Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 10,373 times

Advertisements

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:41 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,063,104 times
It's funny, but most people I talk to are actually happy with their new school post reassignment... that includes folks moved to Sun Valley and Parkwood (which was essentially treated as a death sentence during the public hearings). Now, Most =/= All. There are a significant group of people who are still unhappy and many of those reside in Wesley Chapel. Many are just looking for stability and don't want to have bounce around from cluster to cluster.

LI runs the gambit - from Jericho to Riverhead, you'll see all sorts of ups and downs in the schools. Depending where you're coming from Sun Valley could be a great option.

I'm happy to hear you're visiting - nobody can tell you how you will feel about each school. My recommendation is that you only buy that house if you're able to accept remaining in Sun Valley. There are lots of opinions floating around, but I don't think anyone could accurately predict what will happen come Fall 2018 when it comes to the edges of the current assignments. There are "safer" areas you could logically choose based on their proximity to schools and central in the current boundaries.

If there is reluctance on your part, you might consider renting for your 1st year here. That's what we did coming from LI.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Thank you. Yes, we are considering renting when we first move there. It would be good to get a sense of the location and schools. I do hear that a lot of parents like Sun Valley. My bigger concern is the kids getting bounced around, especially after a big move. We live in the East Northport area and while our school is supposedly "the best", they failed my son miserably. So every district has their issues and politics. What part of the Island did you move from? How long are you living there?

Old 04-08-2017, 06:17 AM

631 posts, read 895,315 times
The board promised with the next redistricting that anyone reassigned can stay at their current schools. Gary Sides proposed that and I believe he intended it through graduation. So if you buy in Wesley Oaks, love Sun Valley, and they move borders next year, your kids can stay in Sun Valley.

Good luck with the move and research!!!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:28 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,063,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roe Calvoni View Post
Thank you. Yes, we are considering renting when we first move there. It would be good to get a sense of the location and schools. I do hear that a lot of parents like Sun Valley. My bigger concern is the kids getting bounced around, especially after a big move. We live in the East Northport area and while our school is supposedly "the best", they failed my son miserably. So every district has their issues and politics. What part of the Island did you move from? How long are you living there?
I totally agree that getting bounced around is a big concern... I know it is for us. Some are blinded to this because they want to "go back". I don't know if the Northport area would be considered the best when you look at Nassau county schools, but I hear what you're saying. We have been here many years via Suffolk County "middle of the road" schools and see the value in UCPS big time. You're not getting what you pay for on LI anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
The board promised with the next redistricting that anyone reassigned can stay at their current schools. Gary Sides proposed that and I believe he intended it through graduation. So if you buy in Wesley Oaks, love Sun Valley, and they move borders next year, your kids can stay in Sun Valley.

Good luck with the move and research!!!
I know you know this, but it's important to caveat that statement because it is not guaranteed and more likely that if it does happen you'll be driving your kid(s) to school for the rest of their tenure at UCPS should you choose grandfathering. Sides had good intentions when proposing that, but it's far from decided at this point.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,280 times
We are actually thinking of moving to Waxhaw from Long Island (Glen Cove) as well. I have been looking for areas that have good schools as well as a good community and Millbridge keeps popping up. I've heard that there are a lot of kids, we have a 9 year old, and that there is plenty to do. I am concerned, however, about all of the redistricting. Does anyone know where I would have to look if I wanted to be certain to be in the Cuthbertson school district? Also, being in Waxhaw, how far away are the real good hospitals?

Roe, have you made a decision on where to move?

Thank you everyone

Old 06-03-2017, 01:46 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,753,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montekrysto View Post
Also, being in Waxhaw, how far away are the real good hospitals?

Thank you everyone
There is a local Emergency Room in Waxhaw. The two flagship hospitals in the area - Carolina Medical Center Main and Novant Presbyterian are near Uptown - 40 mins from Waxhaw without traffic, one hour in rush hour. CMC Main is the are's trauma facility - severe car accident, shooting, extreme trauma, etc... are transferred or taken directly to CMC Main in Dilworth/Myers Park.

CMC Pineville and Novant Matthews are good hospitals.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,202,176 times
Quote:
We are actually thinking of moving to Waxhaw from Long Island (Glen Cove) as well. I have been looking for areas that have good schools as well as a good community and Millbridge keeps popping up. I've heard that there are a lot of kids, we have a 9 year old, and that there is plenty to do. I am concerned, however, about all of the redistricting. Does anyone know where I would have to look if I wanted to be certain to be in the Cuthbertson school district? Also, being in Waxhaw, how far away are the real good hospitals?

Thank you everyone

There is no guarantee for anyone that they will remain in the Cuthbertson cluster. Once the next redistricting plan is finalized, then we'll know what neighborhoods will go where, at least for the next four or five years.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you everyone
Hi. Yes, we are moving to Waxhaw. We went into contract to purchase a house contingent on selling our house here, and also signed a 1 year lease starting July 15th. We have an offer on our house, however, they have a house to sell. We are moving to the Millbridge development. It's pretty close to the Cuthbertson schools, so hopefully they don't redistrict that area.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,404,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roe Calvoni View Post
Hi. Yes, we are moving to Waxhaw. We went into contract to purchase a house contingent on selling our house here, and also signed a 1 year lease starting July 15th. We have an offer on our house, however, they have a house to sell. We are moving to the Millbridge development. It's pretty close to the Cuthbertson schools, so hopefully they don't redistrict that area.
There was a lot of talk about Millbridge during the last redistricting. I think it was going to be split up but then the community was able to get it changed so that they all stayed at Cuthbertson.

This was the biggest (now-locked but not before getting 5,000 replies!) thread but there have been others as well - https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...stricting.html - searching Millbridge in that thread alone gets 242 results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte