Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:40 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,661,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnisha View Post
Hi guys, I am a black professional, 30 year old single mother, with a 3 year old son; and I want to make the move from Chicago to Charlotte in the next 2 to 3 months. I honestly don't know where to begin. I want to live in an area with good schools (even at the PreK level), great neighborhoods, a nice lounge and night life as well as one that has some faces that look like mine. A low crime area with apartments that are under $900 - $1000 per month until I purchase a home there in the next few years.

Anyone on the thread familiar with neighborhoods like this that I can use as atleast a starting point?
Sorry for having gotten off topic.

As you get closer to downtown (Uptown) Charlotte, the area grows in uniqueness, as much of south Charlotte is dominated by chain restaurants and stores.

Ballantyne has a lot of what you're looking for, though I can't comment too much on the "nightlife" aspect of it there.

It is in your price range; is safe; good schools, and convenient. It'd put you in a good spot, geographically, if and when you look to buy a house.

Elizabeth offers more in the way (proximity) to nightlife, is safe, but rents are climbing all across the city.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:48 AM

43 posts, read 92,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Yet you chose to live here. You go girl! Sorry if nobody has asked you out on a date, but it isn't the city's fault.
First of all, I'm already dating someone, so no concerns there. Second of all, it's not my fault that this city is boring as all get out and I'm planning to leave as soon as I can find a job back where I used to live. She wanted to know what it's like to live here, so I gave her my opinion.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM

436 posts, read 446,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenityk View Post
First of all, I'm already dating someone, so no concerns there. Second of all, it's not my fault that this city is boring as all get out and I'm planning to leave as soon as I can find a job back where I used to live. She wanted to know what it's like to live here, so I gave her my opinion.

I am sure that your boredom consists mostly of sitting home and going no where. I know people from all over the world that love it here. The simple reason is that they get involved in the theater, clubs, and other activities. One has to be creative. Charlotte certainly isn't the wildest city in the world, but to be bored would take a person that is oblivious to his/her surroundings. I have lived in many more places than you, some small, some much larger than Charlotte. I have never been bored anywhere.
It is simply because I looked. So, to say "this city is boring as all get out" is somewhat unintelligent. I bet you have never go to a play, museum, concert, festival, ball game, race, whitewater rafting, visited parks or many other activities that make us not boring. You should be intelligent enough to not assume that a person is not from New Orleans, NYC, or some other action filled place. Your opinion is relative. Seriously, you are in the minority and there again, I am not saying Charlotte is extraordinarily exciting, just exciting. Good luck back in Hooterville. LOL!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I am sure that your boredom consists mostly of sitting home and going no where. I know people from all over the world that love it here. The simple reason is that they get involved in the theater, clubs, and other activities. One has to be creative. Charlotte certainly isn't the wildest city in the world, but to be bored would take a person that is oblivious to his/her surroundings. I have lived in many more places than you, some small, some much larger than Charlotte. I have never been bored anywhere.
It is simply because I looked. So, to say "this city is boring as all get out" is somewhat unintelligent. I bet you have never go to a play, museum, concert, festival, ball game, race, whitewater rafting, visited parks or many other activities that make us not boring. You should be intelligent enough to not assume that a person is not from New Orleans, NYC, or some other action filled place. Your opinion is relative. Seriously, you are in the minority and there again, I am not saying Charlotte is extraordinarily exciting, just exciting. Good luck back in Hooterville. LOL!
I've lived more places than you
I'm prettier than you
I'm cooler than you
I'm smarter than you

Rick Flair has nothing on Richard Rawaon... whooooooo

Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I truly respect your feelings...truly - no sarcasm at all.

Charlotte had many progressive policies that I didn't mind paying for, because I saw the direct benefit of those policies, and the cost of enacting such policies wasn't too high.

When I dump my trash at a York County Recycling center, and see places to dispose of used motor oil, cooking grease, etc...these are things I applaud; things well worth paying for.

But not everywhere is governed as it is here; lots of theft and abuse. Lots of unaccountability...

For example: the school superintendent of Malverne School District in Malverne NY, was recompensed at a rate of over $325,000 per year.

Ridiculous...
I agree there's a lot of mismanagement and abuse; the citizenry has to remain vigilant on that front. But it's not just an issue with the big, bad Northern cities, that's for sure.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
Drifting a thread totally off topic to achieve your personal agendas disrupts the core of this forum which is assist those who are relocating.

Rudeness, off topic posts, flaming, is all covered in the terms of service.

If someone banter is not within the realm of terms of service, report the bad post and they will be handled accordingly.

I'm sorry OP for your thread being derailed, feel free to create another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte