Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
i hope those in lincolnton are alright, pretty big tornado for our state at least touched down there today.
Yeah, I am hoping we hear more on the news. I am concerned, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Mother Nature is starting to get pissed!

This is not so normal as I have researched, but violent storms are up in almost every part of the country and I would be the world. Even in Texas, Tornado Alley so to speak, our homes were built the same, no basements. The best thing I would recommend even if you don't have a "safe room" is go to the firts floor, keep away from the windows and if a tornado is eminant, grab a mattress and lay it over you.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
i hope those in lincolnton are alright, pretty big tornado for our state at least touched down there today.
I do not live in the area yet but will be down there in a couple of months. Since I am not in NC yet I get most of my information from this forum. When and where did the tornado hit in Lincolnton? How many tornados have there been in Lincolnton in the last year? Remind me again why I am moving there Increased crime, falling property values(already paid top dollar for my house) now tornados!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!! Please don't tell me we are on a fault line.
I hope everyone is safe and not too much damage.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,756,796 times
I am used to tornados since I am from Ohio. The big killer tornado that hit CIncinnati and Xenia in '74 hit close to our house. I have been scared of them ever since. I was always the first one in the basement when there was a warning when I lived up there. Now I have no basement. All 5 of us would need to go into our first floor powder room. And there is a mirror in there which isn't good. I get a chuckle when I read that you should have a mattress handy to put over you. The family barely would fit in that room, and only if we all stand up, much less a mattress. When I moved here I was told this area rarely got tornados except those that come from a hurricane. So what the heck? I still wish I knew why we don't have basements here. We lived in Texas near the coast and didn't have basements but that was because we lived too near the coast and you couldn't have basements. I don't understand why these homes are built here without basements. You would never be able to sell a house without a basement in Ohio.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, I am hoping we hear more on the news. I am concerned, too.
Well, the storm expected to be here by mdinight.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 AM

8 posts, read 36,661 times
I just wanted to jump in here. I hate tornadoes -- am really afraid of them. I've lived in NC Charlotte area for 10 years now. This is incredibly rare. This year is obviously a very bad year for this kind of severe weather. In the past 10 years I can only remember 1 tornado warning for where I was living at the time and that one never even touched down. Watches might have been frequent but not this level of warnings and actual sightings. I hope it diminishes as we get into the Summer months and these types of weather systems aren't spawned as much.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,821 times
Default well that is good news Charlottemom

I thought they were pretty rare to touch down here. I just can't believe how windy it is the past few days.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
This morning on CNN, they stated that so far, this was the worst tornado season (nation-wide) in 10 years. I do not know what they use to determine the term "worst." I would assume simply in number of tornadoes. However, it could mean "worst" in terms of lives lost or cost to replace property. They didn't define it so I am assuming they simply were referring to number of active tornadoes.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,821 times
Default It just seems very active

I feel so bad for the families that have lost their homes.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This morning on CNN, they stated that so far, this was the worst tornado season (nation-wide) in 10 years. I do not know what they use to determine the term "worst." I would assume simply in number of tornadoes. However, it could mean "worst" in terms of lives lost or cost to replace property. They didn't define it so I am assuming they simply were referring to number of active tornadoes.
The Online Tornado FAQ (by Roger Edwards, SPC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte