Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bad neighborhoods: armed robbery, racism level, local job market, help desk jobs, modest house

Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM

250 posts, read 529,933 times

Advertisements

This may not be the most popular way to state or ask this, but can someone please supply me (and others inquiring) with neighborhood names where we WOULD NOT want to live unless extremely desperate and willing to risk life and property?

Now I am well aware that emotion can enter into this and someone who has been the victim of a break-in or armed robbery will likely respond based on their experiences, but I would like to avoid living my life where I need to be concerned that while I am at work some crackhead will break into my house and kill my dog while robbing me.

It frightens me to even think about how I would react to something like that.

So where do I go to avoid that element?

If I decide to move I would be coming from Akron Ohio, so know that I am not exactly living in Morningside Heights right now.... the locals here call it Crackron or Blackron depending on the level of racism in the person making the statement.... Crime can be pretty bad here, though I live in a tight neighborhood where there have not been many incidents.

I would hate to move and sign a lease and be stuck somewhere awful for a year.

Someone also mentioned job market in another thread. I think the perspective of your local job market is relative to what else you know. Northeast Ohio is DEAD for jobs. IT jobs are so scarce here that MCSE level people are working $13 an hour help desk jobs. And the people that should have the $13 help desk jobs are unemployed. I know of people who say a job market is bad because THEY can't find a job at $250,000 per year. I would be happy with a $17-19 an hour IT job and a modest rented house in a safe area.....

Suggestions?

Other than "Stay in Ohio"...... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
This may not be the most popular way to state or ask this, but can someone please supply me (and others inquiring) with neighborhood names where we WOULD NOT want to live unless extremely desperate and willing to risk life and property?

Now I am well aware that emotion can enter into this and someone who has been the victim of a break-in or armed robbery will likely respond based on their experiences, but I would like to avoid living my life where I need to be concerned that while I am at work some crackhead will break into my house and kill my dog while robbing me.

It frightens me to even think about how I would react to something like that.

So where do I go to avoid that element?

If I decide to move I would be coming from Akron Ohio, so know that I am not exactly living in Morningside Heights right now.... the locals here call it Crackron or Blackron depending on the level of racism in the person making the statement.... Crime can be pretty bad here, though I live in a tight neighborhood where there have not been many incidents.

I would hate to move and sign a lease and be stuck somewhere awful for a year.

Someone also mentioned job market in another thread. I think the perspective of your local job market is relative to what else you know. Northeast Ohio is DEAD for jobs. IT jobs are so scarce here that MCSE level people are working $13 an hour help desk jobs. And the people that should have the $13 help desk jobs are unemployed. I know of people who say a job market is bad because THEY can't find a job at $250,000 per year. I would be happy with a $17-19 an hour IT job and a modest rented house in a safe area.....

Suggestions?

Other than "Stay in Ohio"...... :-)
Well wouldn't say that Charlotte is Dead jobwise, but I will say that jobs are not that easy to obtain here anymore. Economy wise, we aren't doing too bad, but groceries are high and gas prices, Ouch.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in terms of living arrangements. If you can afford to live uptown then that would probably be a wise choice, outside the city, Ballantyne, S. Charlotte, Matthews, (though more family friendly) huntersville, Cornilius, all good places to live with low crime.

While we have some known hoods, we have also had problems in the burbs b/c the thugs have come out of their hoods to get the goods from the wealthier folks. Charlotte has recognized this problem and has implemented things that will hopefully in the near future make the troubled areas of Charlotte safer.

Are you looking to rent an apartment or buy a home? I couldn't decide from your post. If you want to help ensure that your pet will be safe at home, maybe look into a neighborhood with a security patrole. This is a big crime detterent. My neighborhood has one and I couldn't feel safer.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:51 PM

I will probably look to rent a house. At my age I really don't want to enter into a mortage, IF they would give me one seeing that I am less than 10 years from what is considered retirement age.

I did look at some real estate ads earlier and found some rental houses that would work out well for me at $750, however, not knowing neighborhoods....

Comparing what I see on careerbuilder in the Charlotte area to what I see on the same system in my current area, there are about 4 times as many listings there. Northeast Ohio is dead. Cleveland in particular is a shell of what it was. The city spends millions to "rediscover" downtown and reinvent it every 10 years or so, but quickly the punks and thugs come downtown mugging and hurting people, and that scares the people away, so it dies. Then the current city powers clean it up, rebuild it, and the cycle starts again. This current breath of fresh air that is going on (or bag of wind, as most see it) is $252 million JUST for a nitelife area known as The Flats. When it's done, the hip hop crowd will come in, sell drugs, get the clubs busted because of fighting, rob the people as they head back to their cars, and the clubs will close due to lack of business. And in somewhere around 2020 it will all start over.

I want to get away from that. I know there are going to be bad areas anywhere I go, but I want to find fewer of them and "less bad".

Job is my main concern. I may drive down during a stretch of time off I have starting later this week to look things over.

In the meantime, I would appreciate a Sunday paper if some kind soul would send me one. I'd make up both the cost of the paper and the postage and then some. If I buy it at our local "out of town news" stand, it will be LAST week's paper and I wouldn't get it until Thursday.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
I will probably look to rent a house. At my age I really don't want to enter into a mortage, IF they would give me one seeing that I am less than 10 years from what is considered retirement age.

I refinanced my house (GMAC) last year at age 65 AND being retired. If you have any income, they will finance you!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
key being last year. The financial market has changed dramatically. With that being said you could still get a mortgage if your credit is decent.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:

I did look at some real estate ads earlier and found some rental houses that would work out well for me at $750, however, not knowing neighborhoods....

Comparing what I see on careerbuilder in the Charlotte area to what I see on the same system in my current area, there are about 4 times as many listings there. Northeast Ohio is dead. Cleveland in particular is a shell of what it was. The city spends millions to "rediscover" downtown and reinvent it every 10 years or so, but quickly the punks and thugs come downtown mugging and hurting people, and that scares the people away, so it dies. Then the current city powers clean it up, rebuild it, and the cycle starts again. This current breath of fresh air that is going on (or bag of wind, as most see it) is $252 million JUST for a nitelife area known as The Flats. When it's done, the hip hop crowd will come in, sell drugs, get the clubs busted because of fighting, rob the people as they head back to their cars, and the clubs will close due to lack of business. And in somewhere around 2020 it will all start over.

I want to get away from that. I know there are going to be bad areas anywhere I go, but I want to find fewer of them and "less bad".

Job is my main concern. I may drive down during a stretch of time off I have starting later this week to look things over.

In the meantime, I would appreciate a Sunday paper if some kind soul would send me one. I'd make up both the cost of the paper and the postage and then some. If I buy it at our local "out of town news" stand, it will be LAST week's paper and I wouldn't get it until Thursday.
Eddie, let me save you the cash...you can read our paper, even the classifieds online Charlotte Observer | Frontpage (http://www.charlotte.com/ - broken link)

Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
Eddie, I highly recommend you have a job lined up before you come here. Once you know what you'll be making, you'll have a much easier time knowing how much you want to pay for a place to live. See, the funny thing about Charlotte is that is not so divided racially or culturally as it is divided economically. All in all, I would say that the more you can afford, the "better" an area you can live in.

I don't know how the pay scale compares to where you're coming from, but many people find they make less here than where they came from. So I would keep that in mind too, while you're searching. Best of luck!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Charlotte Chamber - Area Wage & Salary Survey

Charlotte Chamber - Average Income

Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all of you who replied! All great and useful information.

I would be coming down as a job transfer in my company, so work is not a huge issues. Living close to work would put me in the Matthews area and I have found several apartments that look good. I am actually going to visit the area for a few days later this month and see some of this stuff for myself.

Maybe even have some barbecue.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte