Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 AM

45 posts, read 154,830 times

Advertisements

Do you have to register your auto and obtain your North Carolina drivers license in the county you reside, OR, can you go to any of the dmv branches outside your county to receive a N.C. drivers license and license plates?
If I live in Mecklenberg county can I get my licenses in Union county?
Also, can I register to vote at the same ofice that I receive my N.C. licenses?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,770 times
I always go to the Mooresville DMV for my license and I live in Meck.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
You can do it any North Carolina county you will need proof of insurance amoung many other documents to prove you are you at the DMV and if you use a S.S card it must have your full name no intials
You will need a NCDL to get tags and they are in dffererent locations since the tag office is a private entity that is governed by the state.
I thought the location on Idlewild was large and not busy. Avoid the afternoons and end of the month since that is when they are the most busiest.

You can register to vote at the DMV

Old 02-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You can do it any North Carolina county you will need proof of insurance amoung many other documents to prove you are you at the DMV and if you use a S.S card it must have your full name no intials
You will need a NCDL to get tags and they are in dffererent locations since the tag office is a private entity that is governed by the state.
I thought the location on Idlewild was large and not busy. Avoid the afternoons and end of the month since that is when they are the most busiest.

thank you for the great info!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I always go to the Mooresville DMV for my license and I live in Meck.
Is it a big office with plenty of seating? Were the lines long?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,770 times
No not to bad. Mind you I was there to renew. If your having to take the test I think you can make an appt. I am not 100% on that.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
No not to bad. Mind you I was there to renew. If your having to take the test I think you can make an appt. I am not 100% on that.
I just moved here from Indianapolis, so, I have to take the driver test, get the emission test, and register my car.
I'm hoping the offices at Monroe are not as crowded, or at least have a place to sit. Also hoping its in a nicer area than the one near Idlewild.
Is there a site online where I can get an estimate for the tax charged when I plate my car? I hear its expensive to register a car and get new license plates.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 PM

21 posts, read 97,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

You are incorrect you do NOT need an NC DL to register and license a vehicle I still have my FL D/L and have registered 3 cars in NC.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyP View Post
You are incorrect you do NOT need an NC DL to register and license a vehicle I still have my FL D/L and have registered 3 cars in NC.
Since September 15, 2007?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 97,288 times
Yep the last one was in December unless they didn't check my license cause the last one we were transferring a plate and the dealership did it for us

Why did the law change??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte