Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Whatever happened to Copelands? Remember them, they used to have the location where Tin Tin is now. They also had a location at the University. I haven't been up there in a while. They had pretty decent "New Orleans Style Cuisine" back in the day.
Al Copeland died a year or so ago. Maybe the family tightened up the locations? He was from New Orleans and started there. As a native New Orleans person, I have never had good Cajun food anywhere but south Louisiana. I think Copeland's would have been good, based on his N.O. restaurants. But I shy away from places in NC, SC, UT, IL, etc., that label themselves "Cajun." I also don't order any "Cajun" dishes on any menu outside of south LA. Based on experience, but maybe some are getting better?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-08-2008 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Al Copeland died a year or so ago. Maybe the family tightened up the locations? He was from New Orleans and started there. As a native New Orleans person, I have never had good Cajun food anywhere but south Louisiana. I think Copeland's would have been good, based on his N.O. restaurants. But I shy away from places in NC, SC, UT, IL, etc., that label themselves "Cajun." I also don't order any "Cajun" dishes on any menu outside of south LA. Based on experience, but maybe some are getting better?

So is one to believe the only way to get good, authentic cajun food is to travel to N.O.? Much like the argument that the only way to get good wings is to go to Buffalo or get good pizza is go to NY, I think this is a bunch of hooey. Just my humble opinion though.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
I don't think SouthernBelle has been to Cajun Queen.

Going to Copelands or Razzoos for Cajun is like going to McDonald's for a good burger.

I've had the Shrimp n' Grits twice at Boudreax Louisianna Cafe in NoDa and it's excellent!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I don't think SouthernBelle has been to Cajun Queen.

Going to Copelands or Razzoos for Cajun is like going to McDonald's for a good burger.

I've had the Shrimp n' Grits twice at Boudreax Louisianna Cafe in NoDa and it's excellent!
Never been.

I did have excellant shrimp and grits at Eddie's Place, but they were labeled "shrimp and grits" not "Cajun" something. My point was, although I didn't make it well, that labeling something "Cajun" doesn't make it so.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
To answer the original question: Cajun Queen is argubably the best cajun in Charlotte. I have been many times (not so much since the Pineville locale closed) but the crawfish etouffee is outstanding!

Anther south Charlotte location for cajun I like is Cajun Yard Dog in the Arboretum. Look for coupons in the weekly clipper magazines to get a great deal. I like CYD more for lunch than dinner though.

Also, Hotel Charlotte has some great cajun dishes, although not a cajun restuarant.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 AM

23 posts, read 86,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
To answer the original question: Cajun Queen is argubably the best cajun in Charlotte. I have been many times (not so much since the Pineville locale closed) but the crawfish etouffee is outstanding!

Anther south Charlotte location for cajun I like is Cajun Yard Dog in the Arboretum. Look for coupons in the weekly clipper magazines to get a great deal. I like CYD more for lunch than dinner though.

Also, Hotel Charlotte has some great cajun dishes, although not a cajun restuarant.
Thank you.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Boudreaux's in NODA.....

Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
My family in Buffalo thinks they can't good chicken wings, pizza, beef on weck, etc until they come down here and some of it is better here.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
So is one to believe the only way to get good, authentic cajun food is to travel to N.O.? Much like the argument that the only way to get good wings is to go to Buffalo or get good pizza is go to NY, I think this is a bunch of hooey. Just my humble opinion though.
Actually, I agree with you. There have been quite a lot of threads about where to get "real" NY food of some kind or other, which I think is silly. What I object to is blackening something, throwing some red pepper on it, and calling it "Cajun." I just didn't explain myself very well.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:18 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
But I shy away from places in NC, SC, UT, IL, etc., that label themselves "Cajun." I also don't order any "Cajun" dishes on any menu outside of south LA. Based on experience, but maybe some are getting better?
Personally, as one with SouthWest LA roots, I have not found GOOD Cajun or Creole food here. A dish with shrimp or spices is not neccessarily authentic. Razooo -- Yuck.

Boudreaux in Noda is not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte