Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 PM

158 posts, read 466,276 times

Advertisements

Hey hey there!

Well I'm going through my final walk through on my new construction home on 4.21. Any advice to give me? Questions to ask? What to look for? We do have an independent inspector, but I respect your opinions too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Check everything and don't allow anything to be overlooked....easier to get them to do it before you take the home then after in some cases. Seems obvious I guess but sometimes you get caught up in the moment.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 AM

195 posts, read 538,683 times
Check everything very carefully. It's best to have more than one set of eyes as well. Check the little things, like floors, crownmolding, doors, windows open and shut properly, look in cabinets, everything. And my advice, which I am sure your real estate agent told you, I wouldn't close until it is all fixed. Again just advice.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 AM

260 posts, read 675,879 times
Just want to congratulate you on your new home. Sorry no advice. (not a homeowner yet).

Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Hey hey there!

Well I'm going through my final walk through on my new construction home on 4.21. Any advice to give me? Questions to ask? What to look for? We do have an independent inspector, but I respect your opinions too!
Check all the door frames. The tops of door frames are out of site and they often will not caulk and more than likely a half inch of drywall dust will be sitting on top of them. Subcontrators will try to do as little as possible. Make sure they caulk around the shower stalls, those are often higher than eyesight as well. Take a close look at the walls and make sure the drywall is straight. Studs made of wood will sometimes bow and push out the drywall.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:27 AM

124 posts, read 440,551 times
Here's some things that we did (or wish we'd done) when we had our final walkthrough:

Make a checklist of all the things you feel are important: windows and doors operating properly, plumbing is ok, toilets don't rock, cabinets close, etc. Make the checklist on a room-by-room basis. If you don't have any ideas about what to put on your list, go through the apartment/house you live in now as if it was your new place and think of things you'd check or look for.

Bring with you a list of all the upgrades/changes you requested, and go through the list as you walk through the house, making sure they're all done (or done properly).

Don't forget to walk around the outside of your house too! Make sure there aren't any exposed pipes, cracks in concrete, or things that don't look right or belong.

Ask your realtor to come with you. Bring your husband/wife along. Ask another family member who's handy, or whose judgment you trust. The more eyes you have with you, the better off you are.

I'm not joking now: Get down on your hands and knees and look at the house from that angle. You never know.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Here are things I have either dealt with or had friends who dealt with (in addition to the items others have mentioned)

Outlets - check to make sure they put in all the outlets you specified.

Kitchen lighting - same here - make sure you got what you expected

Flooring - if it squeaks now, address it now

Closets - make sure they are finished off as you expected

Stairs - if they don't feel solid, you have a problem - check all handrails

Make sure you got the grade of products you specified

Check inside cabinets on workmanship - check all drawers for smooth operation

Grout!!! Take a hard look at all areas w/ grouting

Good luck!!!! And congratulations!!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:45 AM

673 posts, read 2,681,101 times
Here are some less obvious things to look for. These are things you may not notice until it's too late.

Correct placement of electrical items (ceiling fan, cable, ethernet, recessed lighting)
Make sure all interior doors stay closed & can lock.
Caulking around window sills, tubs, showers, etc.
Check cabinet door hinges.
Make sure all windows have screens & can open & close properly.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Look at all the caulking on all baseboards and tubs. Make sure it is not thin-looking anywhere - it should be even in thickness and height across the wall. Turn on all hot water faucets and make sure hot actually comes out - I had a plumber doing remodelling who crossed the hot and cold lines! Open all windows to make sure they open easily. And get it in writing what they are going to do if you have to clsoe before everything gets fixed!! Good luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Make sure things that are supposed to close tightly do (attic doors, kitchen cabinets, etc.)

Things that are supposed to be plumb are (built in dishwashers, ovens, doors)

Inspect weatherstrips in windows and doors.

If with vinyl siding, check none of them are bowed. Check flashings, downspouts, gutters for loose bolts.

Check how garage doors open and shut. Have them re-oiled if need be.

Check that your sprinkler system is working in all stations at all settings.

If lights burn out too quickly in the same spot (ours did in one or two of 10 canned lights in the kitchen), have them check for loose connections.

Check unusual erosions on hills. Ours did where our AC units are and they have had to replace the entire retaining wall around it lest the units slide down to the neighbors later.

Check that all standard landscaping has been done. We were missing a cherry tree in front and they had to get us a new one.

If they say your ceilings are wired for fans, make sure you have 3 switches in the room. Ask if the fan bracket is underneath that light fixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte