Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM

45 posts, read 109,537 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiancee and I will be moving from Tucson, AZ to Charlotte at the end of the month and I will be working for Husqvarna off of Statesville road just inside 485.

We have been having trouble trying to figure out which areas would be best for us. We are looking to live in the suburbs, but do not know much about the area. My fiancee is an elementary teacher, so she would like to be close to good schools.

Some of our friends in town suggested looking at Huntersville or Cornelius. From everything we have heard/read the traffic is horrendous in this area. I would like to keep my commute to 40 minutes or less, and our budget for a rental house is probably around $1500 or less.

We are a young couple and would love to live in a family friendly community or somewhere close to running/walking trails and parks. We enjoy outdoor activities, but also want easy access to grocery stores and restaurants.

Does anyone have any suggestions for areas or neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 9,979 times
Hi,
We just relocated from Chicago here last month. We're in the south end of Charlotte (near Matthews) due to my job being in Monroe. We love it and there are a lot of great neighborhoods around the city. You might be able to locate in the SW side of city and take 485 up there for work. Schools are great down here. Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
I would not live SW of the city to commute to Husqvarna. There are plenty of places for you to look and have a doable commute. You can look in Huntersville and I would look off of Gilead Road (exit 23 off Exit 77). You could also look off of Eastfield Road and even into Highland Creek.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
Definitely check out Huntersville. Your commute should be 20 mins or less from most areas of Huntersville. Plenty of schools in that area for your wife to teach at, but check job boards for openings. Check out "Birkdale Village" in Huntersville for an idea of some of the restaurants in the area. You also aren't far from Davidson (adorable downtown with liberal arts college), Cornelius (upscale lake town), and Northlake Mall for some shopping.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 PM

45 posts, read 109,537 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. We have some friends that live down in Fort Mill. Of course they would love it if we lived down there, but from what it sounds like, that may be too far of a commute.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,172 times
Huntersville et al is probably one of the best communities you could go to, but there are plenty of other communities quite a bit closer to the plant. Not sure how bad traffic is these days as 485 may change the commute time but i used to travel in the other direction for years and 77 south in the morning was a parking lot. perhaps you can look at google maps during rush hour to determine commute times from various areas. much of the southern wedge (imagine a pie shaped wedge starting in downtown) have good communities interspersed in the area. the bad news is that there is no one obvious choice. the good news is that means there are plenty of choices. for rent, Ballantyne is probably the closest nice area with restauants, etc. not sure if a rental house can get you into the $1500 range but you could probably get a townhome there. Arboretum is a bit further away but that does have some nice restaurants etc. Matthews has some great trails but the restaurants may be a tad less than others. Dilworth is great for the food but i'd doubt you'd find any rental properties at that point. going further south towards Tyvola just east of South Blvd may be a good compromised as you'd have access to the South Blvd corridor as well as Southpark Mall area. the whole south blvd corridor is really being built up with condos and apartments but you really don't get suburbia there even though it gives you plenty of city access via the train. I'm not an agent so i am not sure what the pricepoints are in each area but $1500 . You might want to check with a real estate agent that does rentals. i just did a zillow search for rental properties and found units all over the city in good areas.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Huntersville and points north.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:18 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I don't think Matthews to N. Charlotte would be ideal. I used to work in the same office park as Husqvarna, and commuted to/from Matthews. In the morning, about 45 minutes. In the afternoon, at least an hour. Of course longer if there is an accident.
What about University City? I don't know the area too well so maybe someone else can chime in. My supervisor lives out there and loves it. It was a very nice subdivision. I think one of the streets was named Prosperity? Down the street from Publix and restaurants.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 27,056 times
Definitely look into Huntersville, Cornelius and maybe even Davidson. I did the commute from Davidson to exit 18 (where Husq is) and it took about 15-20 mins, depending on the time of the day. The nice thing about these areas is that you can take back roads to get to work (i77 is totally unpredictable). For that reason, I suggest finding a place on the east side of 77, so that you have at least 3 options of back roads.
I would completely avoid going further north (Mooresville), as i77 is practically the only way in (bridge across portion of the lake), so if there is traffic, you are stuck.
Enjoy the move!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:17 PM

364 posts, read 635,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeliving View Post
Definitely look into Huntersville, Cornelius and maybe even Davidson. I did the commute from Davidson to exit 18 (where Husq is) and it took about 15-20 mins, depending on the time of the day. The nice thing about these areas is that you can take back roads to get to work (i77 is totally unpredictable). For that reason, I suggest finding a place on the east side of 77, so that you have at least 3 options of back roads.
I would completely avoid going further north (Mooresville), as i77 is practically the only way in (bridge across portion of the lake), so if there is traffic, you are stuck.
Enjoy the move!
Right on, what Lakeliving said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte