Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM

26 posts, read 62,373 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Charlotte in the Summer and would like to know what are some good H.S. in the area of Mecklenburg Co. Union County and Concord. I heard the other two Counties were pretty good. Which part of Mecklenburg would be good to focus on for boys in H.S. I pulled up some information on the Mecklenburg Co. Schools and see where the schools fall as far as SAT but as far as crime and gangs, etc. I am trying to avoid as much of that as possible and allow kids to get a good education in preparation of College. What about the sports in those schools both are very good in Basketball, baseball and football. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdixon View Post
I am moving to Charlotte in the Summer and would like to know what are some good H.S. in the area of Mecklenburg Co. Union County and Concord. I heard the other two Counties were pretty good. Which part of Mecklenburg would be good to focus on for boys in H.S. I pulled up some information on the Mecklenburg Co. Schools and see where the schools fall as far as SAT but as far as crime and gangs, etc. I am trying to avoid as much of that as possible and allow kids to get a good education in preparation of College. What about the sports in those schools both are very good in Basketball, baseball and football. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Best public high schools in Charlotte-Mecklenburg are Providence, Myers Park and probably Ardry Kell (it is new this year but its neighborhood demographics would indicate it will be very successful academically).

Independence High School in Mint Hill has the state football championship team. They set a record last month for the most wins in a row of any high school in the country. They are currently champs for the last 6 years in a row. The academic numbers may not be as good there as the other 3 schools, but there are a lot of good things about that school. Even Myers Park with its great reputation academically has some social problems, but people still clamor to get their kids in there for the great college prep courses. You kind of need to look at each school individually and see what they might offer your particular child.

Corcord High School has a good rep and are state champs in their smaller division in football two years in a row now. Union county schools are all so overcrowded. And though new schools are being built, the atheletic programs at the high school level take time to develop. Your boys wouldn't find any established sports programs in any new schools before they could graduate.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM

It appears that you and I have been conversing on this subject and most if not all of my feedback is coming from you. Which I truly appreciate and it has been quite helpful, as I have researched some of the information that you have already given me and appears to be on point. I now will just have to come to Charlotte one weekend and tour the place and scout out each area of interest and start sending my resume out to some of the vacant positions in the legal field. If you know of any good law firms preferably practicing in domestic family law area please forward that onto me. Most of the positions I see posted are in litigation which is where I am at now and hate with a passion but will deal with it just to get started in the area. Thanks again for the information.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It appears that you and I have been conversing on this subject and most if not all of my feedback is coming from you. Which I truly appreciate and it has been quite helpful, as I have researched some of the information that you have already given me and appears to be on point. I now will just have to come to Charlotte one weekend and tour the place and scout out each area of interest and start sending my resume out to some of the vacant positions in the legal field. If you know of any good law firms preferably practicing in domestic family law area please forward that onto me. Most of the positions I see posted are in litigation which is where I am at now and hate with a passion but will deal with it just to get started in the area. Thanks again for the information.

And if I could make one more suggestion...try to come on a week day when you could visit a few of the schools. This would help you to get a feel for each student body and the administration. A good friend is a paralegal, I will ask her about family law firms for you. Sorry you didn't get other people opinions besides mine, I think most of the regulars here have younger child and aren't yet as familiar with the high schools

Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks again. Keep me posted on info from your friend that is a paralegal. Are there any local job sites I can go to outside the regular ones like Career Builder, Monster, etc. I have come across a few off the internet but not sure whether I have covered all grounds to look for jobs in the Charlotte area?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. Keep me posted on info from your friend that is a paralegal. Are there any local job sites I can go to outside the regular ones like Career Builder, Monster, etc. I have come across a few off the internet but not sure whether I have covered all grounds to look for jobs in the Charlotte area?

I would check the newspaper ads at the Charlotte Observer (which you can do online). But also, get your hands on a Charlotte yellow pages and think about sending your resume to the law firms you find there Have already left a message for my friend for more info. I will post after I have spoken to her.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Thanks for looking out for me that way and I will take your advice and get my sister who lives in Charlotte to get her hands on one or I will just take hers. She lives in the Matthews area and has no kids so she can only tell me about the traffic and distance of things but no info on schools. So once again thanks a bunch.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for looking out for me that way and I will take your advice and get my sister who lives in Charlotte to get her hands on one or I will just take hers. She lives in the Matthews area and has no kids so she can only tell me about the traffic and distance of things but no info on schools. So once again thanks a bunch.
No problem I try hard to only give advice I myself would take.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
I agree with the above statements but Butler was left out.

Myers Park and Butler were ranked earlier this year in the top 1000 High Schools in the nation. Myers Park was in the top 100 and also was the first to have the IB Program.

I went to that HS and have a younger brother who is about to graduate. All of them are big on athletics and most have educators that have been their a very long time and have won many awards for their accomplishments.

PM me if you would like more information. I can also setup a property search for you based on your criteria.

Best Wishes!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
I agree with the above statements but Butler was left out.

Myers Park and Butler were ranked earlier this year in the top 1000 High Schools in the nation. Myers Park was in the top 100 and also was the first to have the IB Program.

I went to that HS and have a younger brother who is about to graduate. All of them are big on athletics and most have educators that have been their a very long time and have won many awards for their accomplishments.

PM me if you would like more information. I can also setup a property search for you based on your criteria.

Best Wishes!

Didn't mean to slight Butler The problem for me with Butler, as well as with North Mecklenburg, is the overcrowding. With that overcrowding has come more incidents of violence on campus, not that anyone has been seriously hurt or anything, but there have been problems I'd personally avoid putting my kids in the middle of. But that's just me I'm glad you had a good experience there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte