Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,676,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thanks MM..That's all I wanted to know and hear

Sorry, himain, but your original post exposed yourself to argument with the comment about Ruth Chris'.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM

330 posts, read 1,037,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Great idea, have the gov't regulate trans fat because of the overall health risks and affect on medical ins rates in the long term. And while we're at it, why don't we just go ahead and have the gov't regulate cigarettes or better yet, ban them all together, because if you want to compare the impact that trans fat and cigarettes has had on medical insurance...yes, heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S., cigarette smoking is a proven health risk for heart disease as well as causes COPD (which is the 4th leading cause of death in the US), as well as a proven risk of numerous types of Cancer and a complication of disease in just about every organ system of the body. This is all proven medical info that you're more than welcome to look up yourself. So, good idea, if we're going to go along with overall impact of the health ins. rates, I think cigarette smoking definitely should be banned. Good idea.
So now we want to ban risky behavior because of costs incurred by health insurance companies. Okay, let's take this to its logical conclusion:

Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of accidental death in this country. It is time to ban all forms of motor transport. Luckily, since trans fats and smoking will have already been banned, people will be able to walk much further distances. The only problem with people walking a lot, is that it potentially leads to falling.

Falls are the second leading cause of accidental death in this country. Due to this, we should also ban stairs, bathtubs, puddles, bananas (due to their risky peels) and clumsiness. Banning clumsiness will be tricky, but we all know the government is competent and will come up with a solution for us. Perhaps we need to limit the amount of walking people do, to minimize the falling risk. We can always bring back motor vehicles ....

I am glad that despite the ridiculous nature of politics in North Carolina, there are still some sane politicians who aren't giving in to the idea of government intervention into personal matters to appease those who know what is better for everyone else.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,248,597 times
Quote:
So now we want to ban risky behavior because of costs incurred by health insurance companies. Okay, let's take this to its logical conclusion:

Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of accidental death in this country. It is time to ban all forms of motor transport. Luckily, since trans fats and smoking will have already been banned, people will be able to walk much further distances. The only problem with people walking a lot, is that it potentially leads to falling.

Falls are the second leading cause of accidental death in this country. Due to this, we should also ban stairs, bathtubs, puddles, bananas (due to their risky peels) and clumsiness. Banning clumsiness will be tricky, but we all know the government is competent and will come up with a solution for us. Perhaps we need to limit the amount of walking people do, to minimize the falling risk. We can always bring back motor vehicles ....

I am glad that despite the ridiculous nature of politics in North Carolina, there are still some sane politicians who aren't giving in to the idea of government intervention into personal matters to appease those who know what is better for everyone else.
First off, this post wasn't even meant for you, it was meant for Carolina Guy, obviously in response to HIS answer.
Secondly, banning anything that can logically cause harm to others is a great idea. Driving you can't ban, but you can ban "drinking and driving" which makes it safer. Smoking, you can't ban (obviously), but you can ban places where you smoke so others aren't being harmed.
All it comes down to, is that I shouldn't have to be exposed to cigarette smoking hazards if I don't smoke.
If a smoker is at a restaurant and wants to smoke, smoke outside the restaurant before, after, and while eating.
Why must I breathe in the smoke.
Geez, what is the deal?!!!
It's just respect for others, or have we lost that now too.

BTW, you do realize that your reply was ridiculous, right? Banning stairs, bath tubs, etc.
Seriously, if someone else falls in a tub, how does it affect ME if I'm not the one who fell?
I'll be CAREFUL.
If I choose to take stairs, then I know the risks. If I choose to take a bath, I know the risks.
If I choose NOT TO SMOKE, I shouldn't have to be around it.
NOW if someone smokes in my face, that DOES affect me. How should I becareful to avoid this?
NEVER GO OUT MAYBE? Come on now.
Again, respect and common courtesy for others is appreciated.

I'm not replying anymore on this thread, it has got way out of control, ridiculous, and I see who has and has no respect for fellow indivduals. It's obvious.

Last edited by AJ1972; 03-03-2008 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post

Hey LAMF, can I borrow your bubble? Mine is busted. Thanks for illustrating further the point I was trying to make.

To the dismay of AJ, government intervention is a terrible idea.

Oh, and let's not forget we should ban cell phones since they lead to brain cancer. And dodgeball and kickball should definitely be banned because of the risk of injury. Oh yeah, we definitely have to ban peanut butter because of all the allergies. Burn the peanuts! Burn the peanuts!! Oh wait, the smoke might kill somebody.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,744,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post

Insurance companies already do charge higher premiums for "riskier" drivers/cars. So its not that far fetched....

This is a tough issue for me. I see both sides to the argument. As a former smoker, I HATE being in places here w/cigarette smoke (non-smoking sections are a joke). Wish it was totally banned, BUT I do see the issue of rights of private establishments...

This always will come down to $$ and who has the strongest lobbyists in Raleigh and D.C.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 AM

330 posts, read 1,037,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Insurance companies already do charge higher premiums for "riskier" drivers/cars. So its not that far fetched....
This is a free market solution. Kudos for pointing that out.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM

195 posts, read 539,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Your response is quite illogical. It is illegal to drive under the influence so that is a moot point. You are using public roads in which no one has a choice to go from point A to point B. In contrast, a privately-owned restaurant is a not a public establishment and in fact you have a plethora of options to choose from. It is no different than the government telling me I cannot smoke in my own house because it infringes upon your right to be in a nonsmoking environment if you choose to come visit me. My private home is the same as a private restaurant. I'll ignore your last comment so we can keep this thread open.

I just thought I would point out that yes it is illegal to drive under the influence because The Government stepped in and made it illegal. Which is a good thing, because like second hand smoke, driving under the influence could and does lead to death. Death not only to the one driving, but also to innocent bystandards.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,318 times
It would be quite difficult to implement a BAN on Smoking - although it is my wish that someday we will all live in SMOKE FREE communities (i.e. housing, restaurants, bars, parks especially where playgrounds exist, public places such as transit malls and govt bldgs). It will happen very soon where there will be an ORDINANCE for NO SMOKING in restaurants and bars. We need all the support and advocates as possible.

BE A SMOKE FREE ADVOCATE. Go to Smoke-Free Mecklenburg: Good for health. Good for business. or www.goforatmosphere.com Sign the Petition. I DID!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Strong View Post
I just thought I would point out thant yes it is illegal to drive under the influence because The Government stepped in and made it illegal. Which is a good thing, because like second hand smoke, driving under the influence could and does lead to death. Death not only to the one driving, but also to innocent bystandards.
You totally missed the point. The reason why driving under the influence is because the public has no other option to get to and fro. The roads are part of public infrastructure. A restaurant, OTOH, is not a public establishment and no one is forcing you to frequent that smoking or non smoking facility.

To put it bluntly, I would have no problem with a highly intoxicated individual getting behind the wheel of a car and driving on his own property! The public is in no harm for his deliquency.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina Ramirez View Post
It would be quite difficult to implement a BAN on Smoking - although it is my wish that someday we will all live in SMOKE FREE communities (i.e. housing, restaurants, bars, parks especially where playgrounds exist, public places such as transit malls and govt bldgs). It will happen very soon where there will be an ORDINANCE for NO SMOKING in restaurants and bars. We need all the support and advocates as possible.

BE A SMOKE FREE ADVOCATE. Go to Smoke-Free Mecklenburg: Good for health. Good for business. or www.goforatmosphere.com Sign the Petition. I DID!
Ok, think I have the answer to all of this nonsense.

Let's ban the following behavior or items since they could pose a risk to somebody at some time:

Alcohol
Trans fat
Sugar
Homosexual activity(STDs)
Promiscuity or sex outside of wedlock (STDs and pregnancies)
Adultery
Guns
NASCAR
Martial Arts
All Contact Sports
Talk Radio

Got anything else to add while I'm at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte