Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Of course, for a one-time touristy experience (Kodak moment) to brag about amongst your co-workers, family and friends. Been there, done that, lived it...overrated experience. Most people who live in the burbs or neighborhoods of Philly aren't rolling into downtown Philly on a regular basis to get an overpriced beer.
They don't have to; Philly has plenty of historic neighborhoods and suburbs to get that same type of experience.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:14 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Definitely
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I think Charlotte can for at least another 20 years. There is enough land and undeveloped space within the metro that it should be able to maintain the same feel. With that said Charlotte will need to be more proactive about roads, transportation, and rezoning also.
Charlotte's changed drastically since I first stepped foot in the City in 2008 - in some ways good; in other ways not-so-good.

I don't live in the City, so when I do visit or look at things online, I marvel at the diversity of cultures that are now a part of Charlotte. Last night, for example, I came across a Russian restaurant in south Charlotte. And while it was Polish, not Russian, cuisine that I was looking for...wow!

On the other hand, when I first visited in 2008, Southern accents were still common, as were Southern manners and hospitality.

In the end, I plan on staying here long term. If Charlotte's traffic patterns even comes close to what I had in NY...ciao!

Sadly, a lot of the people who are not concerned about these issues have a lack of concern because they've never had to live with it. NY *is* the City that never sleeps, including traffic jams at 4:30AM on the Cross Bronx, or 1:30AM on the Belt.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Charlotte's changed drastically since I first stepped foot in the City in 2008 - in some ways good; in other ways not-so-good.

I don't live in the City, so when I do visit or look at things online, I marvel at the diversity of cultures that are now a part of Charlotte. Last night, for example, I came across a Russian restaurant in south Charlotte. And while it was Polish, not Russian, cuisine that I was looking for...wow!

On the other hand, when I first visited in 2008, Southern accents were still common, as were Southern manners and hospitality.

In the end, I plan on staying here long term. If Charlotte's traffic patterns even comes close to what I had in NY...ciao!

Sadly, a lot of the people who are not concerned about these issues have a lack of concern because they've never had to live with it. NY *is* the City that never sleeps, including traffic jams at 4:30AM on the Cross Bronx, or 1:30AM on the Belt.
I moved here in 2005, and I agree it has changed. It still has that very suburban feel, and there is still a ton of open land to develop before it becomes too much. I agree though if they dont fix the roads issue its going to be a big problem.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:45 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They don't have to; Philly has plenty of historic neighborhoods and suburbs to get that same type of experience.
And so does Charlotte, it's just on a different scale and style there. But when you stated historic suburbs I started thinking, huh?....Camden (home of my ex..and boy it's "historic" amongst a lot things)? Philly is a very large and urban city but most of the burbs are just burbs...King of Prussia, etc. And more people live in the burbs than the "city" like most metros.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times
Quote:
And so does Charlotte, it's just on a different scale and style there. But when you stated historic suburbs I started thinking, huh?....Camden (home of my ex..and boy it's "historic" amongst a lot things)? Philly is a very large and urban city but most of the burbs are just burbs...King of Prussia, etc. And more people live in the burbs than the "city" like most metros.
Come on Big. If you've read these boards long enough you should know that Philly is just like an older, better version of Charlotte. Everything people complain about wanting in Charlotte, they will find in Philly. It ends with the inevitable mention of the Great Wagon Road...blah blah blah. Philly is everything we wish we could be and more. There is no explaining for why people choose to live here despite how superior it is, but we just have to ignore that.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:52 PM

83 posts, read 62,422 times
No one's won or lost yet, but Business Insider is reporting that Amazon registered a lobbyist in Georgia, implying Atlanta may very well be Bezos' pick. Think the announcement will come very early next year.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Haddonfield, for a start.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
I am sort of glad that Charlotte isn't on top. I wouldn't want to see Charlotte change its ways (a good mix of city, country, exotic, etc) to accommodate a bunch of northeaster techno snowflakes. We don't need Amazon for greatness. It is coming as projected by economists and according to them, we can expect to be on top in regards to the fastest growing city in the U.S.for the next decade. I expect the city to grow in the correct manner and I do have faith that it will. I too like Greenville, but it is 1/10 the size of Charlotte. And Charlotte has lots going on, but we are so spread out, it is in all over our widespread metro, not just in a 5 block area.
On top of what exactly?

Old 12-16-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Haddonfield, for a start.
But what makes Haddonfield any different than Davidson, the Birkdales, etc? I think people over romanticize the notion of historic or urban as "better". You can walk, shop, eat, etc in a lot of places, and most cities/metros have small towns or life style centers tailored to that purpose.

It's a different style, architecture and scale as I stated earlier. The architecture, culture, style, etc in the south is simply different. And many people would never leave Philly because they prefer that culture, style, etc as do many southerners prefer theirs. It doesn't make either place one iota better or superior. I know there's a contingent of people, especially from those places, who are affixed to this mentality - a superiority complex.

Charlotte probably won't get Amazon but not because it lacks culture or identity. This will be a business decision and why I believe it will be a major metropolitan with a solid infrastructure offering over-the-top incentives.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 12-16-2017 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-16-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Come on Big. If you've read these boards long enough you should know that Philly is just like an older, better version of Charlotte. Everything people complain about wanting in Charlotte, they will find in Philly. It ends with the inevitable mention of the Great Wagon Road...blah blah blah. Philly is everything we wish we could be and more. There is no explaining for why people choose to live here despite how superior it is, but we just have to ignore that.
Don't get it twisted, most of Philly is nice and as large urban cities go, it is what it is (inner city issues, etc). I lived and spent a lot of time in the Northeast until the novelty wore off, at least for me. Growing up in the south that was my first intent, get to the big city after college, the Northeast. I think it's a good idea to experience other regions of the US. And after you get into the work-world grind, it's all about the same. Not everybody will warm up to this pace or lifestyle, but if you can, it's really a high quality of life and why some many people are moving down south and eroding pieces of that comfort level with the uncontrollable growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte