Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 AM

392 posts, read 1,183,685 times

Advertisements

Ani, we are the same person walking around in two different forms... I just did that last minute ck for new posts before I hit submit thread in a reply I had just composed... Girl... I started reading your reply and thought, wait, I hadn't submitted my reply yet... and then figured out that what I was reading was YOU!!! No WONDER we are friends, my sweet... check it out...

A couple of forms are native to the southeast U.S. If I recall correctly (researched a while back out of curiosity one night) the native types are a little easier to control than the asian varieties of same. Some can be grown in an easier-to-contend-with bush form, I believe, as opposed to the vining variety. I have observed such contained growth settings near me, and I do believe w. can be container grown.

Down the road, there is this combo of wild wisteria and white dogwood set within a backdrop of pinetrees - boy, takes my breath away every time I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
Ani, we are the same person walking around in two different forms... I just did that last minute ck for new posts before I hit submit thread in a reply I had just composed... Girl... I started reading your reply and thought, wait, I hadn't submitted my reply yet... and then figured out that what I was reading was YOU!!! No WONDER we are friends, my sweet... check it out...

A couple of forms are native to the southeast U.S. If I recall correctly (researched a while back out of curiosity one night) the native types are a little easier to control than the asian varieties of same. Some can be grown in an easier-to-contend-with bush form, I believe, as opposed to the vining variety. I have observed such contained growth settings near me, and I do believe w. can be container grown.

Down the road, there is this combo of wild wisteria and white dogwood set within a backdrop of pinetrees - boy, takes my breath away every time I see it.
ARG - you know I luv ya! Not surprised you are into wisteria . . . it is one of my all time favorites . . . and OH-SO-SOUTHERN!!!! Take some pix of the wisteria and dogwood and post them!!! Sounds gorgeous . . .

Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Isn't it JUST (oh-so Southern)!? Lilac falls into that category, too, right? honeysuckle, too? You know what else I love and want put in... Hollyhocks. Hollyhocks remind me of my mom. I always loved the really dark ones, you know, the almost black ones. May just go get me some h-hock seeds today. I should be home for a few weeks to look after them, so I should be able to get them going.

I was telling self need to walk up there and shoot that scene of wisteria, dwood and pines to share on this thread... just happens that it is in perhaps a not-so-safe place to park/slow down car. I am definitely heading outside to enjoy the sunny springtime.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Lilac is not southern, it is all over in the north. Mackinac Island in MI has a huge lilac festival.

Now, honeysuckle is southern, I think. I don't know what it looks like(just like I never saw wisteria until last week).

My mom has hollyhocks in MI, too....

Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM

C'mon, Jaynarie-Sweetie, it is VERY obvious from what Ani and I wrote that we weren't meaning that these flowers ONLY grow in the south or are ONLY loved in the South. We were talking along the lines of the fact that generations of Southern women have cherished and cultivated certain types of flowers and things over the years. While I am SURE it is not what you were doing here, personally, I find it a bore when people go all undeservedly Debbie Downer/Political Correctness Police on other CD posters. We're cool, it is just that people seem so testy lately, I had to mention that, cause it is getting on my nerves. Someone ragged on me the other day and I have yet to get over it I guess.

P.S. - just wanted to let you know that I spent a long time this morning composing a reply to your noise situation thread, and the ONLY thing that kept me from posting that 1/2 hour's worth of info was that one has to be VERY careful in unknown environs providing what basically is legal advice. Sorry I could not help ya out. Would dm but it presents the same problem. Have a good one!

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 04-13-2008 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Lilac is not southern, it is all over in the north. Mackinac Island in MI has a huge lilac festival.

Now, honeysuckle is southern, I think. I don't know what it looks like(just like I never saw wisteria until last week).

My mom has hollyhocks in MI, too....
I love lilacs! Yes, they grow in many zones, but the ones that grow here are a different variety then you see in colder regions.

Hollyhocks are terrific, too - a totally different look! They are singular . . .

We have not mentioned hydrangea!!! Lovely, Lovely!!!!

Woops - not to get off the thread about wisteria . . . May I mention a book for your children, "Blue," by Joyce Moyer Hostetter, a friend of mine, who grew up in nearby Catawba County. The title was inspired by Wisteria.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM

Ok, I am going for a drive, perhaps out to Stacy's Garden Center! All this flower beauty talk is making me smile!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,245 times
Quote:
Ok, I am going for a drive, perhaps out to Stacy's Garden Center! All this flower beauty talk is making me smile!
Hey!...not Fair!!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Get a hydrangea! Or - one we have not mentioned - PEONY!!!!!

I have an arbor and I think this post made up my mind . . . I have been trying to decide what vine to put on it . . . I think it's gonna be wisteria!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
C'mon, Jaynarie-Sweetie, it is VERY obvious from what Ani and I wrote that we weren't meaning that these flowers ONLY grow in the south or are ONLY loved in the South. We were talking along the lines of the fact that generations of Southern women have cherished and cultivated certain types of flowers and things over the years. While I am SURE it is not what you were doing here, personally, I find it a bore when people go all undeservedly Debbie Downer/Political Correctness Police on other CD posters. We're cool, it is just that people seem so testy lately, I had to mention that, cause it is getting on my nerves. Someone ragged on me the other day and I have yet to get over it I guess.

P.S. - just wanted to let you know that I spent a long time this morning composing a reply to your noise situation thread, and the ONLY thing that kept me from posting that 1/2 hour's worth of info was that one has to be VERY careful in unknown environs providing what basically is legal advice. Sorry I could not help ya out. Would dm but it presents the same problem. Have a good one!

Sorry. I know they grow everywhere. I just didn't realize people considered lilacs southern when I have been to festivals celebrating them in the north. You had question marks, so I thought you were unsure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte