Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,432 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at leaving southern California when we retire in 18 months or so and moving to Charlotte. Having looked extensively at Zillow and Realtor, it seems that housing prices run the gamut from multimillion dollar homes to ones that are less than $100,000. We are definitely not wanting a large McMansion, and in fact would love a Craftsman-style bungalow in the 200-250 range. Where are the best suburbs around Charlotte that would have those kind of homes for a moderate price? It seems like Chantilly, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Park are ridiculously priced, and I wondered if there were other areas to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 06:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
Good Luck! Charlotte was a very small city when those kinds of neighborhoods were being built. Therefore they are rare and in short supply, hence the high prices. You might try the currently gentrifying areas - Wesley Heights, Wilmore, Noda, Villa Heights and areas to the east of Plaza Midwood. All of these areas are rapidly increasing in price. We would also like a house/neighborhood like this but have had to settle for a more typically Charlotte neighborhood of brick ranch houses.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzle View Post
My husband and I are looking at leaving southern California when we retire in 18 months or so and moving to Charlotte. Having looked extensively at Zillow and Realtor, it seems that housing prices run the gamut from multimillion dollar homes to ones that are less than $100,000. We are definitely not wanting a large McMansion, and in fact would love a Craftsman-style bungalow in the 200-250 range. Where are the best suburbs around Charlotte that would have those kind of homes for a moderate price? It seems like Chantilly, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Park are ridiculously priced, and I wondered if there were other areas to look.
Look west of Charlotte. The towns are established & are not boomtowns. If you find something that you like, ask us questions about those locations.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 PM

298 posts, read 628,268 times
I am also from Southern CA and have recently moved to Charlotte permanently. It depends on what you are looking for. The areas close to uptown Charlotte have a more city feel but not too far from there it will feel rural to you. I live in Mooresville and it is less busy than a city but it has enough of what you need. It is also nice to be near the lake. One of my favorite places is Davidson but it is a little more expensive, but probably still less than uptown Charlotte. Davidson reminds me a little of Old Town Orange. I do hear good things about areas west of Charlotte, as someone else mentioned. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Thanks for your responses! You provide information about the area that's difficult to find online. Loveorangecounty, Mooresville seems like a lovely town, and the very kind of place we're looking for. What about Gastonia? I see that the housing is reasonably priced and not too far from Charlotte.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses! You provide information about the area that's difficult to find online. Loveorangecounty, Mooresville seems like a lovely town, and the very kind of place we're looking for. What about Gastonia? I see that the housing is reasonably priced and not too far from Charlotte.
I live in Kings Mountain, which is just west of Gastonia. Gastonia has lots of shopping. The Southeast quadrant is much like South Charlotte. There's an older neighborhood called York Chester that is closer to downtown that might appeal to you. I don't recommend it if people have kids in school, but it might work for you.

Gastonia has its own bus system and there is an arrangement with CATS for bus service during rush hour.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
I recommend looking at Concord. Some beautiful old neighborhoods and a nice downtown.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Those aren't "suburbs", they are older, established, very desirable neighborhoods in Charlotte. Do you want to live in Charlotte, or in a true suburb?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:25 PM

Er...what's the difference?

Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
The areas you mention are close to Uptown and proximity is everything.

We moved from Pasadena, CA about 10 years ago. We had a beautiful craftsman in the foothills and I would love to someday get another craftsman, but they are hard to come by in Charlotte.

I live South of the City, in Union County. Waxhaw is a lovely little town with a great old town shopping and dining area that has a lot of foot traffic on the weekends. You can also get older ranch style homes in Waxhaw for less than many other areas.

Since you won't need to worry about schools, you are at an advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte