Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,902 times

Advertisements

Hello, wife and I and our three kids (all 12 and under) considering a move to NC. We've been researching for a few years and finally getting more serious about a making the change. We both work remotely, commuting is not an issue and likely that will stay the same for the foreseeable future. We have the possibility of the an in law situation which would up our budget from $650k to about $850k, meaning they would shack up in whatever property we purchase. Basement will be a requirement...

We put a-lot of time into researching Weddington/Marvin area but recently took a harder look at Fort Mill. I am curious on thoughts on Fort Mill overall, Springfield subdivision looks nice, but overall wanted to get some opinions on the area- particularly as it relates to schools, services. We live in a town in Central MA now and we typically have to drive to other towns get to restaurants and shopping. We like the rural quiet town feel but would like to have some more services close by. Also, our children currently go to Catholic school and we're concerned about putting them into public in a region of the US we aren't familiar with. I am asking about this in the off chance someone else has gone through this already with the mass exodus of Northerners down to NC/SC.

Overall our punch list is:

1) better more relaxed quality of life
2) lower COL
3) home with a basement to accomodate in law situation
4) nice town with good schools for resale
5) Catholic school options
6) proximity to shopping and services

Appreciate any insight into these two areas. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 AM

751 posts, read 935,818 times
You won't find a ton of homes with basements in this area...a lot of homes have a 3rd floor bonus room which people use as their basement...not sure if that'll fit your inlaw's need or not...other homes have 2 masters with one on the main floor.

Fort Mill will be a bit busier (not at all urban) and have more economic diversity than areas like Weddington/Marvin. Schools are good in both areas. You won't have trouble finding shopping in either area.

What is your concern about moving from Catholic to private? Is it the religious education or the overall quality of the education or something else?

Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
You won't find a ton of homes with basements in this area...a lot of homes have a 3rd floor bonus room which people use as their basement...not sure if that'll fit your inlaw's need or not...other homes have 2 masters with one on the main floor.

Fort Mill will be a bit busier (not at all urban) and have more economic diversity than areas like Weddington/Marvin. Schools are good in both areas. You won't have trouble finding shopping in either area.

What is your concern about moving from Catholic to private? Is it the religious education or the overall quality of the education or something else?
thanks..all great advice, much appreciated.

The concern with Catholic as opposed to public is mostly spiritual and the fact the catholic schools can teach outside the text book and address things like morals and values and manners in the classroom etc... I can't speak to the quality of one to the other since I know very little about the publics down there (other than greatschools.org). Where I am now their Catholic school is much better than the local public school. Not saying that is the case everywhere, but what we like about Catholic can also be addressed outside of school through CCD and the fact we attend Church regularly. We also have a solid home environment based on those values, so its not going to go missing. Either way, we don't expect to replicate it, but be nice to have an option as a plan in B in the event Public school wasn't working out.

I did notice basements are not the norm, and not sure a 3rd floor will be good for anything more than a play area since aging folk won't want the stairs long term. I am finding basement homes but they reduce my search considerably and they are pricier it seems.

Last edited by skids929; 05-13-2019 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 AM

107 posts, read 195,921 times
Check out “Massey” in Fort Mill, which is adjacent to Doby’s Bridge Road. There are a good number of homes with walk-out basements. Excellent public schools. The two high schools in this school system are both top 10 in SC. A third will open this fall.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I did notice basements are not the norm, and not sure a 3rd floor will be good for anything more than a play area since aging folk won't want the stairs long term.
I don't follow the logic on this. Why would your in-laws want to live in a basement, either, if they don't want stairs?

Look for an "in-law" apartment or suite. If you're on a site like realtor . com use the keyword "in-law" and some will pop up for you.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't follow the logic on this. Why would your in-laws want to live in a basement, either, if they don't want stairs?

Look for an "in-law" apartment or suite. If you're on a site like realtor . com use the keyword "in-law" and some will pop up for you.

they would have walk out access and I had planned to put a walkway from the walkout access to the third car garage. A basement would have some amenities and attic might not have as well, kitchen, bath etc. minimizing the stair usage.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxe View Post
Check out “Massey” in Fort Mill, which is adjacent to Doby’s Bridge Road. There are a good number of homes with walk-out basements. Excellent public schools. The two high schools in this school system are both top 10 in SC. A third will open this fall.
Thanks looking now, looks like a nice subdivision. basement lots too like you said. Shea any good? homes look nice lots seem smaller though.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdawgg View Post
Shea is good and You'll love Fort Mill it's a small city that's growing.

Word of Caution-Avoid Baxter Village in your housing search. They are grossly over-priced for what you get.

But overall Fort-Mill is a great place to live.

Good-Luck!
thanks! Where do you live now? FM? really liking Springfield seems like a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte