Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM

12 posts, read 92,825 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am trying to plan my move from NYC to Charlotte. I am planning to move next June. I have two kids ages 7 and 4. I am also a Special Education Teacher. Does any one have any advice what I should do from now till June 09. I know I have to put my condo on the market. I am in process taking the Praxis Exam and applying for my teaching license over to NC and SC (Rock Hill School District). I also spoke to my kids pediatrician and my doctor about our big move. I even have the New Home Guide Magazine. I am also making a trip to Charlotte with my kids in August. Our family is there so that is a plus. I heard North Charlotte is really nice. I am also trying to decide between a townhouse or a patio house. Any checklist or suggestions. Looking for a lot of guidance and advice.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,328 times
I live in the North Charlotte area. Depending on where you will be teaching - assuming you will be looking for a teaching job - I would try to stay close to that location. There is a new middle school opening next school year I think?? (Ridge Road - near Highland Creek), and a new HS opened last year, Highland Creek Elementary opened a couple years ago, and I think another one is due to start construction. I commend you on your career choice, Special Ed (EC Teachers), CMS (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools) seems to always be looking for them. We love this area, been here 10 years, originally from Northern Virginia. We love more of the city life, having stores and restaurants close by, not having to drive 10-15 minutes. There is alot of construction going on, depending on your budget you may be able to buy a nice single family home. Wide price range in this area (North Charlotte, University, Mallard Creek) from $130K-$500K and higher. Since your children are young, I would make sure you look at the schools closely, be sure to check the "free and reduced lunch" stats. If that number is higher than say.....30-40%, I would see what other schools are in the area your interested in. Do a google search on CMS schools, Charlotte North Carolina, you should come up with many websites. The crime has gotten higher, but they have put more officers up here, and as in anywhere you must be diligent and aware of your surroundings. We have two dogs, so they are our deterent to keeping away potential robbers. You should get more people's input via this forum, but the more information you provide (price range, job, commute, activites) the better information you'll get. I've heard alot of great things about Fort Mill also, cheaper in every way, and the area is growing. That may be another are you should explore. Oh, and you won't be alone down here, lots and lots of people are from NY. Good Luck!!

Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 92,825 times
Thanks. This was very helpful Looking forward to moving to Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: