Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM

53 posts, read 97,275 times

Advertisements

List: 78 Sears, Kmart stores closing

The store is in a good location, across from the Carolina place mall. I wonder what store will replace it. The store is supposed to close by the end of July. I heard that the Kmart's lease on that building is not actually up until September 2017 so I wonder how they are getting out of the lease a year early unless there is already another business lined up to moved in once Kmart leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
They're probably not. Cheaper not just pay the lease on an empty store than to keep it open and lose more money. That would pretty much be the situation in each store they just announced to close this year. If some wants to sublet it from them, or work out a new, longer term lease with the owner.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:25 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
I believe the Gastonia Kmart may also be closing. And unfortunately more Sears and Kmart stores are expected to eventually be closing.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I believe the Gastonia Kmart may also be closing. And unfortunately more Sears and Kmart stores are expected to eventually be closing.
Used to be a Sears family, with Kenmore vacuums, washer, dryers, etc.

Family used to have service contracts with Sears, until it got to the point where it became difficult to arrange service calls (excessive time to get a repair technician). They even got stood up a few times.

Craftsmen tool quality has gone WAY downhill.

It's no surprise they aren't doing well.

A shame...

Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Used to be a Sears family, with Kenmore vacuums, washer, dryers, etc.

Family used to have service contracts with Sears, until it got to the point where it became difficult to arrange service calls (excessive time to get a repair technician). They even got stood up a few times.

Craftsmen tool quality has gone WAY downhill.

It's no surprise they aren't doing well.

A shame...
As an Allstate employee family, we were the same way. Then, in the 80's Sears took away the employee discount from Allstate employees. Thought is cost too much. Found out Allstate employees spent $80 million/yr at Sears. Lost all of those sales, most of which were on Sears credit cards @ 21%. But, people didn't mind, figuring it went back into profit sharing. Gave it back after a couple of years, but the damage was done.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
As an Allstate employee family, we were the same way. Then, in the 80's Sears took away the employee discount from Allstate employees. Thought is cost too much. Found out Allstate employees spent $80 million/yr at Sears. Lost all of those sales, most of which were on Sears credit cards @ 21%. But, people didn't mind, figuring it went back into profit sharing. Gave it back after a couple of years, but the damage was done.
Your post brought back memories...

I also remember Sears having a relationship with Discover Card?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I also remember Sears having a relationship with Discover Card?
I think Sears started Discover, then spun it off.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think Sears started Discover, then spun it off.
That is correct.

Also, the Sears Financial Network. Allstate, Coldwell Banker and Dean Witter. All 3 of us would share a booth in a Sears store. I worked that way as an Allstate Agent for 3 years from 84-87.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower77 View Post
List: 78 Sears, Kmart stores closing

The store is in a good location, across from the Carolina place mall. I wonder what store will replace it. The store is supposed to close by the end of July. I heard that the Kmart's lease on that building is not actually up until September 2017 so I wonder how they are getting out of the lease a year early unless there is already another business lined up to moved in once Kmart leaves.
Surprised K-Mart has lasted this long. It really is a relic of the 1980s.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,834 times
K-mart was fantastic in it's day. I was a softlines Manager for them before they started closing stores and they were wonderful to their employees. It was a great place to work. It's so sad to see what it's become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte