Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times

Advertisements

Whyte, I haven't done it yet. I did see them in Lowes/HD for about 700-900 depending on size. I was told a plumber would have to install it??? I have no idea honestly but will probably do it some time in the spring when we redo the master bath. I will post when I do it though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
FYI.. I know its kind of an old thread, curious if anyone has had this done recently. With the new tax incentive, you can get a 30% tax rebate. I think a 7.4GPM gas unit will cost me close to if not over $3000, including install. Thats about $900 tax incentive and a lot of places ave some coupons. I am hoping to get it under $2250. 3 people coming over quoting on Monday.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
I have a coworker who installed an electric water heater a couple months ago. He noticed the gas company was out checking his meter. He talked the the gas company representative and the guy was check to see if the meter was broken since his consumption had gone down alot. He told the guy that he had switched to an electric tankless water heater. The gas person stated that my coworker may have to pay a flat fee instead of a usage fee now that he isnt using alot. Didn't know there was such a thing as that type of payment. I guess the gas company wants to get their money even if you dont use their service alot. Might be something to ask about when you are getting your quote.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Sure, it's a minimum service fee, just like for your phone.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Good lord. For that kind of money you should consider a solar hot water heater. Otherwise, I would get one of the $150 jobs at Lowes.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Good lord. For that kind of money you should consider a solar hot water heater. Otherwise, I would get one of the $150 jobs at Lowes.

Just curious........How much are solar hot water heaters? I just put in a contract on a house today that needs lots of work. It is in the perfect location for a Solar H2O heater. I am open to all options.

Since I will own this new home for a long time I would also consider a tankless heater. What do you guys think is best?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
What $150 "job" are you referring to? Even a standard 50 gallon gas tank is about $800 no including install. A tankless ranges from $800 to $1500 depending on capacity. I am not doing it primarily for the energy save, though thats a nice benefit. I am doing it for the space save.

Also, I sticking with gas, so I will still have a gas bill, but in the summer its only $20 anyway.. so I doubt I can get it lower.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
We have a tankless water heater (propane).We were used to a similar system in the UK-called combi boilers-that was used for heating and "as required" hot water.
It does take a while for the water to run hot out of the faucet, and the further you are from the tank the longer it takes, but that isn't a problem-having hot water constantly sitting in a tank even when you don't need it is!

The water heater was in the house when we bought it and is about 20 years old.It doesn't really have enough BTUs to heat enough water to allow for 2 hot water appliances to be running at once, so would recommend making sure folks check that out.

You can also get individual wall mounted ones for fitting next to a hot water outlet ie kitchen, bathroom,laundry etc.

We were given a quote of $2500 for supply and installation of a new one with suff BTUs for 2 showers (I think about 4-5 gallons per minute flow).
We are just waiting for the old one to die and then I think we will also look at the option of solar panels for hot water, maybe backed up by something else.
No real idea of the coat but the green living forum on here might be a good place to look.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
What $150 "job" are you referring to? Even a standard 50 gallon gas tank is about $800 no including install. A tankless ranges from $800 to $1500 depending on capacity. I am not doing it primarily for the energy save, though thats a nice benefit. I am doing it for the space save.

Also, I sticking with gas, so I will still have a gas bill, but in the summer its only $20 anyway.. so I doubt I can get it lower.
Just checked HD for tankless 50gal $298.

I just did the following: (reading from the invoice)

Provide and install new 40 gal hot water heater
Install new valves (had every cutoff valve changed in house)
Install all new connections to meet code (change from crappy to code)
Remove old toilet and install new 12" rough size white toilet and seat
Install new shower head
All materials and labor $1400

Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Just checked HD for tankless 50gal $298.

I just did the following: (reading from the invoice)

Provide and install new 40 gal hot water heater
Install new valves (had every cutoff valve changed in house)
Install all new connections to meet code (change from crappy to code)
Remove old toilet and install new 12" rough size white toilet and seat
Install new shower head
All materials and labor $1400
HD?
I was looking at tankless they are rated gpm, not by size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte