Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataliNC View Post
I have a Master's degree in Teaching ESL, and another Undergraduate degree in economics and management. Unfortunately I do not have an offical Master's transcript, so I cannot use it.
I was hoping to get an uncertified position in NC school system so that I would get an experience in teaching/assisting/substituting. I can apply for NC license in April 2009.

I was going to get a MacDonald's job as soon as we arrived... or waiting tables if i have to.

I do not have any normal work-related experience, that's why i doubt that any employment agency would want to help me.
Can you use a computer? Are you familiar w/ MSWord, Excel, Power Point? Emphasize this on your application. If you can type and do data input, that will be enuff to start.

NC can make special arrangements if you want to teach. There is a B certificate here. Talk to school systems and find out what you would need to do to get your foot in the door w/ a teaching position - and how to upgrade your education requirements to get an A certificate. I have not taught in decades so am not savvy with all this - hopefully someone else will post who is. However, I do know enuff to assure you that b/c of a teacher shortage, principals do have the authority to hire in certain circumstances if you are working on your A certificate. Research this; you may find a school is willing to hire you as an asst. and then guide you to b/cm certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Just fyi, bring your resume with you and be prepared to take a typing test and computer skills test. You might be there a little while 1-2 hrs as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 AM

43 posts, read 395,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Typically, I would warn not to come here w/o a job. However, youth is on your side and since you are both starting out and it appears you are unencumbered by financial responsibilities and children . . . if you are ever going to take a risk . . . now would be the most propitious time to do it.
That's what I am thinking.... to take a risk.... we do not have children and we are not picky

It will take forever for my husband to finish his bachelor's. We cannot stay with his parents any longer (I do not think they are happy having us there) and we have used almost all of our savings... Moreover, I absolutely hate Alabama . I can apply for a teaching license in a year, and I wouldn't want to get it in Alabama.

hmmm.. Do you think it's better to rent an apt for a short period (in case if we find jobs that are far away from it) or is it better to have a 12-months lease (which is usually cheaper)?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM

20 posts, read 86,119 times
[quote=NataliNC;2947879]I know, I have read many posts saying that a person should not move anywhere without securing a job first. But...

Here's my situation. We live in country area of Alabama with my husband's parents. We've been looking for jobs since July. There are no jobs within 50 miles except the Chicken Factory. We MUST move somewhere in 2 weeks. We were thinking about moving to North Carolina, Charlotte area. We made a trip to NC last summer, and we loved it there much more than AL.

We were trying to find jobs on-line, but no luck . I am looking for a position of a teacher's assistant or substitute (though it's hard to find as it's not the beginning of the school year). My husband is getting his Bachelor's in Business Administration and he is going to try to find an enty position in that area.

Do you think it is insane to move to Charlotte without having a job? We would be ok living in a small studio or 1-bedroom (about $500-$600/month).

If you were me, what would you do? Move to another place in Alabama or move to Charlotte?[/quo
I WOULD MOVE TO CHARLOTTE

Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM

117 posts, read 385,810 times
It seems like there are a lot of people out here trying to make this hard decision! Our family definetly can not move without one of us having a job. We have 2 kids so we have to have income coming in. The dilema I'm battling is do I want to leave the job I have now making ~$36,000/year for a $12.00/hr temp job. Any suggestions. I know I can take that until I'm able to get on my feet and get something more permanent. Anyone experienced this before?

I've been looking on careerbuilder and monster and charlotte observer website and they have so many jobs through temp agencies so you should check it out OP. Do it while you're young girl!!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NC can make special arrangements if you want to teach. There is a B certificate here. Talk to school systems and find out what you would need to do to get your foot in the door w/ a teaching position - and how to upgrade your education requirements to get an A certificate. I have not taught in decades so am not savvy with all this - hopefully someone else will post who is. However, I do know enuff to assure you that b/c of a teacher shortage, principals do have the authority to hire in certain circumstances if you are working on your A certificate. Research this; you may find a school is willing to hire you as an asst. and then guide you to b/cm certified.
I am going to contact the State Board of Education and all the neighbouring school districts as soon as we arrive to NC. The only great problem with my Master's degree is that I was studying overseas. It will take some time to transfer here.

Ok, we're moving then We'll be in Charlotte in 15 days . I hope we like it as much as we did last summer

Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 AM

117 posts, read 385,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataliNC View Post
I am going to contact the State Board of Education and all the neighbouring school districts as soon as we arrive to NC. The only great problem with my Master's degree is that I was studying overseas. It will take some time to transfer here.

Ok, we're moving then We'll be in Charlotte in 15 days . I hope we like it as much as we did last summer
Wow you're moving in 15 days!!! That was quick! I wish it were that easy for me!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBound View Post
Wow you're moving in 15 days!!! That was quick! I wish it were that easy for me!
That's why we're moving now (before we have kids)...as we plan to have a child in two years.... I think i would be scared much more if I had them...

Good luck to you too! I think that you definitely need at least one income to make a move because you have two kids...

Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
There is a great need for ESL teachers in the area. If there's any way that you can get your MA in ESL authenticated, you would probably have an easy time getting a job. The area community colleges have ESL programs, as do the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and UNC Charlotte.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 AM

38 posts, read 113,326 times
I don't want to rain on your parade, but moving is not that simple. There are so many things that you need to consider. I know that you are ready for change, but it sounds to me like you are running from something (i.e, problematic relationships, finances, housing issues, etc.) Getting a fresh start in a new environment is often times very beneficial, but it takes more than 15 days to prepare. Perhaps you and your husband should consider career coaching services/life coaching to help you get on track. The last thing that you need or want is to make a huge move to Charlotte and then get here and end up with more un-addressed needs and hardships for accomplishing your goals and maintaining every day needs. Think about it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: