Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM

457 posts, read 1,178,012 times

Advertisements

Recently my kitchen faucet has been smelling moldy when I first turn it on. I've already cleaned the aerator. This happened years ago in my bathroom & when I changed the fixture the problem permanently disappeared. I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience & knows of a plumber that knows enough of which pipes to change out; I'd hate to buy a new faucet & not have of the enough piping changed, but when I tried to explain it to my plumber he wasn't familiar. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:10 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
My suggestion would be the trap, remove, clean, replace, it's a very simple job. Even if that is not the cause, the trap could always use a good cleaning.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
Recently my kitchen faucet has been smelling moldy when I first turn it on. I've already cleaned the aerator. This happened years ago in my bathroom & when I changed the fixture the problem permanently disappeared. I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience & knows of a plumber that knows enough of which pipes to change out; I'd hate to buy a new faucet & not have of the enough piping changed, but when I tried to explain it to my plumber he wasn't familiar. Thanks!!!
You might want to check around your sink and faucet. I would think it is the caulk or the counters that are smelling moldy. Maybe use some cleaner that removes rust and mold around your faucet connections to clear up any germs or smell.

I sometimes pour lime or lemon juice into my drain.....just enough to sit in the elbow of the trap.....and leave it there for a good while.....I don't turn on the water for about half an hour. It freshens the smell from the drain.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
My suggestion would be the trap, remove, clean, replace, it's a very simple job. Even if that is not the cause, the trap could always use a good cleaning.
That must be it, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You might want to check around your sink and faucet. I would think it is the caulk or the counters that are smelling moldy. Maybe use some cleaner that removes rust and mold around your faucet connections to clear up any germs or smell.

I sometimes pour lime or lemon juice into my drain.....just enough to sit in the elbow of the trap.....and leave it there for a good while.....I don't turn on the water for about half an hour. It freshens the smell from the drain.
No it's actually the water, I can smell it on my fingers after touching it & the only other thing I've touched is my chrome faucet which I clean. It's such a strange thing. Thanks, can't be too clean.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Does your faucet have a cartridge that needs to be replaced?

Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 AM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
do you notice it on cold water as well as hot?

Most likely you need to drain the bottom of the water heater, it is a thing that needs to be done on regular basis (about once/twice a year).
Connect a water garden hose to bottom connection open the valve and you'll be surprised to see the muddy and smelly water coming out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte