Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM

343 posts, read 686,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I do! Where I lived in DC (Arlington, VA, to be exact), I could walk to both Harris Teeter and Costco. My big grocery shopping was at Costco, and for that, I bought a fold-up portable cart, like this one: https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Bed...9816518078643p

Being in a walkable neighborhood is one of the most important things for me. I loathe having to drive places and being a slave to an automobile. I love the convenience of being able to walk places, and also seeing people out and about in my neighborhood. And I love the neighborhood businesses where the people working there know my face, and we have a common interest in our community.

When I lived in Arlington, I had a car but I used it so little that my battery would die. So I finally got rid of the car. For what was not available in my neighborhood, a Metro station was nearby to get me to other parts of the city. And I used Zipcar if I needed to go someone not on the Metro line. And for trips out of town, I could walk to a car rental place. All my needs were covered. Owning a car was a nuisance.

Thank you for this. My old neighborhood in Arlington, VA, gets a score of 78. Where I live now in San Diego it's 89. I imagine one day I might be back in Charlotte and I hope there are abundant walkable communities by then. I've attached here the 30 most walkable neighborhoods in Charlotte according to this website.
It's so much better to have a sidewalk to walk down the street then have to get in the car and drive every single time you need something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
I used to walk a mile with groceries when I was a kid. Its overrated.

Charlotte still needs more sidewalks. Every street should have a sidewalk on at least one side.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM

547 posts, read 773,930 times
There are plenty of sidewalks in the suburbs and if I need anything from a store I order online and it shows up at my door in 2 days. No driving. No walking. No door dings, road rage, long lines, parking issues or out of stocks. Walking to a store is overrated.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times
The latest statistics on pedestrian safety: Deadly vehicle pedestrian accidents up 53 percent | WCNC.com

Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 PM

386 posts, read 366,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
The latest statistics on pedestrian safety:
Tuesday night, a pedestrian was struck and killed attempting to cross Sardis Rd North against traffic signals and not in the crosswalk. Man appears to have been impaired before being struck, killed by vehicle | WSOC-TV

Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times
Not all of the pedestrians killed in Charlotte were impaired, were they?

Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
It's so much better to have a sidewalk to walk down the street then have to get in the car and drive every single time you need something.
Huh? Why is it better? I can see walking for exercise which is possible in most neighborhoods and subdivisions. Hell, when I lived on Capitol Hill in DC, the Safeway was 3 blocks away and I drove there. Most people in America don't wanna walk to the grocery store or any store. It's not easy carrying in bulk.

The whole urban living walkability crap is overrated. It's just another way of living which is cool if that's your thing, it doesn't make it one iota better, not one damn bit.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 AM

Default Downtown areas increased over the last Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Huh? Why is it better? I can see walking for exercise which is possible in most neighborhoods and subdivisions. Hell, when I lived on Capitol Hill in DC, the Safeway was 3 blocks away and I drove there. Most people in America don't wanna walk to the grocery store or any store. It's not easy carrying in bulk.

The whole urban living walkability crap is overrated. It's just another way of living which is cool if that's your thing, it doesn't make it one iota better, not one damn bit.
I think your wrong on this, this is the exact reason the downtown areas around the country greatly increased in price of homes in walkable areas over the last decade. You may not like it, but majority of the country has turned back to living in downtown walkable areas. I hate the cul-de-sac Developments they build in Mecklinburg County, but that's me.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:34 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I think your wrong on this, this is the exact reason the downtown areas around the country greatly increased in price of homes in walkable areas over the last decade. You may not like it, but majority of the country has turned back to living in downtown walkable areas. I hate the cul-de-sac Developments they build in Mecklinburg County, but that's me.
I don't think yours and Big A's statements are mutually exclusive. Sure, a lot of people are moving to "walkable" areas. Big A thinks that's overrated. And I would tend to agree with him. I still maintain my previous post in this thread in that when people clamor for "walkable" areas these days, they're typically referring to bars and restaurants. Bonus points for locally owned shops that the person asking about them will probably never buy anything from.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:16 AM

Default You are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I still maintain my previous post in this thread in that when people clamor for "walkable" areas these days, they're typically referring to bars and restaurants.
Yes, you are correct, that would be what a walkable area would be; to be able to not have to get in your car every time you wanted to go somewhere. But not only Bars and Restaurants, also: coffee shops, quick grab grocery stores and small amounts of shopping, maybe a movie theater. That is what "walkability" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte