Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 52,572 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm doing my homework as much as I can and I have found 2 schools in Charlotte with a bilingual (spanish) program.
Having my children in one of this programs schools is very important to me, but the more I research the more I realize that it would mean paying a 'price' for it. What I mean is that these schools (Oaklawn and Collinswood) don't seem to be the 'best' or anywhere close to that.
I would like to know about the areas where they are located and the type of population. Basically, I can read the stats about the school, but those don't tell me how 'rough' the school is.
My husband is concerned, he says our children wouldn't do good in a 'rough' enviroment. I agree. Just for clarification (if it even matters) my children are white, I am spanish speaking native although not what most would consider "hispanic", and this is why I really want my kids to be bilingual.
Can anyone tell me about this aspect of the school. What is the true price my kids would have to pay for getting a bilingual education?
Are there any other bilingual schools in Charlotte area? (I can't afford private) Are there any Charter schools that have somewhat of a bilingual program?
I'm more interested in Oaklawn (northern side of town) than Collinswood, but I'd like to hear about both if anyone has experience with them.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM

264 posts, read 854,095 times
Smith Language Academy on Tyvola Rd.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiT View Post
Smith Language Academy on Tyvola Rd.
Smith offers language immersion in Chinese, German, French, and Japanese for grades K through 8 and in Spanish for grades 6 through 8.
Maybe I should have specified that my kids will be starting K in 2009. So this wouldn't work for us, since I'm looking for Spanish immersion.
Thanks.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:41 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
The area around Oaklawn is rough. I don't know about the actual school. I'd suggest taking a visit there this week and see if you can walk the halls. Children don't do well in rough environments period.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Applying to the magnet for the upcoming school year was over in January.

Dawn

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Oaklawn or Collinswood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Applying to the magnet for the upcoming school year was over in January.
Dawn
As I mentioned in the previous post, my kids will start K in 2009.

So, can anyone make a comparison between Oaklawn and Collinswood? Or give me any insider's views on them? Since aparently those are my only 2 options as far as spanish immersion programs in Charlotte.
For what I've been reading these are the kind of schools that are in a bad area but not necesarily have a bad school population. (true?)
I'd love to hear from parents whose kids attend these schools.
Also, Does anyone know how hard it really is to get into them? i.e., openings vs. applicants. And, when is registration opening? Jan. to ?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM

46 posts, read 114,590 times
I have rising 1st grader at Collinswood. I sent u a direct msg.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,845 times
We are strongly considering a move to charlotte. I'm interested in the two Spanish immersion programs as well. My kids are in k and 2 nd, currently in a dual language program. What do you know? Are you happy with your choice? Other options? I'd hate for them to lose their Spanish! Thanks so much for any help!,

Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I know people who are very happy at Collinswood. Less so at Oaklawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: