Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 15,110 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on here, and I have a question that I really hope I can get some help with.

I am currently residing in Taiwan and preparing to return to the States after 4 years of living and teaching here. At this time I'm in the process of applying for teaching jobs in North Carolina. (I am originally a North Carolinian and am a certified teacher.) My boyfriend is Taiwanese, and although he was once hesitant about even visiting America, he has recently started thinking that he might like to come with me and at least try life in America. I am curious about whether he would have much trouble coming over. He is in IT over here, a quick learner, and he speaks Chinese, Taiwanese, English and Russian (self taught), all of these fluently. (Yes, I'm in awe of him.) I know that he would have to get a special work visa--we have no intentions of getting married just to get divorced if he doesn't find decent work or like living in America--but I am curious whether that would be terribly difficult or impossible these days. Are employers in Charlotte open to hiring good, hardworking Taiwanese employees in IT? How can one make this happen?

Thanks for your help! I would like to just hear what folks know and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmySue View Post
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on here, and I have a question that I really hope I can get some help with.

I am currently residing in Taiwan and preparing to return to the States after 4 years of living and teaching here. At this time I'm in the process of applying for teaching jobs in North Carolina. (I am originally a North Carolinian and am a certified teacher.) My boyfriend is Taiwanese, and although he was once hesitant about even visiting America, he has recently started thinking that he might like to come with me and at least try life in America. I am curious about whether he would have much trouble coming over. He is in IT over here, a quick learner, and he speaks Chinese, Taiwanese, English and Russian (self taught), all of these fluently. (Yes, I'm in awe of him.) I know that he would have to get a special work visa--we have no intentions of getting married just to get divorced if he doesn't find decent work or like living in America--but I am curious whether that would be terribly difficult or impossible these days. Are employers in Charlotte open to hiring good, hardworking Taiwanese employees in IT? How can one make this happen?

Thanks for your help! I would like to just hear what folks know and advise.
I don't know how he will be permitted to travel to the states without a working visa or a green card? I believe that one must have a sponsor to obtain a work visa. As far as getting a job being Taiwanese, nobody would care as long as he works hard, has a good attitude and shows up for work on time. Good luck getting that visa.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:41 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,266 times
Thought I would share my own story.

I would reccommend that he uses a head hunter, for placement with a company willing to pay the legal fees etc.

here's my own expereince-

I found a company in the USA willing to employ me if I took care of all the legal ramifications.

To get a H1B1 Visa (Professional Visa), you require a 4 year degree, which I don't have, for the purpose of my immigration, my lawyer had a goverment agency issue me with a bachelors degree in operations management.

The USA only issues 65,000 H1B1's every year which means if there is even the slightest thing with you application, you are automatically tossed aside.

My supporting documentation filled a banker's box, I have stayed with same lawyer (attorney as they called here) ever since.

To date I have had two H1B1 visa's I then got married got a work permit 4 months later temp green card 4 months after that, two years after that I became a permament resident and will soon become a us citizen.

My entire process has been smooth and problem free I could fill volumes with horror stories about immigration I have heard.

Including one couple I knew that she was deported when returning from their Honeymoon.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:59 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,606 times
I worked in International Programs at the University of N.C. at Charlotte (UNCC) for years and have seen the visa situation change many times. Since 9/11 it's not been great. That is to say it's not easy to get a visa without a sponsor. I'd talk to an immigration lawyer. There is no prejudice against Taiwanese in IT - in fact, many in that profession are Asian. The main drawback there is language. If his English is good, he should have no trouble getting a job unless, of course, the economy crashes.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I worked in International Programs at the University of N.C. at Charlotte (UNCC) for years and have seen the visa situation change many times. Since 9/11 it's not been great. That is to say it's not easy to get a visa without a sponsor. I'd talk to an immigration lawyer. There is no prejudice against Taiwanese in IT - in fact, many in that profession are Asian. The main drawback there is language. If his English is good, he should have no trouble getting a job unless, of course, the economy crashes.
Barb, would you know whether or not if Emmysue came first she could then later sponser her boyfriend?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Barb, would you know whether or not if Emmysue came first she could then later sponser her boyfriend?
Only if they where planning on getting married straight away, which she is smart by not doing.

The employer has to be well established employ a minimun number of people etc etc.

For my visa the goverment need the tax records, and the payroll records for the company (I think 3 years worth)

The decent immigration lawyers are expensive, not going to post on here the costs, but will respond to dm.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 15,110 times
Thank you very much, everyone, and thank you, flyscotsman, for sharing your experience. I will share with him what I've learned and start thinking more about this, if he really wants to try.

I really appreciate your words, folks. This is my first time on city-data.com, and it's most helpful. When I come to the area, I hope I can do the same for others.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Thought I would share my own story.

I would reccommend that he uses a head hunter, for placement with a company willing to pay the legal fees etc.

here's my own expereince-

I found a company in the USA willing to employ me if I took care of all the legal ramifications.

To get a H1B1 Visa (Professional Visa), you require a 4 year degree, which I don't have, for the purpose of my immigration, my lawyer had a goverment agency issue me with a bachelors degree in operations management.

The USA only issues 65,000 H1B1's every year which means if there is even the slightest thing with you application, you are automatically tossed aside.

My supporting documentation filled a banker's box, I have stayed with same lawyer (attorney as they called here) ever since.

To date I have had two H1B1 visa's I then got married got a work permit 4 months later temp green card 4 months after that, two years after that I became a permament resident and will soon become a us citizen.

My entire process has been smooth and problem free I could fill volumes with horror stories about immigration I have heard.

Including one couple I knew that she was deported when returning from their Honeymoon.
I assume you are British?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I assume you are British?
yes you are assuming correctly

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,606 times
I'm sorry, loves, I forgot to check back to this post yesterday. But Scotsman's advice is correct, EmmySue. Immigration had many problems back in the 70's and 80's with visas granted because of phony marriages. I hate to say it but some of my very good looking and charming young male students took advantage of local women from small towns promising them the world and marrying them in order to get green cards. Since then - especially since 9-11 - there has been a turn around and it's very hard to get a visa with any mention of marriage involved.

He has to have a job offer from a reputable company. Scotsman knows more about the details of this than do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte