Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM

56 posts, read 160,942 times

Advertisements

I've been searching and collecting information on so many neighborhoods and homes and it only gets me more confused on what I should do.

I have three kids . . .one in Elementary School (Elizabeth Lane), one at Carmel Christian and one at South Charlotte. I'm looking to move into a larger home. Our home is 2700 sq feet and as the kids get bigger the house is getting smaller. Our home is in a great neighborhood across the street from Elizabeth Lane Elementary School with a pool and should be easy to sell since we've basically rebuilt it (it was a foreclosure) has all hardwoods and tile .. . no carpet, gas stove, gorgeous kitchen. perfect except it's too small for us now. I know it will sell quickly.

I don't know if the best move is to move down to Waxhaw and change to Marvin schools and Sandy Ridge Elementary or to find a larger home in this school district. Our budget is around 650K but less would give us a bit more breathing room and I'm convinced we need a basement. Not thrilled with having a bonus above us . . . too loud!

Should we build somewhere in Union County? I'm so confused and overwhelmed. Next year our oldest will be in high school so I'm thinking this is the summer to move. So far I like the part of Cureton that has the larger homes, Weddington Chase has some really nice ones too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I stay or should I go???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svross View Post
I've been searching and collecting information on so many neighborhoods and homes and it only gets me more confused on what I should do.

I have three kids . . .one in Elementary School (Elizabeth Lane), one at Carmel Christian and one at South Charlotte. I'm looking to move into a larger home. Our home is 2700 sq feet and as the kids get bigger the house is getting smaller. Our home is in a great neighborhood across the street from Elizabeth Lane Elementary School with a pool and should be easy to sell since we've basically rebuilt it (it was a foreclosure) has all hardwoods and tile .. . no carpet, gas stove, gorgeous kitchen. perfect except it's too small for us now. I know it will sell quickly.

I don't know if the best move is to move down to Waxhaw and change to Marvin schools and Sandy Ridge Elementary or to find a larger home in this school district. Our budget is around 650K but less would give us a bit more breathing room and I'm convinced we need a basement. Not thrilled with having a bonus above us . . . too loud!

Should we build somewhere in Union County? I'm so confused and overwhelmed. Next year our oldest will be in high school so I'm thinking this is the summer to move. So far I like the part of Cureton that has the larger homes, Weddington Chase has some really nice ones too.

We Americans are so spoiled.

If you have your mind made up to buy a larger home, and can afford it, what do you really want anyone here to say to you?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:11 PM

56 posts, read 160,942 times
Sorry if I wasn't clear . . . just wanted some thoughts on whether staying in Matthews or making the move to Waxhaw . . . which is the better schools and investment . .

Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear . . . just wanted some thoughts on whether staying in Matthews or making the move to Waxhaw . . . which is the better schools and investment . .
Okay, thanks for the clarity

Sounds like from where you live your children are zoned for Providence High School? That in itself makes your home very valuable, so you are right that you could easily sell. However, how does that oldest child feel about changing schools right before high school? Is he/she wanting to make a change? Or do they want to go to Providence? I would seriously consider this teens feelings when deciding what to do.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
I'm close to you and I would stay in the area.
We know several families who moved out into a McMansion and are now trying to come back in.

Hwy 51 is our outer-boundary limit

Last edited by mullman; 03-24-2008 at 05:58 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 AM

293 posts, read 959,101 times
Quote:

According to the proposals, Cureton will be slated for the new Cuthbertson schools, but Weddington Chase will stay at Marvin Ridge. We won't know for sure until mid April.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 AM

797 posts, read 3,296,274 times
Well it all depends if you want your children to stay at the schools they are at or if you don't mind changing them. You can def. get a house for the $650k price staying in the area you are in. You can just get more house, new house, and more land if you go to Waxhaw/Weddington. So that's up to you. Also it's further out so whoever is working would have to drive much further. Regardless, sounds like you need a bigger house.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Just my opinion - not based on data - but I contend that homes w/in Hwy 51 will only b/cm more desirable and sought after b/c of the stable school districts. Your children are in an excellent situation w/ their schools right now.

I would suspect your house will sell; and I would also suspect you could find a larger home in UC. Doubtless you can get a builder to work w/ you, but your time schedule is going to be tight.

I would consider buying something already in inventory.

However, if you are truly worried about your childrens' school situations - I would not move out of the 51 corridor. If you feel you need a larger home - then look for something w/ your criteria in an older home - but larger than yours - w/in the 51 corridor.

If your main concern is buying something new - then go for it - but just realize - the school situation is somewhat unsettled in UC.

Last edited by brokensky; 03-24-2008 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: edit - typo

Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,413 times
Hi, we are preparing to relocate to the South Charlotte area and have been reading blogs as part of our researching the best location for us. The home you are talking about selling is the size we are looking for in the right area. What are your thoughts on a sale price or have you even considered that yet? Thanks

Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2south View Post
Hi, we are preparing to relocate to the South Charlotte area and have been reading blogs as part of our researching the best location for us. The home you are talking about selling is the size we are looking for in the right area. What are your thoughts on a sale price or have you even considered that yet? Thanks
I have a feeling this house will be grabbed up if Svross does put it on the market.

Svross: Really consider this move carefully. Others are trying to get into the schools you are contemplating leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte