Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,356 times

Advertisements

looking at new development in south eastern gastonia. Would like any toughts on crime and schools . Also the fesability of a daily comute to charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 03:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
I was raised in Gastonia and my parents still live there, so I'm VERy familiar with the town. If you're moving to SE Gastonia, that's good. The school zone there (Bess Elem., Cramerton Mid., Forestview High) is the best in the county, but the county overall doesn't have a great system. But that area of town is good. It's a nice town. One of the easiest commutes into Charlotte in the metro. One warning; citya and county property tax rates are the highest in the metro area, even Charlotte/Meck. You can pm me if you have any more questions. Good luck!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
Gastonia taxes are not higher than Charlotte/Meck. If you live in Gastonia city limits, then its going to be basically the same as what you'd pay in Charlotte city limits. So don't let that scare you. I live in Mount Holly whose city tax is SLIGHTLY lower than Gastonia's and I pay under $850 a year on my home accessed at 61K tax value. So yes Union and Cabarus county (to the SE and NE of Charlotte respectively) will have a significant savings over Mecklenburg County, and living in Gaston will come out tax wise the same as in Charlotte.
With that said, as important as tax tables are, its just as important how much house and what kind of neighborhood you are getting for that amount you are being taxed on.
My house is in a decent older neighborhood, basically no crime. Someone had a powersaw (they left outside) stolen off their carport in the last couple years, no break-ins or car thefts or drugs at all, and people are nice. Most of these older houses would barely sell for 100K though. The same amount of money in Charlotte would be pretty scary. So I would look at it as an opportunity to be in a better type of neighborhood than your money would get you into in Charlotte proper.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 AM

286 posts, read 946,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
Gastonia taxes are not higher than Charlotte/Meck. If you live in Gastonia city limits, then its going to be basically the same as what you'd pay in Charlotte city limits. So don't let that scare you. I live in Mount Holly whose city tax is SLIGHTLY lower than Gastonia's and I pay under $850 a year on my home accessed at 61K tax value. So yes Union and Cabarus county (to the SE and NE of Charlotte respectively) will have a significant savings over Mecklenburg County, and living in Gaston will come out tax wise the same as in Charlotte.
With that said, as important as tax tables are, its just as important how much house and what kind of neighborhood you are getting for that amount you are being taxed on.
My house is in a decent older neighborhood, basically no crime. Someone had a powersaw (they left outside) stolen off their carport in the last couple years, no break-ins or car thefts or drugs at all, and people are nice. Most of these older houses would barely sell for 100K though. The same amount of money in Charlotte would be pretty scary. So I would look at it as an opportunity to be in a better type of neighborhood than your money would get you into in Charlotte proper.
I am looking at mcadenville, this is in Gaston county, whta about the taxes there?
Thank you

Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM

the mcadenville city tax is a little less than Gastonia's city tax I think. I saw a break down of all of gaston county's city taxes and spencer mountain was the lowest (but thats not even a city really) and gastonia was the highest, with all the other towns ranging between the two so they are all very close. Are you looking at the Saussy Burbank homes built at the roundabout?? That is very close to everything, one minute from there and you're at Wilkinson and only a couple minutes from Belmont or east gastonia where their best shopping is (lowes, kohl's, old navy, books a million)

Old 12-11-2006, 03:05 PM

286 posts, read 946,534 times
Quote:
the mcadenville city tax is a little less than Gastonia's city tax I think. I saw a break down of all of gaston county's city taxes and spencer mountain was the lowest (but thats not even a city really) and gastonia was the highest, with all the other towns ranging between the two so they are all very close. Are you looking at the Saussy Burbank homes built at the roundabout?? That is very close to everything, one minute from there and you're at Wilkinson and only a couple minutes from Belmont or east gastonia where their best shopping is (lowes, kohl's, old navy, books a million)
The Roundabout is that what is is called? yes i love the village, found it by accident last summer, drove in the town so nice and quiet, and love the saussy homes. I am glad to hear there are stores around i thought i would have to go into gastonia, thanks for the info.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Quote:
Here are the rates I had stashed in my desk. They may not be completely up to date. If not, sorry!

Per charlottechamber.com '04-'05 Per $100 valuation

City/County (Charlotte): $1.1767
Incorporated County: $0.7567
Unincorporated County: $0.9193

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per gaston.org Per $100 valuation

Gaston County: $0.89
City of Gastonia: $0.54
------
$1.43

Areas outside of the city limits have a fire district tax, ranging from $0.04 to $0.10, depending on what where you live.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,929 times
I would highly recommend the Mt. Holly area of Gaston County. It's a great place for outdoor activities. The new US NATIONAL WHITEWATER PARK just opened across the river. Whitewater rafting, climbing, mtn biking, hiking, etc...I manage First Carolina Home Equity Mortgage, Inc and would love to help you with financing your home regardless of the city you choose. I can be reached @ 704.806.1973. Tks. Chris Hughes

Old 01-18-2007, 11:30 PM

I agree, I think Mt. Holly is so under-rated. We have so many parks with playgrounds or room to walk dogs, though they are a bit tucked away from the main roads. We have a cool downtown with a couple "mom and pop" restaurants and a coffeehouse.
Property values of any home with "Belmont" in its address seem to be going up up up. My wife and I lost out on even foreclosures to other people that must have been offerring the full amount on distressed properties. Everything being built there is also quite expensive. I drive around Belmont and I do see its charm and I know it has a better rated high school but I wonder what all the fuss is about when Mt. Holly sits right next door and people act like they don't know its there.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,245 times
Default Gastonia Libraries

Can anyone tell me what the libraries are like in Gastonia? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte