Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 04:54 PM

26 posts, read 79,088 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all the kind people on this board, we were in Charlotte for less than 48 hours and managed to visit a few towns. Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Waxhaw, Monroe, and Indian Land. I thought I would love Tega Cay, but it was really congested (at the least the places WE could afford). Didn't care for it as much as I was hoping. Fort Mill seemed nice but it was pretty big and hard to find older neighborhoods. The highschool seemed great!

Didn't care for Indian Land (from what we saw of it), and didn't visit much about Monroe except a friends house who lives there on Waxhaw Highway. We really really liked the town of Waxhaw and managed to find an older neighborhood where the houses weren't so "on top of each other". The road was called "Hermitage Place" however there wasn't ONE house for sale back there. LOL. We ate at Marinos pizza and grill and it was EXCELLENT. The coney sauce was awesome and my daughter had great pizza. I didn't like how far away the highschool was though (Parkwood). Seemed to take FOREVER to get there. Hard to see, too, because of all of the construction at the entrance to the highschool.

Wanted to get to Weddington, but didn't make it. Now we're considered a town called Locust closer to Albemarle (see other thread).

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the help thus far. You made my trip very productive!

Dena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,217,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpenfam View Post
Thanks to all the kind people on this board, we were in Charlotte for less than 48 hours and managed to visit a few towns. Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Waxhaw, Monroe, and Indian Land. I thought I would love Tega Cay, but it was really congested (at the least the places WE could afford). Didn't care for it as much as I was hoping. Fort Mill seemed nice but it was pretty big and hard to find older neighborhoods. The highschool seemed great!

Didn't care for Indian Land (from what we saw of it), and didn't visit much about Monroe except a friends house who lives there on Waxhaw Highway. We really really liked the town of Waxhaw and managed to find an older neighborhood where the houses weren't so "on top of each other". The road was called "Hermitage Place" however there wasn't ONE house for sale back there. LOL. We ate at Marinos pizza and grill and it was EXCELLENT. The coney sauce was awesome and my daughter had great pizza. I didn't like how far away the highschool was though (Parkwood). Seemed to take FOREVER to get there. Hard to see, too, because of all of the construction at the entrance to the highschool.

Wanted to get to Weddington, but didn't make it. Now we're considered a town called Locust closer to Albemarle (see other thread).

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the help thus far. You made my trip very productive!

Dena
Okay Dena...even though you dissed my hometown (Tega Cay)...I might have a suggestion for you in regard to Locust, NC (and honestly I am just kidding you about T.C. ) There is a place in Locust they we frequent called "Old School" (the website is below). The owner's name is Dave (really nice guy and very outgoing)..you might send him an email in regard to the area in question...and see what he has to say. If you go out there again make sure to stop in...its a great place for fresh breads, homemade ice cream, bakery items...and he even has a restaurant located inside that is called Fresh House (excellent home cooking).

The only other thing that I might add is that I have a friend that lived out there at one time...but didn't last long as she felt it was too far out...but realizing that we all have different wants and needs...it may be just what you are looking for.

Another spot you might also be interested in is Clover, SC (I would think the commute for your husband would be easier...just a suggestion)

Good Luck to you!

http://www.oldschool.com/index.html (broken link)

Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 PM

26 posts, read 79,088 times
Lovethecarolinas..........thanks so much for the link!! I'm sorry I dissed your town....LOL! Actually, I really LIKED the town, I just didn't like how the houses were so on top of each other and the STEEEEEP driveway slopes. WOW!!!! We looked at the houses around the fire station (I'm sure you know where I mean). We can't afford much more than 200K at this point, so we didn't even look in the beautiful neighborhoods we saw off of Tega Cay Dr. If we could afford those, I'm sure my opinion of Tega Cay would have been much higher! LOL!! Anyway, thanks again for the link. I will check it out right now. I really would love to live "out there" so I will give Locust, Oakboro and Stanfield another look. West Stanly schools look like they are good, too. The search continues................

Old 01-03-2007, 01:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,805,368 times
Try Indian Trail
Taylor Glenn
Brandon Oaks..nice neighborhoods as well.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
ohpenfam - my family moved to Fort Mill a couple months ago and we love it here. There are older neighborhoods here, but not many. Fort Mill had a lot of large family farms and acreage until about 10-15 years ago and then started getting built up. I'm in an "older" development but our house is only 10 years old (which is brand new to me, since I came from a 67+ year old house in NoNJ!). And yes, the schools in Fort Mill are OUTSTANDING (it's the main reason we moved here).

If you want any realtor recommendations for this area, feel free to PM me and I'll give you a name of a great realtor who can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte