Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This will be a trend for a good while for Charlotte region to become more diversified with Europeans, Canadians, Aussies etc since the dollar is so weak . Properties in North Carolina and Charlotte probably look like a dollar store to them.
Yep - I heard a report on CNN this past weekend - that Europeans and Aussies were finding our east coast a "bargain store" for property, and they are buying up Florida, and moving up the coast to GA, SC and NC, as well. Interestingly, there is also interest from the Japanese, wh/ I had not thought about!!! (But they did not clarify if this was west coast or east coast property the Japanese are buying).

If the dollar stays this weak (and why won't it) I am sure we will see more international buyers here in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Gotta watch what you say about areas where people like to live....bandibadji told you good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsisko View Post
This attitude is what you will mostly find in the Lake Norman area; Waspy, "I want my way", "It's all about me" way of thinking. I find nothing of interest up there. Water don't excite me, and there's really not much to do if your not into water.

No place is completely safe in the Charlotte Metro area. Even south Charlotte, where all the new money is, have had to deal with break-ins. Even old money Myers Park, about as rich and white as you can get in this city, had a serial rapist a year ago. You want diversity? Great. I would suggest University City (I can hear the suburbinites in Hutersville and Davidson now "oh, it's so much crime!" to that I say, stop watching the news and come and see how progressive, cultured and entertaining the area is for yourself, instead of believing everything News 9 says), or the Southwest corner of the county around Steel Creek and Pineville is just as good.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 AM

Listen, there are just folks that don't want to live somewhere where they hear a police helocopter overhead a couple of times a week or gun shots a couple of times a week. And, it is just FACT that parts of Charlotte are "overrun" by crime. Not like the Wild West......hummmm, how about when there is a gang shooting going on and the guns come out "blazing" from gang members with a "drive by" shooting. That's enough for me to think about the old Wild West and stay out of the area!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It's just silly when people hear about a few crimes somewhere and then write off the whole neighborhood as "dangerous" and "life-threatening." There really aren't many areas of Charlotte that are that way. Yes, University has some crime, but nobody should be scared to go there. It's not like the Wild West or South Bronx of the '80s or something. Sometimes suburbanites and others get carried away with their visions of crime-infested neighborhoods, and I think the media play into that.

I sold a car to a guy from Lake Norman and he wouldn't go south of Mallard Creek Church Road to my then apartment complex at JW Clay and N. Tryon. I had to meet the guy in a parking lot. How ridiculous!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:09 PM

197 posts, read 668,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!!" Some people just DEMAND that you like what they like and if you don't you're............!!
...Anyways, if you don't feel that the demographic data is offering enough information, one good way to get to know the neighbors is to visit the retailers where locals do their shopping IE Home Depot, the grocery stores, big box retailer if available. Spend sometime in the area, that way you could get a closer look and feel if is that is the right place for you.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It's just silly when people hear about a few crimes somewhere and then write off the whole neighborhood as "dangerous" and "life-threatening." There really aren't many areas of Charlotte that are that way. Yes, University has some crime, but nobody should be scared to go there. It's not like the Wild West or South Bronx of the '80s or something. Sometimes suburbanites and others get carried away with their visions of crime-infested neighborhoods, and I think the media play into that.

I sold a car to a guy from Lake Norman and he wouldn't go south of Mallard Creek Church Road to my then apartment complex at JW Clay and N. Tryon. I had to meet the guy in a parking lot. How ridiculous!
I agree that the crime is terrible in Charlotte to someone that has not lived in other large cities and made a comparison. People should listen to the news and realize that crime can happen anywhere. One should always remain vigil but not obsess. Common sense is the big thing. I don't ever worry about crime, but I am ready for it if it occurs. I watch where I walk and avoid those iffy areas. I do this no matter where I go. If someone watches the news regularly and sees murders and gang activity going on, it would be prudent to keep away from that area. That is where the news comes in handy. I feel that University City is probably O.K. in most of the area. It certainly has some good places to eat, drink, etc. But, I would certainly look behind me when walking at night more than I would walking around a lake town.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep - I heard a report on CNN this past weekend - that Europeans and Aussies were finding our east coast a "bargain store" for property, and they are buying up Florida, and moving up the coast to GA, SC and NC, as well. Interestingly, there is also interest from the Japanese, wh/ I had not thought about!!! (But they did not clarify if this was west coast or east coast property the Japanese are buying).

If the dollar stays this weak (and why won't it) I am sure we will see more international buyers here in NC.
A couple of years ago when visiting North Myrtle Beach, I ran into a group of Englishmen that visited Myrtle Beach about 10 years before bought condos and moved there. Having lived in England for many years myself, we discussed how cheap it used to be in Spain 25-30 years ago and one could buy a cottage in Spain at that time for very little. Prices have risen quite a bit in Spain recently. These days, costal U.S. land is a bargin as Spain was before. The U.S. is a great bargin for Europeans and other foreigners. They have the money to spend since our dollar is currently weak. I'm glad to see them come. Unlike the Canadians, they don't steal the salt shakers, ketchup containers, and the sweet and low. LOL.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 PM

In response to the question asking if anyone has experienced situations as a minority (Remedy 4's posting), I will provide a brief story of one of my experiences.

When in the military, I worked in a unit where I and a Mexican female military member were the only non-blacks. It was horrible and I had never experienced such blatant racism in my life. We were left to work the worse shifts so that our supervisor and his friends could screw around in the enlisted club. They would go to lunch and stay for hours leaving us to work. We had to work unreal overtime hours to complete the day's mission since we had so little assistance from the others. I eventually went to the Inspector General with documentation and proof of what had been the status quo in the unit concerning the working situation. He had an investigation conducted and varified my allegations and transferred me and my coworker to another unit. Action was taken against the NCOs and others that had neglected their duties and descrimination against us. Unfortunately the descrimination thing wasn't pursued. It was still an area where only whites could be held accountable for descrimination. All of this ended up being a great thing for me. Since it wasn't an isolated incident and I had experienced and witnessed similar situations, I was motivated to finish my college, become an officer, and never work for idiots like that again. It paid off. Descrimination isn't a one sided situation like many inexperienced and ideological people think. It is time that people stop worrying about quotas, diversity, and other such factors. It is a free world. People that are good workers should be promoted. The most qualified person should be hired. And, people should live wherever and with whomever one choses without be ridiculed or labeled. To this day, I live by the code that everyone should be treated the same and special privileges should only be for those that are mentally or physically incompetent.

Last edited by vindaloo; 07-15-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM

15 posts, read 78,481 times
Quote:
Not everyone wants to live in a totally "diverse" area. When we lived in an apartment in Colorado, we had a family from India living behind us. The family wasn't that friendly (don't know why), but when they cooked their "home-land" type food, the odor (very, very, VERY spicey) would come under our door and almost make us sick. Perhaps they felt the same way when we cooked our American foods. The only type of foreign food we do like is Chinese.
Anyway, we aren't against "diversity" at all, but just choose to live in an area where there is less of it.
When you say they were not friendly -- did they fight with you ?.
If they did not say Hi to you - that might be a exception you faced. I face it too ( Not with Indians )

Yes -- Indians do like their food spicy and I see a general trend people liking spicy food.

Just FYI -- you can easily get rid of the smell by putting a kitchen vent that vents out. And there is a airwick scent which you can use.

I don't think it is right to generalize.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Not like the Wild West......hummmm, how about when there is a gang shooting going on and the guns come out "blazing" from gang members with a "drive by" shooting. That's enough for me to think about the old Wild West and stay out of the area!!!
What areas are you talking about? You implied the University area with that, and that's just not true. If there's a gang shooting on one block once or twice in a year, it doesn't make the entire 5-mile radius around it suspect.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 AM

Sorry, I (we/wife & I) absolutely see no problem in "generalizing" or "judging" people. That is just the way we are!! There are a lot of people in society that do the same, but they keep it to themselves and don't verbalize it. As for me, I "say it the way I see it"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njreddy View Post
When you say they were not friendly -- did they fight with you ?.
If they did not say Hi to you - that might be a exception you faced. I face it too ( Not with Indians )

Yes -- Indians do like their food spicy and I see a general trend people liking spicy food.

Just FYI -- you can easily get rid of the smell by putting a kitchen vent that vents out. And there is a airwick scent which you can use.

I don't think it is right to generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte