Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM

57 posts, read 224,364 times

Advertisements

Looked at a great neighborhood in Mint Hill that the wife loved, Stonebridge by Ryan. The houses were huge, price was more than right. Then we found out they have septic tanks. Never had one. Anyone with any experiences, either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
They are a little of a pain. If taken care of septics will last almost forever. You do have to change your lifestyle. Worse yet, you have to teach the rest of your family to change their lifestyle too.

Never again wash any grease down the drain. Grease clogs the septic field leach lines.

Scrape off dinner plates completely before putting them in the sink.

Never use bleach in your laundry. Bleach kills the bacteria needed to break down solids in the septic.

Shorten the showers.

Break up the laundry loads. In other words, do not do 8 loads in one day. Do one to two a day instead.

Every 5-7 years depending on family size you must dig up the lid and have the tank pumped. I think it cost about $320 per 500 gallons. You should have 500 gallons per bedroom per most city codes.

See........that wasn't so bad. Just do these easy but life changing habbits and you will be fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
I've heard of problems with grease but never any of the other items mentioned.

They will last a very long time if maintained properly.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 AM

126 posts, read 412,172 times
I had a septic tank. The above recommendations are right.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM

85 posts, read 428,396 times
With a septic tank you do not have to pay any fees to the local City or County for sewer service. The money saved in that aspect can be put in the bank over a period of time and used for future tank pumping and other repairs.
Make sure the builder gives you detailed information about the septic system that was installed and a drawing showing the location of the tank(s) and drain field lines.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
They are a little of a pain. If taken care of septics will last almost forever. You do have to change your lifestyle. Worse yet, you have to teach the rest of your family to change their lifestyle too.

Never again wash any grease down the drain. Grease clogs the septic field leach lines.

Never use bleach in your laundry. Bleach kills the bacteria needed to break down solids in the septic.

Shorten the showers.

Break up the laundry loads. In other words, do not do 8 loads in one day. Do one to two a day instead.

Every 5-7 years depending on family size you must dig up the lid and have the tank pumped. I think it cost about $320 per 500 gallons. You should have 500 gallons per bedroom per most city codes.

See........that wasn't so bad. Just do these easy but life changing habbits and you will be fine.
I agree with above statements. Once you get use to these habits it really maintenance free.
I would like to also add do not drive any heavy equipment like vehicles over the lines so it a good idea to know where the lines are laid out.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I agree with above statements. Once you get use to these habits it really maintenance free.
I would like to also add do not drive any heavy equipment like vehicles over the lines so it a good idea to know where the lines are laid out.
I agree . . . the list that DesertSun made is what one is always told to do these days.

Having said that, let me explain that I grew up in a rural area where everyone had a septic tank. And I have a second home w/ a septic tank, and I have always used bleach - everyone I know uses bleach and have never heard of anyone having problems b/c of it. Also, never knew anyone to have to dig up a septic tank (I had to put in new lines to one) and have never known anyone to have to pump a tank in less than 15 years. Now I have known people who pumped their tanks more frequently than that b/c they were concerned about preventive maintenance, but I have had septic pumpers tell me that was unnecessary.

I have also had people tell me to regulary use RidX and then I have had septic pumpers tell me it makes not a bit of difference.

All I know is . . . I have never had a problem w/ a septic tank, never have pumped a septic tank . . . did have to replace some collapsed old lines . . .

And grease - no one should put grease down any sink anywhere - it is just as damaging to city lines and causes terrible problems.

Have also heard people say don't use a garbage disposal but have had septic pumpers tell me they were great b/c they prevent bigger chunks of food getting into the lines.

I have always wondered why people worry so much about septic tanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Shorten the showers.

But really, these are ALL things you should be doing even if you don't have a septic tank! Plumbers will tell you, even with a garbage disposal, scrap your plates into a garbage can - don't put food down the drain. And in light of our present water situation, we should all be taking shorter showers and washing small loads of clothes.

I would not hesitate to live on a septic system myself.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
My parents have had the same one for over 23 years in Union County. Maybe 1 or 2 problems along the way, but the rest just typical maintenance and upkeep. As long as your land percs well you should have no problem as long as you don't abuse the system.

All that to say I would not let a septic system keep me from buying a home I'm in love with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte