Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Isn’t 485 from Highland Creek to 77 only a couple miles? I don’t live in that specific area but the local roads around Highland Creek seem to get pretty congested around the rush hours as well.

If there is a known issue on 485 OP could also take 85, but I’d imagine most days 485 would be better
It is but my point was traffic isn't backed up and is moving through that area. If the OP ends up in HC, that's where he gets on 485.

Eastfield backs up at the light (I turn from Eastfield left onto Prosperity) and the traffic moves fairly quick in the mornings. I don't have any issues with Prosperity. I can get from my house to 485 most mornings within 10/15 minutes unless there is an accident. If it's real backed up on 485 or 77, I take 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,307 times
Thumbs down wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Use 115 like I did for years going from Statesville and Davidson to Charlotte.. West bound 485 at those hours is a parking lot just like 77 especially around Pineville and CLT exits..

Inaccurate at worst, and inapplicable at best.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post

Inaccurate at worst, and inapplicable at best.
Yeah I only drove it daily for decades and currently live next to it and see it every day... What would I know?

You're more than welcome to try west bound 485 and south bound 77 or 85 at the mentioned hours.. I don't need to guess how it's going to go for you.. Especially with current construction taking it down to two-lanes in many places..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy300 View Post
what would pineville have to do with these commutes?
Pineville and CLT exits and on-ramps are what cause the west bound congestion that effects traffic all the way back to N. 16 junction. Something anyone who commutes there or even drove once at the mentioned hours would already know..

Last edited by TJJT; 05-22-2019 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah I only drove it daily for decades and currently live next to it and see it every day... What would I know?

You're more than welcome to try west bound 485 and south bound 77 or 85 at the mentioned hours.. I don't need to guess how it's going to go for you.. Especially with current construction taking it down to two-lanes in many places..

Pineville and CLT exits and on-ramps are what cause the west bound congestion that effects traffic all the way back to N. 16 junction. Something anyone who commutes there or even drove once at the mentioned hours would already know..
My husband works off of 74 and frequently comes home 485. He left work yesterday at 4:30 and was home at 5:15. He does take 485 to 77 in the mornings but switches it up between 485 and 77 depending on what Waze tells him is faster. His commute is farther than what the OP will have to do as well.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
My husband works off of 74 and frequently comes home 485. He left work yesterday at 4:30 and was home at 5:15. He does take 485 to 77 in the mornings but switches it up between 485 and 77 depending on what Waze tells him is faster. His commute is farther than what the OP will have to do as well.
If you're south or west bound at that time it's a parking lot. The opposite direction away from CLT exits north-east bound 485 only get congested in the evening on some days.

south bound 77 north of Charlotte is famously congested at that time.. Which is why you take 115 or 73 and poplar tent to Charlotte at that time or 27 if you're on the other side of lake norman

77 and 85 are on the news daily I'm not sure why there is even argument..

Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
If you're south or west bound at that time it's a parking lot. The opposite direction away from CLT exits north-east bound 485 only get congested in the evening on some days.

south bound 77 north of Charlotte is famously congested at that time.. Which is why you take 115 or 73 and poplar tent to Charlotte at that time or 27 if you're on the other side of lake norman

Poplar Tent and 73 are awful in the afternoons. You could always do 115 to Huntersville/Concord but Poplar Tent to Harris Road you just sit. They will be widening 73 soon and I can't imagine the mess it will be with the high school and elementary school and Amazon distro center not to mention all the people coming to/from Huntersville in the mornings and afternoons.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

15 posts, read 13,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you looked at Belmont at all?
Yes I’ve thought about Belmont. I do need to take my house hunting trip soon.
I’ll be sure to check it out. We are a family that likes access to a variety of amenities and retail shopping
and restaurant areas like a Birkdale Village.

For Belmont’s location my understanding is it has a small town feel and seems like you’d have to
go to south charlotte or gastonia a lot to get things.

I haven’t crossed it off yet but until I see it I’m not convinced it’s a great fit for us. I’m
excited to get out there to explore.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy300 View Post
Yes I’ve thought about Belmont. I do need to take my house hunting trip soon.
I’ll be sure to check it out. We are a family that likes access to a variety of amenities and retail shopping
and restaurant areas like a Birkdale Village.

For Belmont’s location my understanding is it has a small town feel and seems like you’d have to
go to south charlotte or gastonia a lot to get things.

I haven’t crossed it off yet but until I see it I’m not convinced it’s a great fit for us. I’m
excited to get out there to explore.
Belmont is a smallish city. You can get almost anything that you want in Gastonia. There is a nice little downtown in Belmont and the Jonas family (yes, that Jonas family) has a restaurant, Nellie's, that gets good reviews in downtown. Mr. Jonas' family is from Belmont and the restaurant is named for his grandmother.

I live on the opposite end of the 74/85 corridor from Belmont. Belmont has the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. Gastonia has a nice natural history museum to the west is Crowders Mountain, and on the western end of the corridor is Kings Mountain.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:

Good thing OP is talking more about 485 and not 77 or 85...

485 is what, 65 miles long? The whole thing is not a parking lot. 485 south can back up a little in the mornings where OP is talking about, but it's moreso due to the intersection with 85, and has nothing to do with Pineville which is like 10 miles away from where OP would be exiting.

73 and Poplar Tent to Charlotte? Huh? Those are east/west roads.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Good thing OP is talking more about 485 and not 77 or 85...

485 is what, 65 miles long? The whole thing is not a parking lot. 485 south can back up a little in the mornings where OP is talking about, but it's moreso due to the intersection with 85, and has nothing to do with Pineville which is like 10 miles away from where OP would be exiting.

73 and Poplar Tent to Charlotte? Huh? Those are east/west roads.
He was talking about 115 to 73 to Poplar Tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte