Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 PM

108 posts, read 145,343 times

Advertisements

We're considering renting a property near Sam Wilson Rd and Bedford rd just NW of the airport East of Belmont. Looks like the area is called Westmoreland. Is this area safe ? Being from PA rough neighborhoods don't look the same in Charlotte and I can't tell from google maps if it's an "ok" area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,585,696 times
try Crime in Charlotte, NC

or looking at

Charlotte Mecklenburg Living

there should be a link that shows crimes per area

Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,250 times
ATL, that is way too close to Wilkinson Blvd and Tuckaseegee Rd for my comfort level. Even if you are a hardened city dweller, you could do better! We may be able to point you in a better direction if you give us a price range.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
try Crime in Charlotte, NC

or looking at

Charlotte Mecklenburg Living

there should be a link that shows crimes per area
Thanks. Good site. Now I have to assess if this area is normal from these results :

Reported Incidents that occured within 0.5 mile of Singing Pine Road between 1/1/2007 and 8/12/2007.

Incident Type Count
Larceny-Other 7
Commercial Burglary 5
Larceny from Auto 5
Non-aggravated Assault 4
Vandalism 3
Auto Theft 2
Worthless Check 2
Aggravated Assault-Gun 1
Fraud 1
Other Criminal Charge 1
Other Non-criminal Incident 1
Possession of Opium, Cocaine Derivative 1
Residential Burglary 1

Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
ATL, that is way too close to Wilkinson Blvd and Tuckaseegee Rd for my comfort level. Even if you are a hardened city dweller, you could do better! We may be able to point you in a better direction if you give us a price range.

Thanks for the "heads up" based on what I just found out I think we're ruling out this property. It's a shame only 7 miles to work.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm now looking to rent a home in the Steele Creek area 2.0 miles from Rivergate Shopping Center. The thing that makes me nervous is the landlord is recommending to drive around the neighborhood first. Last time one of them said that I found out the property was near a "war zone".

Is this ok to stay for a year or wil I regret it ? The crime reports checked out pretty much 'OK', certainly not flawless. I read some "shakey" responses about Steele Creek and can't get a pulse on it. I was at Rivergate Shopping Center and all seemed fine. But the Southern neighborhoods can be much more deceiving when it comes to a NOT so great area compared to the North. I'm hoping this is a good area since we like the home but again I get nervous when the landlord recommends driving by the property/neighborhood before you apply.

"house is in Withers Grove, part of the Planter's Walk subdivision just down Steel Creek Road from the Rivergate Shopping Center"

As always your thoughts appreciated, Thank you.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,250 times
Certainly better than the last option you posted. That area is growing, and not immune from incidents. Regardless of area I like your landlord's advice. It is important to walk or drive the street and area at rush hour so you can see the people coming home and the activity of the area as well as during the night (8-10pm) as well as weekends. Check with CMPD to see of specific instances of crime, if any, in that neighborhood and on your street.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 45,729 times
The area surrounding Sam Wilson Rd. is not bad. That part of Tuckaseegee Road is not the "gang" area - the bad part of Tuckasegee Road is closer to I-85 at Freedom Drive. I probably would rent a home there.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound View Post
I'm now looking to rent a home in the Steele Creek area 2.0 miles from Rivergate Shopping Center. The thing that makes me nervous is the landlord is recommending to drive around the neighborhood first. Last time one of them said that I found out the property was near a "war zone".

Is this ok to stay for a year or wil I regret it ? The crime reports checked out pretty much 'OK', certainly not flawless. I read some "shakey" responses about Steele Creek and can't get a pulse on it. I was at Rivergate Shopping Center and all seemed fine. But the Southern neighborhoods can be much more deceiving when it comes to a NOT so great area compared to the North. I'm hoping this is a good area since we like the home but again I get nervous when the landlord recommends driving by the property/neighborhood before you apply.

"house is in Withers Grove, part of the Planter's Walk subdivision just down Steel Creek Road from the Rivergate Shopping Center"

As always your thoughts appreciated, Thank you.

Steele Creek is much better than the first option, but property crime is probably your biggest concern there. About 2 miles south on Hwy 160 is Fort Mill and tega Cay, SC, but not all too many rental homes I know of there.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks to all. I'm using craigslist Charlotte in finding these properties. I wish I knew we were gonna rent when I visited a few weeks ago. I would of checked out these properties/areas. At the time I thought we we're buying in Tega Cay but are waiting to sell up here. My wife and I need a small home or ranch to rent since we have two labs. What areas are nice/normal to rent within 30 mins to airport in any direction preferably South of airport besides Fort Mill/Tega Cay ? But at this point I'll take any direction. Our budget is up tp $1,300/month. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte