Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 12,275 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the Northeast and transplanted to SW Florida for the last 12 years. I have grown to hate Florida more and more with each passing non-season. I'd love to move "home" but I am married to a Floridian who will not move that far north. I love the allure of North Carolina. The cities, the mountains, the weather. My problem is where to go?? I want to be near (or in) a city. --close to resturants, jazz clubs, good wine etc... Have looked at Asheville and Charlotte as possibilities. My husband and I make good income in Florida and worry about the job market and comparable salaries vs home prices. We are also a mixed racial couple with children. Here in SWF we never have an issue, but I worry about moving to somewhere where we might not be as accepted. Anyone out there have any thoughts or opinions as to a move to NC? Also, what large corporations (head quarters) are located in or near these cities? I appreciate any and all imput!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnde2red View Post
I am originally from the Northeast and transplanted to SW Florida for the last 12 years. I have grown to hate Florida more and more with each passing non-season. I'd love to move "home" but I am married to a Floridian who will not move that far north. I love the allure of North Carolina. The cities, the mountains, the weather. My problem is where to go?? I want to be near (or in) a city. --close to resturants, jazz clubs, good wine etc... Have looked at Asheville and Charlotte as possibilities. My husband and I make good income in Florida and worry about the job market and comparable salaries vs home prices. We are also a mixed racial couple with children. Here in SWF we never have an issue, but I worry about moving to somewhere where we might not be as accepted. Anyone out there have any thoughts or opinions as to a move to NC? Also, what large corporations (head quarters) are located in or near these cities? I appreciate any and all imput!! Thanks
Asheville is beautiful and probably the MOST expensive city in NC to live. Charlotte is a great place too and more reasonable but larger and you have to deal with traffic & other big city issues. No real racial or mixed race issues in Charlotte. And Charlotte is only 2hrs from the mountains and 3 1/2 hrs to the beach!

ALOT of Floridians want out and alot have moved to NC. They are called "Half backs"!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,202 times
Asheville is a more liberal, artsy/craftsy (if that's a word) town. Jobs there are almost non existent unless you are in the service industry. Charlotte has the restaurants, jazz clubs, good wine, entertainment. Most people don't think twice about mixed race couples. There are a number of mixed race families in our church and the only noteable thing about them is that they have beautiful children.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,765 times
Great replies..

Being in Florida, and wanting out, I'm with you.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM

183 posts, read 567,403 times
Default Come to CLT!!

I lived in S Fla for 33 yrs(Miramar/NMB) and LOVE Charlotte!
Craig

Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
I don't think you would have any issues with acceptance in either city. Asheville is more outdoorsy/arsy, Charlotte is more city/suburban. Jobs might be easier to find in Charlotte.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

ALOT of Floridians want out and alot have moved to NC. They are called "Half backs"!
Floridians are only called halfbacks if they are originally from the north. I lived in FL all my life & moved here just shy of a year ago, so I don't consider myself a halfback.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnde2red View Post
We chose NC for many of the same reason - the ability to travel more, the weather, less expensive homes, etc. It is good that you are thinking about the job market. My husband and I also had very good jobs before moving here, and we were scared to death. We are both in very similar positions that we had in FL. I make the same amount of money, but my husband makes less. We are happy here, but NC is not the financial paradise we thought it would be. To answer your question about being a mixed racial couple, at least in the Charlotte area, I don't foresee that being a problem for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte