Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

743 posts, read 2,245,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Forget the fact that it was a vitamin, even if you believe that a vitamin wouldn't really "hurt" someone. He gave the students a pill. Think about the message that sends if the consequence isn't that severe. Do you really think a 3rd grade student understands the difference between a vitamin and any other pill he may have given them? Third grade students trust their teacher and would probably take anything he gave them.
I was thinking the same thing last night, very true. At the age of 3rd grader, which my son is in 2nd grade, they learn to trust those close to them. I feel a teacher is close as they spend everyday with them. If they feel it is okay to take vitamins then yes they will take anything. Plus I feel he overstepped his boundaries and decided to be the parent. If the parents feel it is not necessary to give their child a vitamin, then it is not his place to do it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,706 times
I would like to add that I find it interesting that my teens who attended prom in this same school district came home last year with Martini Glasses with candles in them for prom favors. A teacher is arrested for giving a vitamin, yet we give teens prom favors that promote underage drinking. Just so incongruent. It is so confusing to be a teacher, parent, or student in this day and age.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,986,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
I would like to add that I find it interesting that my teens who attended prom in this same school district came home last year with Martini Glasses with candles in them for prom favors. A teacher is arrested for giving a vitamin, yet we give teens prom favors that promote underage drinking. Just so incongruent. It is so confusing to be a teacher, parent, or student in this day and age.
I would have been sitting on the curb of that school the next day waiting for it to open if someone gave my child a martini glass for a favor at her prom. Who thought of that?? Better yet, who o.k.'d it???

Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 AM

175 posts, read 546,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What were the *other* incidents? I'm curious. I've heard of none.

You do realize he was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor? Are they afraid they'll become Vitamin Junkies? Surely they can come up w/ a better charge than that!

Those dosages were confirmed to be in NO WAY harmful to these children. It's not the same thing as handing out Adderall.
How do you know that an adult vitamin isn't harmful to one of those children. It is absolutely not up to anyone to just assume that but the parents!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,910,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I would have been sitting on the curb of that school the next day waiting for it to open if someone gave my child a martini glass for a favor at her prom. Who thought of that?? Better yet, who o.k.'d it???
Next thing we know it would be condoms they're giving away as favors!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 AM

8 posts, read 22,578 times
Sophialee, I agree with you that you are entitled to your opinion and I agree with you that it was only vitamins, but that doesn't change the fact that what the teacher did was completely wrong and in this case "snitching" was totally correct. Besides being ethically correct in this case to "snitch", had a child had a bad reaction the teacher that "snitched" or rather didn't "snitch" would have been in legal trouble as well as the teacher handing out the vitamins. Additionally, some of the "snitches" were the kids who did the exact right thing in telling.

Had a co-worker been handing out vitamins to adult co-workers, I'd agree with you 100% that this isn't a big deal. Adults can make their own decisions. But it isn't up to a teacher to decide if a child can take a vitamin. It isn't even up to the child. It's up to the parent. The teacher may have had his heart in the right place, but he knew what he was doing was wrong. Even if he didn't understand that what he was doing was ethically wrong (which I find hard to believe), he knew it violated every school policy. He should lose his job and be grateful if that's all that happens.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Next thing we know it would be condoms they're giving away as favors!
Maybe tied up with some curly ribbon? I have to laugh otherwise, I'll cry

Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,706 times
If this man loses his job, frankly, I would be shocked. Educators in Union County have gotten away with so many worse antics over the 8 years that I have lived here. The local boards of education in North Carolina determine policies for each district, and Union County is evolving and progressing day by day. Things are better in 2008, but this has been a district that has been less parent and student friendly than any other that I have seen or lived in. In my humble opinion, this incident would have been ignored a few years ago. I believe that there is increased awareness of the fact that all educators may not be adhering to policies and law. Instead of covering this up, there is increasing accountability. I hope that this sends a clear message to all adults in the district, and that those few who wish to break the rules will know that this will not be condoned.
I still would be very surprised if he is fired. I know of adminstrators and teachers in this district who have done far worse who are still on the payroll.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
If this man loses his job, frankly, I would be shocked. Educators in Union County have gotten away with so many worse antics over the 8 years that I have lived here. The local boards of education in North Carolina determine policies for each district, and Union County is evolving and progressing day by day. Things are better in 2008, but this has been a district that has been less parent and student friendly than any other that I have seen or lived in. In my humble opinion, this incident would have been ignored a few years ago. I believe that there is increased awareness of the fact that all educators may not be adhering to policies and law. Instead of covering this up, there is increasing accountability. I hope that this sends a clear message to all adults in the district, and that those few who wish to break the rules will know that this will not be condoned.
I still would be very surprised if he is fired. I know of adminstrators and teachers in this district who have done far worse who are still on the payroll.
If it really is worse, and you are SURE it is true, you should tell a reporter. Administrators need to be held accountable for their actions. These are children.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,500,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2008 View Post
How do you know that an adult vitamin isn't harmful to one of those children. It is absolutely not up to anyone to just assume that but the parents!
I was shocked when I learned that there is not a nurse in each school which was the norm for most school districts in the Northeast. I can see that without a health professional in a school, events like these, can be regular occurances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte