Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:45 AM

8 posts, read 11,389 times

Advertisements

Hi!! So my family may be possibly moving to this area and I was just curious what kind of town it is? Not a lot online. We currently live in Florida! Thanks!! Anything would be awesome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 11:41 AM

436 posts, read 446,497 times
Mooresville is actually divided by old city (east of I-77 and the lake side, west of I-77) The old city consists of older homes and downtown that is loaded with antique shops, some good restaurants, an old 50s-60s drive-in restaurant, city hall, etc. It typifies the old Americana city. I suppose that is why movies are sometimes filmed there. People are investing making it more attractive to outsiders.

On the newer side, traffic can be a real pain in the neck. It has every imaginable convenience and chain, i.e. BJs, Lowes, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, many, many restaurants of which some are very good. It is the home of Lowes and NASCAR. It is growing very fast with a current population of over 40,000. It is close to Lake Norman, Davidson, Cornelius, and about 25-30 minutes from central Charlotte when it isn't crazy on I-77. There is a major hospital very close by. I believe that it may be a little more blue collar than Davidson and Cornelius, but that isn't a bad thing, just less bankers.

I moved to the area (Lake Norman) from Florida. The only thing I miss is ocean fishing. I now have to drive 3 1/2 hours. I forgot to mention. The schools in Mooresville are outstanding.

Last edited by richard rawaon; 02-06-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Is there anything specific you'd like to know more about?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:03 PM

193 posts, read 496,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhalpin View Post
Hi!! So my family may be possibly moving to this area and I was just curious what kind of town it is? Not a lot online. We currently live in Florida! Thanks!! Anything would be awesome!!
What part of Florida are you moving from? We relocated from there as well, so that may help with a comparison. We have a huge amount of transplants from all over in Mooresville. It's kind of a running joke that it's rare to meet anyone from Mooresville. (although now I have a native, son born here!) The nice part is that even though there are so many transplants literally from around the world, it's not transient (like how I would describe Florida). People who come here seem to really embrace all the area has to offer, and the community really welcomes newcomers. I don't think anyone feels like a stranger for very long. That may be the biggest difference that we noticed when we first moved here from Florida. love to answer any specific questions.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:31 PM

164 posts, read 188,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
It's kind of a running joke that it's rare to meet anyone from Mooresville.
If you are ever in the old part of Mooresville, stop in the old hardware store. We talked to the man that owns it (in his 90's) and he said that it was the only place that he ever worked. After coming home from WWII, he got a job there and eventually bought the store from the previous owner. Cool place too. It's like a time capsule of the 1940s.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCarnegie View Post
If you are ever in the old part of Mooresville, stop in the old hardware store. We talked to the man that owns it (in his 90's) and he said that it was the only place that he ever worked. After coming home from WWII, he got a job there and eventually bought the store from the previous owner. Cool place too. It's like a time capsule of the 1940s.
Agreed. Love going in there and just seeing all the things I didn't know I needed. And he is a very personable guy, I'm sure he's got plenty of great stories.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times

Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 PM

142 posts, read 439,804 times
We just moved to Mooresville 5 weeks ago, from South Florida. So far so good! My biggest thing I love...everyone is SOOOO FRIENDLY! I absolutely love that. We were in the driveway of our new house only 45 minutes and has 3 new neighbors stop by to say hi. Within the first week, we met about 5 more. I know the names of more neighbors in 5 weeks than I did the entire 3.5 years of living in Florida! Anything specific?

The schools seem to be great all through Mooresville. I like that it's a little smaller than what I'm used to, but still has everything you could think of. There are 4 seasons...and my Florida kids were in awe of snow and couldn't get enough of it!! They even acclimated quickly to the cold weather, which honestly shocked me!!

Anyway, so far so good...but what are you looking for? Where in Florida are you now? What do you like or not like? What are you hoping NC to be like??

Old 02-10-2016, 09:30 AM

66 posts, read 59,359 times
Hi
We are new in Mooresville and really love this area. People are very friendly and polite, we feel safe here, the schools are great. Our kids go to Lake Norman elementary and Mt Mourne where the teachers and the school staffs are awesome.
We do not have the issue with the I77 trafic as we go west-east, but I guess that it's a little complicated for people who commute to Charlotte city.
In term of kids activities, you have many choices for the sport, but very less for the music, so if you are more oriented art, music, ... Davidson and Cornelius suit you more. We found a great violin teacher here for our daughter, but she is moving to Cornelius, and we have to reconsider this as it will take us almost 90 minutes of trafic for dropping and pick up my daughter, even Cornelius is not far from here. Paintfull to find out a guitar or piano teachers in the area too!!!!
Good luck for your research

Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,410,252 times
Somehow, someway many years ago, drones of transplants started moving to Mooresville. I'm not sure the reason, maybe the good schools or lower taxes I have heard about.

I honestly can't see the appeal at all, unless you just enjoy sitting in traffic one way for over an hour to and from Charlotte everyday. Lowes Corporate is there, which is where many of the folks in Mooresville work. It is a bit boring to me, the suburbs with lots of new housing and chain restaurants everywhere. If you are looking for mixed culture, nightlife or unique restaurants do not look at Mooresville. If you enjoy Lake living, Nascar, and lower taxes I guess I could see the appeal somehow. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte