Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times

Advertisements

Good Luck to all the job seekers that look on here. And to the veteran teachers who post here. In my opinion, there is no reason for me to willingly accept a job in a school/neighborhood I wouldn't feel safe in. However, they can get new comers who don't know this information and then it's a bit crazy. Especially in the first years. Title 1 schools are under immense pressure to produce test scores for No Child Left Behind because their students are more at risk for failure, then at a regular elementary school.

I totally agree with your wife standing up for herself and declining. I'm sure the other districts would be waiting at the county line to hire your wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanryboy View Post
My wife has seven years of teaching experience, and you're right, she was the last hired. She was clearly better than the other teachers she taught with, but seniority rules....
Sad isn't it.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 12,042 times
This is a question for anybody...which schools are in unsafe neighborhoods? I'm still getting to know my way around Charlotte

Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I know several CMS teachers and have been told the new teacher support isn't so great. Everythings glossy and pretty to get you in, then your thrown to the wolves.
I do not beleive any school system helps with relocation assistance, unless your a superintendent or something high level. Also, make sure you start working on getting your NC Teaching LIcense, this is the first stepping stone to working in NC.

Welcome and I hope you have a great time here!
Can you explain "thrown to the wolves"...I've had a decent recruiting process, just wondering what to expect from here. I have taught before, just in a much smaller system. I'd like to know not only the bad, but any of the good about CMS too.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I know several CMS teachers and have been told the new teacher support isn't so great. Everythings glossy and pretty to get you in, then your thrown to the wolves.
I do not beleive any school system helps with relocation assistance, unless your a superintendent or something high level. Also, make sure you start working on getting your NC Teaching LIcense, this is the first stepping stone to working in NC.

Welcome and I hope you have a great time here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanryboy View Post
My wife teaches in the CMS system, and says, "Good luck." Her experience has not been that good. They actually displaced her, and tried to put her in one of the worst schools in the system, almost giving her no choice. When she threatened to bail to another system, she was reassigned to a better school. The CMS system is full of problems. I would try York County, SC or Cabarrus County schools.
What is displacement? Why was your wife displaced? Does that only happen to teachers new to the system, or also onces that are already in the system?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 20,193 times
The county over hired at particular schools based upon projected numbers and on the 10th or 20th day count they readjust their numbers by displacing teachers to schools who's numbers were low.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Ok, your first day in CMS, when you walk into your class, DO NOT say it is your first year at the school. If you do, the students will start cheering, get up and hit the crip walk, and "get crunk". Good luck.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr1243 View Post
The county over hired at particular schools based upon projected numbers and on the 10th or 20th day count they readjust their numbers by displacing teachers to schools who's numbers were low.
And before as they displaced many just 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 AM

8 posts, read 18,636 times
I came from a very large school district in Florida to CMS this past school year. Dealing with the county was a very different experience from the one I'd had. I actually "lost" my job this summer when some paperwork was misplaced and I was dropped from the system! Had to make a few frantic phone calls to Employee Relations, but everything was fixed in a day, so I was satisfied.

I sort of feel like I had the experience other posters have described. I had to say "No, I don't know anything about that" more often than I would have liked. Some people assume CMS does things the way every other school district does, and that's simply not the case. I hope you find yourself dealing with people who don't have that attitude.

Be sure to get your experience paperwork to Raleigh ASAP. Until that is confirmed, you'll get paid like a first year teacher, and you'll be part of the induction program. Normally, I would say that being mentored wouldn't be a bad thing, being new to the school district and all, but your experience is going to depend on the quality of your school's efforts and those of your mentor. Having your NC license is helpful, but I don't have mine yet (have to take the PRAXIS) and it hasn't been a problem.

Overall, I like working for CMS. There's room for improvement, but I'm extremely happy with my school and position, and that's what matters to me.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 18,636 times
Also, re your question about relocation assistance: If you go on the CMS website, it says you can email and receive the relocation packet. I did this twice after getting hired and got no response. Once you get your email address, you can go on the intranet and see the discounts that are available to you, but that may come too late for you. Looking on the page right now, it seems that most of the apartment discounts are related to waiving the securit deposit if you have good credit. Camden, Colonial Grand and Bexley are 3 of the larger apartment management firms around Charlotte, and that's what they're offering. Some other complexes are offering $50 off the monthly rent. Don't know what your needs are, so it's hard to say what's available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte