Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 PM

100 posts, read 242,212 times

Advertisements

Hello all, We have recently shifted to charlotte. We are in the market to buy our first home. My hubby works uptown, so would want to be in the 15 miles radius. We have a budget of 350k, can you all recomend me some safe neighbour hoods to look in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,336 times
Hi Sue,

Have you considered North charlotte/university area. Arbor Hills is one of the good neighbour hood .. houses are only couple of years old.. check it out

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue77 View Post
Hello all, We have recently shifted to charlotte. We are in the market to buy our first home. My hubby works uptown, so would want to be in the 15 miles radius. We have a budget of 350k, can you all recomend me some safe neighbour hoods to look in?
Sue, there are so many that your best bet would be to make contact with a realtor who can better guide you

Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 10,351 times
macaulay - birkdale - wynfield - monteith park in Huntersville are all very safe - Good luck in your search -Very social and family friendly -

Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM

100 posts, read 242,212 times
Thank you all...I have looked at some homes but havent really liked anything...We moved frm dallas ....so seems like housing is much exp here. we want a gated community,with all upgrades...seems hard to find in that budget

Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
I think median home prices here are higher than Dallas. I've had clients from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area who seemed to have "sticker shock" when they looked at homes. You can, however, find a nice home in your price range.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue77 View Post
Thank you all...I have looked at some homes but havent really liked anything...We moved frm dallas ....so seems like housing is much exp here. we want a gated community,with all upgrades...seems hard to find in that budget
I moved from Plano in 2006 and yes Houses here are more expensive. They also don't have the gated communities here. (Personally I hate gated communities it does is cost you more when the gates break every other day). Plenty of areas meet your criteria and with him being uptown, I would just try north or South of Uptown. The key is what do you want to do? Lakes, shopping, parks, etc. For $350 here is about what $280 was in Plano, unless you go further out. I still like that I am 25 minutes from Uptown in a great town like Huntersville, 3000 sq foot house with upgrades. In Dallas you would have to be an hour from downtown. One final point, enjoy the roads, not as well laid out as Dallas suburbs.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM

252 posts, read 879,494 times
Yes Sue, prices are higher here than Texas, you will not be able to get in a gated community in that price point. However there are several very nice areas in that range within 20 minutes of uptown. Get arealtor to show you theses areas.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM

24 posts, read 77,009 times
Default Gated Community

There is a gated community (River Hills) that is located close to your distance from uptown (18 miles vs. 15 miles). Here is a link to the community River Hills Community Association - RiverHillsPlantation.com. There are a number of homes in your price range.
The taxes are extremely reasonable (unincorporated area of York County) and it is in a highly rated school system.
Be aware that the HOAs will be higher in a gated community due to the upkeep. River Hills has a 24 hour guarded gate at the entrance to the community adding to the HOA fees. Also, all roads within a gated community are considered private and are not maintained by the city or county. This also adds to the HOA fee.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:49 AM

77 posts, read 217,451 times
Young couple, stay in the action areas. Southend/Dilworth. Easy to make new friends.

If you plan on having children soon, perhaps toward South Charlotte.

Although, in the "V" region between I-77 and I-85 ...there are very nice and new neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte