Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2022, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 5,604 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My family is relocating to Charlotte from FL for work.

I’d appreciate any suggestions on nice neighborhoods with great schools nearby(elementary and middle).
Our kids are attending a gifted program at an IB school. We’d like to continue with the gifted education and know if there are any IB schools too.
I love to walk and jog with our dog - we do 5 miles every day so having parks & trails nearby would be great.
Our budget is up to $1.5MM.

Last edited by gipsychick; 01-22-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM

335 posts, read 427,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsychick View Post
Hi!
My family is relocating to Charlotte from FL for work.

I’d appreciate any suggestions on nice neighborhoods with great schools nearby(elementary and middle).
Our kids are attending a gifted program at an IB school. We’d like to continue with the gifted education and know if there are any IB schools too.
I love to walk and jog with our dog - we do 5 miles every day so having parks & trails nearby would be great.
Our budget is up to $1.5MM.
This article talks about the highest rated schools in this area that offer IB programs… https://www.niche.com/k12/search/sch...te-metro-area/

Basically, Country Day in south Charlotte (private), Myers Park High School (pretty expensive but very upscale zip code just south of uptown), Marvin Ridge down south of the city in Marvin (where you can get a lot larger lot size and bigger house than Myers Park or other areas of south Charlotte closer in), and the British International School over in the Ballantyne area…those are the three highest rated according to Niche, obviously those ratings are not the only deciding factor of what makes a school good or not, so I’m sure other people here will have opinions they can share.
If I were spending up to $1.5 million, I’d probably look near Myers Park or the areas around Country Day if you’re okay with going private. Those are in some extremely desirable neighborhoods…but to be honest, Marvin is becoming very competitive as well. I guess it depends on whether you want to be IN the city near shops and cool older neighborhoods of beautiful old money homes, or down in Marvin you’d be 45-55 minutes outside the city but you’re looking at a much bigger lot, larger home, but still some beautiful and well off neighborhoods down there as well. Just depends on your preferred lifestyle.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Do you need to commute to Uptown? Is living close to work a necessity?

Agreeing with the previous poster. My kids go to Marvin and we have been happy with the schools overall.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:18 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
The last I read, the IB program housed at Marvin Ridge is open enrollment to any student in the UPCS attendance area on an applicant basis regardless of current school attendance guidelines.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:25 AM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
Investigate Davidson, Cornelius, and Mooresville. All are less than 30 minutes to uptown Charlotte and mostly have reputations for really good schools. Mooresville has an independent school district for which I have heard people rave about. You could also get a crime occurrence map of Mecklenburg County on the internet to see where you don't want to send your kids. You might consider researching schools individually for demographics, another factor. What one may consider a good school may make not a good school in the opinion of others. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:44 PM

58 posts, read 61,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
Investigate Davidson, Cornelius, and Mooresville. All are less than 30 minutes to uptown Charlotte and mostly have reputations for really good schools. Mooresville has an independent school district for which I have heard people rave about. You could also get a crime occurrence map of Mecklenburg County on the internet to see where you don't want to send your kids. You might consider researching schools individually for demographics, another factor. What one may consider a good school may make not a good school in the opinion of others. Good luck.

All of those places are less than 30 minutes assuming there is no traffic. Those numbers could ramp up to 45+ min between 6am-10am and 3pm-7pm. Compared to the best schools of Charlotte, which OPs kids probably have a good chance of getting into, they're not that great. Plus, the school infrastructure and teacher population isn't accommodating to more people.

For regular and frequent occurrences of violent/property crime, that occurs in very few places outside of the "wedge" portion of Charlotte (east of I-77 and south of hwy 74). I live in NW Charlotte and besides the planes flying overhead, it's quiet.

OP, if you are looking for places to good schools and walkable neighborhoods. Start at Southpark and spread out from there. You'll probably want to stay near the Little Sugar Creek greenway, which will soon-enough reach almost the entire length of the county.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:58 PM

58 posts, read 61,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
This article talks about the highest rated schools in this area that offer IB programs… https://www.niche.com/k12/search/sch...te-metro-area/

...Marvin Ridge down south of the city in Marvin (where you can get a lot larger lot size and bigger house than Myers Park or other areas of south Charlotte closer in)...

FYI Gaston Day School ranks above Marvin, Gastonia is affordable and has an established downtown area compared to Marvin. Very walkable area, you're also close to Kings Mountain and Crowder's Mountain for hiking. Not saying you should go for Gastonia over Charlotte, but something else to consider over Union County.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:03 PM

335 posts, read 427,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTCDR View Post
FYI Gaston Day School ranks above Marvin, Gastonia is affordable and has an established downtown area compared to Marvin. Very walkable area, you're also close to Kings Mountain and Crowder's Mountain for hiking. Not saying you should go for Gastonia over Charlotte, but something else to consider over Union County.
Thank you for the info on Gaston Day, I wasn’t aware it was so highly regarded. Good to know!

Old 01-25-2022, 02:36 PM

1,149 posts, read 933,810 times
I would agree that Marvin has the best schools.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Most of us will say that the schools in our neighborhood are the best! If I was going to spend $1.5M I would choose Myers Park or Southpark.

As stated there are good schools outside of Charlotte if you don't mind living outside of Charlotte. Personally, I prefer to be inside of Hwy #51 for a lot of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte