Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:55 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,065 times

Advertisements

HI,
While surfing the internet, the homepage of MSN had this article. I hope this is useful for some of you. According to Relocate-America.com, Charlotte NC has voted been voted the number one city to relocate.
Where’s the best place to live in America? - Buying a House - MSN Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
HI,
While surfing the internet, the homepage of MSN had this article. I hope this is useful for some of you. According to Relocate-America.com, Charlotte NC has voted been voted the number one city to relocate.
You know I have to say, while surfing through a similar article on msn, I found that it was also rated the 9th most miserable city to live in. Interesting that it could be on the top of one and very near the bottom on another.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:54 PM

123 posts, read 346,884 times
Having lived there for 6 years ,compared to Michigan and Florida I would for sure vote Charlotte way up there. Housing was quite low priced. My nursing salary was comparable to most other States. Weather outstanding. 3-4 hrs to beach or mountains. I did not have need to use the public school ther but did hear good and bad. Magnet schools very good. Smaller outlying schools not so good. People vERY friendly even though I had to get used to "Ya'll , I made some super friends.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Post News, Where’s the best place to live in America?

Charlotte, N.C., leads Relocate-America.com’s annual ranking of the top 100 cities.

Apparently, there's just something about North Carolina. For the second year in a row, America's best city in which to live lies within its borders, according to Relocate-America.com's annual list.

This year, Charlotte is in the top spot, the site announced late last week. Last year's winner was Asheville, which slipped to No. 7 on this year's list.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 AM

8,955 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We don't think Charlotte should be ranked at #1 and we live here! Shoot, people who live in (and can afford) Southern California would most likely rank it as #1!. People who love snow and mountain/outdoors stuff and live in the Denver, CO area would rank it #1!
In fact in the summer of 2006, Parker, CO (where we use to live) was ranked a "#1 city to live in" and, compared to Charlotte, Parker literally had NO crime, no traffic and was a very nice area to live in...........except for the winter snow that ended up making us move.
Charlotte is nice, but "come on".......#1= jobs, traffic and crime?????????

Old 05-18-2008, 10:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
There were a couple of rankings last week. Charlotte was #1 for preferred places to relocate. That is easy to see with 50K moving to the area every year. That is quite phonominal. It was ranked # 8 in USA Magazine for best cities that compared different criteria such as economy, sports, crime, entertainment, transportation, etc. As someone had noted, with the developing of the light rail system, the facilitating of much needed office space downtown and everyday addition of entertainment venues, Charlotte will likely even get better ratings. It seems that many are under the perception that Charlotte crime should hold down the rankings. But, remember, Charlotte was recently ranked number 30 something in dangerous cities. That isn't bad considering that Charlotte is in the top 20, largest cities. It isn't good, but it could be lots worse. Traffic is bad sometimes but great for a city with a population of 2.3 million in the metro. and if you had everl lived in other large cities, you would see that. And , as far as jobs, when you are number #1 in the nation for relocation, there is an over influx of people moving here. It would tend to mean that there are simply too many people coming here than there are jobs to offer. It puts forth a false image of a poor economy. Simply not true.

The last time I was in Charlotte, my waiter was explaining how disappointed he was that he had move to Charlotte from NYC. Not only did he come to town expecting companies to jump right on him, but he came with his wife, brother, sister, and friends, non of whom had a job. He is lucky to have a fairly good waiter job. Nevertheless, the economy on a comparitive basis is very strong and, oh yes!, Charlotte is one of the cities that is the most recession proof. The others include Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Seattle, and Raleigh.

Looking good Charlotte!!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We don't think Charlotte should be ranked at #1 and we live here! Shoot, people who live in (and can afford) Southern California would most likely rank it as #1!. People who love snow and mountain/outdoors stuff and live in the Denver, CO area would rank it #1!
In fact in the summer of 2006, Parker, CO (where we use to live) was ranked a "#1 city to live in" and, compared to Charlotte, Parker literally had NO crime, no traffic and was a very nice area to live in...........except for the winter snow that ended up making us move.
Charlotte is nice, but "come on".......#1= jobs, traffic and crime?????????
Most of the rankings are based on cities in certain size categories. I am sure that Parker is a great place as is my town here in Florida. Yet, it makes no sense to rank either one as number one as both cities would be in a size category with cities of similar size which would likely inclue over 10 thousand other cities.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 188,525 times
Not sure if this is same link, it is late and I am lazy

http://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Art...8469&GT1=35000 (broken link)

*apologies*

Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post
Not sure if this is same link, it is late and I am lazy

http://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Art...8469&GT1=35000 (broken link)

*apologies*
If 1 pm in the afternoon is "late", you must have had quite a night last night, LOL!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:20 AM

57 posts, read 188,525 times
Ooops sorry it's 9.22pm where I am and yes I am of an age where THAT is late

*i'll leave the zimmer frame at the door*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte