Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 11:06 AM

443 posts, read 1,258,298 times

Advertisements

Job offers in two areas outside of Charlotte. Charlotte is a must for place to live for now for too many reasons to list. So:

Charlotte to Mooresville
vs
Charlotte to Fort Mill

Which is the more difficult commute and why?
They will be living in NW Charlotte Mountain Island area near 485.

Work will be traditionally hours (8am to 5pm, generally)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:09 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
I have co-workers that live near Mountain Island Lake and it's an easy commute into Uptown. I had a co-worker that commuted from Fort Mill via the train and his commute was becoming longer (though he used the train). I think Mountain Island Lake is the easier place to live and to commute into Charlotte. If schools are needed, I'd look into Charters (Mountain Island, Lake Norman Charter, Gaston Charter, or even Gaston Day).

Old 12-19-2019, 11:14 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I have co-workers that live near Mountain Island Lake and it's an easy commute into Uptown. I had a co-worker that commuted from Fort Mill via the train and his commute was becoming longer (though he used the train). I think Mountain Island Lake is the easier place to live and to commute into Charlotte. If schools are needed, I'd look into Charters (Mountain Island, Lake Norman Charter, Gaston Charter, or even Gaston Day).
I THINK the OP is asking about commuting from the Mt. Island Lake area to either Mooresville or Ft. Mill, but I may be wrong and it woukld be nice to have clarification.

If that is correct, I'd say commuting to Mooresville would be a better option than to Ft. Mill, especially if one is willing to pay to use the toll lanes.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:17 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
I would think Mountain Island Lake to Mooresville would be the better commute since it is reverse to the typical flow inbound to Charlotte. Traffic on 485 around 85 and 77 can be a mess due to all the people that work in the Fort Mill and Ballantyne areas (as well as merging onto 77 north to Uptown).

Old 12-19-2019, 11:57 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I THINK the OP is asking about commuting from the Mt. Island Lake area to either Mooresville or Ft. Mill, but I may be wrong and it woukld be nice to have clarification.

If that is correct, I'd say commuting to Mooresville would be a better option than to Ft. Mill, especially if one is willing to pay to use the toll lanes.
His title is Charlotte to Fort Mill or Charlotte to Mooresville (and I think it's more Mountain Island Lake vs Mooresville).

Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
His title is Charlotte to Fort Mill or Charlotte to Mooresville (and I think it's more Mountain Island Lake vs Mooresville).
The body of the post says "Job offers in two areas outside Charlotte" and indicates those two areas are Mooresville and Ft. Mill. Also says "They (?) will be living in NW Charlotte Mountain Island area...". Which leads me to believe the question is: Better to commute from Mt. Island Lake area to Mooresville or the Mt. Island Lake area to Ft. Mill?

No mention of working Uptown.

Clarification from the OP would be nice.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
Just use google maps during the time you want to leave for work to both areas from Mountain Island for a week and see what the average time would be, which is live traffic

Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Mooresville is easily the better commute. I-77 now has additional lanes in that area with the Express Lanes open that have greatly eased the traffic constraints up there. I-77 (and 485) heading into Fort Mill is a mess for most of the day in both directions and will likely stay that way for the next 10 years as it's going to be a while before NC widens that section of 77.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Depending on where in Mooresville or Fort Mill, I think they're pretty similar, but could be 45 mins-1 hour at rush hour (currently at 4:15 PM showing ~44 mins from Mooresville and ~47 mins from Fort Mill to the Walmart off of NC 16 at 485 - depending on where in Mountain Island likely would need to add a few minutes to that).

As mentioned above I would maybe lean towards Mooresville since you'd have the option of the toll lanes. If on the east side of Mooresville, you also have a slightly better alternate route that avoids 77 by taking NC-3 to eventually 485. To Fort Mill you're basically stuck taking 485 (but may not need to take 77 depending on where you're going).

Old 12-28-2019, 08:08 AM

443 posts, read 1,258,298 times
OP here. For clarity I am indeed asking about commuting from the Mt. Island Lake area to either Mooresville or Ft. Mill.

Thank you for the feedback! Any additional thoughts are welcome. Right now, seems Mooresville would be the best especially if express lanes are utilized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte