Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,934 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte in May. I have started apartment searching and was wondering how long is rush hour traffic. He wants to try and keep his commute down to 30 min. (one way) and is working in the middle of down town. Would anywhere in the 485 circle work?

</div>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnavely View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte in May. I have started apartment searching and was wondering how long is rush hour traffic. He wants to try and keep his commute down to 30 min. (one way) and is working in the middle of down town. Would anywhere in the 485 circle work?

</div>
There are plenty of places you can live and get a 30 minute or so commute, but how much you can afford to pay in rent would be a big factor. Not just anywhere within 485 would cut it though I'm afraid.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:

</div>
I HIGHLY suggest you guys move anywhere on Charlotte's southside. That way your husband can take the light rail to work. A $60 monthly train pass would be MUCH cheaper on your husband than gas and uptown's parking fees. Thousands of uptown workers take advantage of the train every week. Here are a few videos of the train so your husband can know what to expect. (click the "watch in high quality" icon on the bottom right of the videos when they pop up)

YouTube - Panthers Sunday

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

Trains run every 7 1/2 minutes during rush hour and roughly every 15 minutes during non-peak times. If you guys choose a location no farther south than Sharon Road West, your husband can park his car for free at a station, and ride the train into Uptown in under 30 minutes (driving+parking+waiting on train+riding to uptown = less than 30 minutes).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-04-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
Also, another factor is if he plans to drive to work, how much has he budgeted to pay for parking (it's about $130./month for covered parking close by the banks) If not, see the above suggestion!

secondly, make sure that job is settled before you come. The job market is really bad here.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Also, another factor is if he plans to drive to work, how much has he budgeted to pay for parking (it's about $130./month for covered parking close by the banks) If not, see the above suggestion!

secondly, make sure that job is settled before you come. The job market is really bad here.

Probably closer to the $150 a month or more to park in the decks now. Especially since alot of the surface lots are gone now due to all the construction Uptown. Also there are waiting list at most of the decks.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,251 times
If he doesn't mind walking and uncovered parking, there's plenty of lots that are much cheaper. Around 30-50 dollars a month. You can check out the different lots here: Uptown Charlotte Parking Lots and Garages :: AboutParking.com

Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 7,934 times
Thanks for the information.
My husband already has a job lined up (a secure one) hence the move but thank you for that information. (I work from home and doesnt matter where I am I can still work)

I was looking at the train and thats why I wanted to ask here if that was within a 30 min transit time, and if it was any different than driving.

I will start looking around the train line.

How are the neighborhoods around the line? and they generally a safe area?
</div></div>

Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information.
My husband already has a job lined up (a secure one) hence the move but thank you for that information. (I work from home and doesnt matter where I am I can still work)

I was looking at the train and thats why I wanted to ask here if that was within a 30 min transit time, and if it was any different than driving.

I will start looking around the train line.

How are the neighborhoods around the line? and they generally a safe area?
</div></div>
The best and safest areas near the train line is the Park Rd and Southpark area. These areas would give your husband a 5 to 10 minute drive to the nearest station and a 15 to 20 minute train ride into uptown.

If you guys are interested in a more urban location, South End and Dilworth are nice and much closer to uptown. The stations near South End and Dilworth do not have parking. Your husband would have to walk, bike ride, get dropped off, or catch a bus to these stations. Either way, his commute would be 15 minutes or less from South End or Dilworth.

If you guys choose, you can even live uptown. Your husband's commute would be a walk or a bike ride. First Ward and Fourth Ward in uptown are very nice!!!

(click the "watch in high quality" icon located on the bottom right of the videos when they pop up)

First Ward

YouTube - First Ward

YouTube - First Ward

YouTube - First Ward

Fourth Ward

YouTube - Fourth Ward

YouTube - Fourth Ward

YouTube - Fourth Ward

South End

YouTube - South End

YouTube - South End

YouTube - South End
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte