Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM

51 posts, read 81,475 times

Advertisements

I need information about prive schools in Charlotte area. Which are the top ones? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Lots of options there with lots of subjective answers.

Can you narrow down your criteria? What grade levels, search area (north, south, etc.), parochial or secular, looking for big or small?

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM

547 posts, read 773,603 times
This link will break the top private schools down by program
The Best Private School Programs - Charlotte Magazine - January 2010 - Charlotte, NC

Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM

Thank you. My soon is in third grade. I'm not sure yet where I will going to live. My husband works from home and we are flexible with places. For us school is the most important and we are trying to decide between private and public schools. Thanks

Old 01-22-2016, 05:56 AM

110 posts, read 157,748 times
We left Union County schools 3 years ago for Chalotte Christian and could not be happier! Other great schools include: Covenant, Carmel, Providence Day, Charlotte Latin, Country Day. I would suggest scheduling tours. You are probably too late for next year with most private schools but you could start the process for the 2017-2018 school year.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:36 AM

Thank you for your information. I'm looking for all options. Now we live in Ohio and we have a number 1 public school in the state. Is very hard to take the right decision when we live in a small great community with a 5 minutos walking distance from the school.The traffic here is great. But the weather is terrible. All my friends are moving south. We are trying to decide between Charlotte and the suburbs but we didn't take the right decision yet. My husband can work from home and we can choose where we can live. My soon is in 3th grade, loves sports and is very sociable. I don't like cookie cutter houses but I think would be hard to find a good subdivision that is not a cookie cutter. We are looking for homes that are between 375k and 500k with family activities.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupen View Post
Thank you for your information. I'm looking for all options. Now we live in Ohio and we have a number 1 public school in the state. Is very hard to take the right decision when we live in a small great community with a 5 minutos walking distance from the school.The traffic here is great. But the weather is terrible. All my friends are moving south. We are trying to decide between Charlotte and the suburbs but we didn't take the right decision yet. My husband can work from home and we can choose where we can live. My soon is in 3th grade, loves sports and is very sociable. I don't like cookie cutter houses but I think would be hard to find a good subdivision that is not a cookie cutter. We are looking for homes that are between 375k and 500k with family activities.
Cannon School is another. Take a look at Cabarrus County Schools. Cox Mill ES, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:41 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
If you are going Private, check out the Lansdowne subdivision. Much of the neighborhood is walking distance to Providence Day school or at least very close. Houses are not cookie cutter. Country Day is also very close. Plenty of neighborhoods in your price range in this general area which is a very nice one. If you choose public, some of the neighborhoods funnel into Myers Park High School - one of the best ones. (However not Lansdowne which is on the border outside the MP zone.)
Other good high schools in Charlotte are Providence and Ardrey Kell. Any homes in your price range assigned to these high schools will also have good elementary/middle schools. Coming from Ohio, keep in mind that most of the city of Charlotte is very suburban in feeling.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
The big 3 are Country Day, Latin and Providence Day. There are a very limited number of slots in general, and even more so if it isn't a natural entry point like the start of middle school or high school. And even then, a lot of the slots may go to siblings/alumni kids etc.

Other options would be Cannon and Davidson Day up north, as well as more religiously based schools like Charlotte Christian or one of the Catholic Elementary schools.

Keep in mind that many of the kids at the private schools may not live in the immediate area of the school.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Charlotte Preparatory school has a good k-6 offering as well.

No knock against any decision you make for your children but you should also give the public option a look depending on where you live. We have some great public schools in CMS that serve all kinds of the richest and poorest students with all kinds of abilities. Be careful which advice you take regarding the public school offering because they are often narrow-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte