Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times

Advertisements

My son was in uptown last night (Saturday night) and apparently parked in a lot that he had previously used with no problems. This time he and many others in the lot had an orange envelope and "parking violation" on his windshield. Now, I know this is not a police-issued parking ticket, but rather a notice from a private company that is made to look official. I am just wondering if the notice actually came from the owners of the parking lot or if it is more of a scam - you know, put notices on a bunch of windshields and see who pays. On the one hand, I am tempted to ignore it. On the other hand, if it is really the parking lot owners then they could have towed the car and really made our lives miserable. What do you think? Real, or scam?

LOL, the actual parking violation had the words "parking violation" in all caps on it, so I tried to recreate that in my topic title, but my all caps was automatically changed to all lower case!

Last edited by XcapefromNJ; 04-11-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
I think you'll have to post the details of what was on the ticket (ticket issuer, 'pay to' details, etc) before anyone can answer your question.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
You will see in a couple of days, when a letter comes in the mail reminding you of the payment or how to fight the violation.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Megax, of course... I should have taken a picture. Orange legal size envelope with big block letters, "PARKING VIOLATION" on one side, other side addressed to:Preferred Parking Service 212 S Tryon St, Ste 1300,

There is a smaller card, the "ticket" with the violation information on it. It is made intentionally to look like a real parking ticket, if you know what I mean. The card is a copy of the info, Lot, stall, date time , license number etc...
Since it is not a police-issued ticket I wouldn't think they have access to my name and address just from the license plate number.

OK... just found their website. Looks like they control virtually all the parking lots in Charlotte. They even have a violation lookup page on their website... but I can't find my violation. Will check again in a couple of days.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Im glad your taking the cautious approach to this.
Im glad you wasnt towed either. Im sure many many people fall
scam to parking Uptown. I have resorted to paying boat load of quarters
in one of meter parking spots and I use the ones by Marshall Park so
I can have hope for a spot.
Good luck keep us updated

Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
This does sound like a good scam. All they would need is a post office box and some offical looking tickets. Then just place them on cars around the city and at least some of the people would send in some money.

Not saying these people are scamming, but I could see how it would work.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:09 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,613 times
Preferred Parking is one of the larger parking lot/deck management companies downtown. Why don't you call then to see if it's legit? If it's not, I'm sure they'd like to know that someone is using their name.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Oh, it is definitely legit - at least as legit as a private parking ticket can be. It now even shows up on their website when I input my license plate #. Very fancy!

Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,058 times
Post Private Parking Violations

Any time you find yourself dealing with a legal issue or what appears to be a legal issue, I always ask the question where is the law? In the case of a private parking company their is no law i.e. code or regulation of the state that gives them ticket writing authority. However because it is private property they have a right to ask you to pay for parking. It can be in the form of what looks like a ticket. This is nothing more than an offer to enter into a contract with them.

When you pay you have accepted the contract. If you don't pay you have rejected the contract. A persistant parking company may try to pursue by filing a claim. In any event the question always is where is the law. Show me the law. If they can produce a code or statute to support their claim you will now be able to research a remedy.

Any contract in order for it to be enforceable must be entered into willingly and knowingly. A very important fact in parking violations even city issued one is understanding the legal definition of motor vehicle. Most people don't. All city parking codes, ordinances etc have to do with the motor vehicle statutes of that state and city. You can find the legal definition of "Motor Vehicle" in the US Code Title 18 section 31 (6). Once again when you accept the contract you become liable. Most private natural citizens drive automobiles not motor vehicles.

In order to be legally an operator or driver of a motor vehicle you must be driving or operating for hire i.e. a fee for transporting others or goods or you must be driving for profit i.e. tow trucks, tractor trailers, taxi cabs, etc. any vehicle being used for profit, This does not mean the private citizen who may own their own business. Or the private citizen going to and from work or elsewhere. This means those entities that are regulated by commercial code who use the streets and highways as a means of making money and must be licensed to do so.

If you're not in this category acting in this type of capacity your vehicle is defined as an automobile and not subject to motor vehicle regulation including the state tags and registration. I"m not here to get into a debate. If you want to research and learn start with 18 USC 31 (6), then google US Supreme Court and Drivers License.

What people fail to realize is that the name on that contract with the state, the drivers license is for the state created entity which bears your name spelled in all capital letters. This contract that you have accepted and each city or state parking, speeding, jay walking ticket etc. is only for that all capital letter entity that is spelled and looks the same as your Christian name but in all caps. This is also known as your strawman. Remember the movie the "Matrix". Someone was sending us all a message. Some got it most didn't and were just entertained.

Google and do research of the Strawman on Youtube. There's plenty of information. Just Read.....

Hope this helps and enlightens.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Enlightenment on a thread almost 7 1/2 YEARS ago to the day. LOL

Honestly curious how it turned out for the OP, I must admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte