Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM

46 posts, read 243,145 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Charlotte to be back on the east coast and closer to family in NY and FL (we are currently in Texas). We are both retired (60 and 65) but don't want a retirement community. We want to be close to doctors, hospitals, shopping and within 30 minutes of a decent sized airport (I don't fly on putt-putts).

Is it possible to find something meeting those specs that has 3 br, 2 bath, is one story less than 10 years old and less than $250k?

Any areas of Charlotte you recommend over another? Obviously schools are not a concern.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 26,775 times
Out near Ballantyne, you could probably get something brand new in that price range and with those specs. Plenty of shopping, dining, doctors and hospitals all within a 5 mile range from there. Airport is a quick jaunt around I-485 from there except duirng rush hour, when it may as well be one long parking lot. So long as you don't mind total suburbia and urban sprawl, you definitely get more for your money out there than inside 485. Now if you want to be close to culture...museums, theatre, etc...that is an entirely different story. Look in-town and make sure you have a Realtor you can trust to put you in a nice safe area.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks gromoe. It doesn't necessarily have to be brand new (in fact we prefer it not be). Any particular subdivisions or areas you recommmend out that way? How far is that to Charlotte and culture, etc.?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,509 times
Just over the border in SC might be a better option for retired folks. That is atleast what I heard and not what I know to be fact. I've heard the tax advantages are better. I'm sure others will expand upon that information.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to Charlotte to be back on the east coast and closer to family in NY and FL (we are currently in Texas). We are both retired (60 and 65) but don't want a retirement community. We want to be close to doctors, hospitals, shopping and within 30 minutes of a decent sized airport (I don't fly on putt-putts).

Is it possible to find something meeting those specs that has 3 br, 2 bath, is one story less than 10 years old and less than $250k?

Any areas of Charlotte you recommend over another? Obviously schools are not a concern.

Thanks for your help.
You will many options in your price range. On the south side of town (which will meet your criteria) consider Langston, Southampton, Southbrook...in SC, Waterstone, Palmetto West, Cobblestone, Legacy Park for starters.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:02 AM

Unfortunately in doing my research, air fare from Greenville is out of site compared with Charlotte so we will probably focus more on the Charlotte area but thanks for your recommendation.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
Unfortunately in doing my research, air fare from Greenville is out of site compared with Charlotte so we will probably focus more on the Charlotte area but thanks for your recommendation.
Hey there lollibay - I think the first development on south.charlotte&union's list may have confused you (Langston)....while there is another in Greenville....the one SC&U has suggested to you is actually in Charlotte, along with some of the others that are just outside of Charlotte (Fort Mill, SC - Indian Land, SC, etc.)

You may also be interested in Tega Cay, SC as well (City of Tega Cay)

Good Luck with your search!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Just over the border in SC might be a better option for retired folks. That is atleast what I heard and not what I know to be fact. I've heard the tax advantages are better. I'm sure others will expand upon that information.
I agree. Take a look at Indian Trail in Lancaster County. There are some huge adult communities being built right now that are beautiful and reasonably priced because the school district has mixed reviews.... and it's down the road from Ballantyne, so you'll have quick access to shopping, hospitals, airport, etc...

Last edited by MommyV; 07-16-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
Brand new homes in Huntersville in that price point

Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
I think Tega Cay on the south side would be great, just over the border in SC and on the lake. If you like Lakes, Huntersville is also good. As ong as you don't gon the East side (which I don't recommend anyway) you will be within 30 to 45 minutes Charlotte International Airport. Huntersville and specifically the Birkdale area is close to hospitals, shopping, food, a major freeway, golf, etc. It is 25 minutes from Uptown Charlotte where most of the "culture" is. Tega offers nearly the same on the south side. Ballentyne is also decent, but you lose a little of the lake and smaller community feel of Huntersville and Tega. So many subdivisions would work for you. I just help my friends pick out a great house for $225, that was 1800 sq feet and 3 years old. Not much of a yard, but I know in my 60's I don't I want much of a yard. Heck I don't think I want one now sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte