Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM

291 posts, read 1,114,026 times

Advertisements

Anyone willing to share their experience regarding entreprenurial opportunities in Charlotte? I'm interested to hear from native Charlotteans who have started a business or particularly transplants who have recently been successful in building a small business in the Charlotte area. Also interested to hear from anyone who has had success with a franchise in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM

245 posts, read 881,402 times
me too - thanks for posting this thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Well I am not sure I can post my wife's business as that might be construed as advertising. She wrote her business plan five years ago beside the baby pool, while the kids were playing, and turned it in to a moderately successful small business. Now that the kids are in school she has gone back to teaching full time and is still running the business.

Another neighbor consulted with my wife (4 yrs ago or so) and her business is booming and selling into Target and several other large chains (my wife's business is boutique and individual sales only to keep manufacturing local).

This is America, not just Charlotte, and your success is only limited by your understanding of a market potential and the ability to run a business.

Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 23,519 times
Has anyone moved to Charlotte and experienced any small business success in lodging or hospitality? I work in the industry and am planning to move to the area and perhaps invest in a small business as the city continues to grow.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM

thanks for your response, mullman. Anyone else willing to share?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 AM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
your question is so broad. there are many successful businesses and franchises in the charlotte area. product and location are big issues in this market. your drive to succeed is most important.
what specifics are you looking for? i had a franchise business for 10 years and now have another small business.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 AM

104 posts, read 284,047 times
Default Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Well I am not sure I can post my wife's business as that might be construed as advertising. She wrote her business plan five years ago beside the baby pool, while the kids were playing, and turned it in to a moderately successful small business. Now that the kids are in school she has gone back to teaching full time and is still running the business.

Another neighbor consulted with my wife (4 yrs ago or so) and her business is booming and selling into Target and several other large chains (my wife's business is boutique and individual sales only to keep manufacturing local).

This is America, not just Charlotte, and your success is only limited by your understanding of a market potential and the ability to run a business.

Good Luck!
Is there anyway you can have your wife PM me I am started my own business-Girls Clothing and I would love to talk with her about starting out.
Thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
your question is so broad. there are many successful businesses and franchises in the charlotte area. product and location are big issues in this market. your drive to succeed is most important.
what specifics are you looking for? i had a franchise business for 10 years and now have another small business.
Yes, it is broad and it's not a question I'm looking for an answer too. It doesn't always have to be so complicated. Just wanted to hear from anyone who has decided to open their first business in Charlotte and how they feel it has gone.

Anything from "My wife and I or my brother and I or my buddy and I.... had a dream to start a small (fill in the blank), we did our research and found that the cost of doing business in Charlotte was too much for us... or Charlotte offers a lot for the small business owner.... or we found that getting permitting is very difficult... or we got so much help from a State program.. or it has been a nightmare... or it has been a dream come true... or we're just starting in the process and so far..., etc. That's all. Just hoping folks will share stories.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
It really depends on what type of business you are looking to start. Some businesses just need a business license others require your home to meet certain standards. Can you tell us what type of business you maybe looking to open and we could help you from there...maybe...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
It really depends on what type of business you are looking to start. Some businesses just need a business license others require your home to meet certain standards. Can you tell us what type of business you maybe looking to open and we could help you from there...maybe...
I'm not really looking for "help" per se. Just want to hear about people's experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte