Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What change would you like done? Made multiple choice enabled.
2 general purpose lanes added 19 61.29%
1 general purpose lane, 1 toll lane added 8 25.81%
2 toll lanes added 0 0%
Double decked option 3 9.68%
Other? Please explain 3 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM

547 posts, read 774,473 times

Advertisements

It’s like a game of seven degrees of separation to I-77 south of Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
It’s like a game of seven degrees of separation to I-77 south of Charlotte
So. . .apparently you don't think that there are commuters in South Charlotte who take I 77 on the way to UNCC who will switch to Lynx when they can take the train there. Or take the train to & from the airport when that becomes a possibility.

OK

Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Honestly switching to the train to get up to UNCC from I-485 station will still be a relatively long commute. Expected travel time for the train is 48 minutes from end to end. If somebody works in the UNCC area, they should seriously consider living on that side of town and vice versa.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Honestly switching to the train to get up to UNCC from I-485 station will still be a relatively long commute. Expected travel time for the train is 48 minutes from end to end. If somebody works in the UNCC area, they should seriously consider living on that side of town and vice versa.
I agree, but if someone settled in South Charlotte for schools, if the kid graduates from high school & then decides to go to UNCC, they're likely to commute. They can do homework on the train. If someone switched jobs they might be going in that vicinity, too.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:56 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree, but if someone settled in South Charlotte for schools, if the kid graduates from high school & then decides to go to UNCC, they're likely to commute. They can do homework on the train. If someone switched jobs they might be going in that vicinity, too.
True, and it just adds to commuting options for people.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 AM

547 posts, read 774,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
So. . .apparently you don't think that there are commuters in South Charlotte who take I 77 on the way to UNCC who will switch to Lynx when they can take the train there. Or take the train to & from the airport when that becomes a possibility.

OK
Which post of mine did you draw a conclusion that it was apparent I had an opinion about someone taking a train to UNCC or the airport?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
True, and it just adds to commuting options for people.
Options are good, especially when they remove cars from the roads. I did a train commute for college. Granted, it was 15 minutes, but I did some reading in the train, related to homework.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
This is what I was thinking as well. Even if we add the needed lanes, will it still just be a short term fix. Just have this thought that even after a couple of years it still might get backed up again. I hope that’s not the case and that transit is more utilize.
Transit is limited, in that it has fixed stops that only serve a segment of the population. I do see Charlotte overcoming this obstacle with the installation of bicycle rentals along the Blue Line; the marriage of light rail and bicycling enables riders to "customize" their commute in a timely fashion.

Light rail by itself, only serves the segment of the population who works/lives in close proximity to a light rail station. And then there's the issue of auto dependent developments like Ballantyne, South Park, Arrowood, etc., which will likely never be properly serviced by mass transit, which leads us back to the necessity of improving roads.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:31 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Transit is limited, in that it has fixed stops that only serve a segment of the population. I do see Charlotte overcoming this obstacle with the installation of bicycle rentals along the Blue Line; the marriage of light rail and bicycling enables riders to "customize" their commute in a timely fashion.

Light rail by itself, only serves the segment of the population who works/lives in close proximity to a light rail station. And then there's the issue of auto dependent developments like Ballantyne, South Park, Arrowood, etc., which will likely never be properly serviced by mass transit, which leads us back to the necessity of improving roads.
I just hope that they go away the spoke system and go for a more grid type of layout. It’s like some streets I seen have dead ends for some odd reason and I’m like the F&$@! Just why when you can clearly see the road on the opposite side. When they did the rebuild of the south 485 through Charlotte,that was hard enough. Whatever they decide to go with will be ten times worse. When they start rebuilding I-77 it will epic epic traffic james and 4 or 5 years to complete all the work.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I just hope that they go away the spoke system and go for a more grid type of layout. It’s like some streets I seen have dead ends for some odd reason and I’m like the F&$@! Just why when you can clearly see the road on the opposite side. When they did the rebuild of the south 485 through Charlotte,that was hard enough. Whatever they decide to go with will be ten times worse. When they start rebuilding I-77 it will epic epic traffic james and 4 or 5 years to complete all the work.
You read my mind .

There are dead ended streets - supposedly for the purposes of traffic calming and/or a reduction in crime - that *force* people onto primary roads.

Most of the newer developments are unattached, *forcing* people to rely on primary roads. When something happens on a primary road, the world stops, because of a road network that is not interdependent.

Here's an answer to your question as to why Charlotte does what it does (scroll down to #5, for CLT):

Center for Problem-Oriented Policing | Response Guides | Closing Streets and Alleys to Reduce Crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte