Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new BestBuy opening in Blakeney?
Love the idea! We need more big box retailers in this area. 33 70.21%
Hate it! This will cause all kinds of traffic problems. 6 12.77%
Not sure. 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times

Advertisements

Yet another big box retailer is coming to Blakeney.
The new Best Buy and Petco will be opening soon.
I'm curious how people, especially those living within a three-mile radius, feel about the addition to the community.
Please answer the poll and add a comment below.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,057 times
I'm sure it will be very convenient for all those who live in the northern Union County area. However, it does seem that these stores are making things rather anonymous. I know that's what comes to anchor shopping centers, but you could really be anywhere in the country. Don't get me wrong, I love and use Stonecrest and Blakeney all the time. I just like the variety of independent stores you find closer to town.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I'm sure it will be very convenient for all those who live in the northern Union County area. However, it does seem that these stores are making things rather anonymous. I know that's what comes to anchor shopping centers, but you could really be anywhere in the country. Don't get me wrong, I love and use Stonecrest and Blakeney all the time. I just like the variety of independent stores you find closer to town.
Exactly! I really feel for those Mom-and-Pop retailers, when the "big giants" move in. It does give it a more cookie-cutter-homogenized feel. I wonder how the ACE Hardware store feels about that HUUUGE Lowe's moving in on Providence Road, in the Cureton area.
Can't imagine what would have happened if Walmart won the lawsuit over the Tom Short Rd/Rea Rd. location!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Passed it for the first time to day and was so disappointed to see it! The location in such a nice residental area and this store sticks out like a sore thumb if you ask me. It should have been located on the other side of the road in the shopping center.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
I will try to be nice here, but we had a very negative experience with ACE hardware and haven't been back in 2 years.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Exactly! I really feel for those Mom-and-Pop retailers, when the "big giants" move in. It does give it a more cookie-cutter-homogenized feel. I wonder how the ACE Hardware store feels about that HUUUGE Lowe's moving in on Providence Road, in the Cureton area.
Can't imagine what would have happened if Walmart won the lawsuit over the Tom Short Rd/Rea Rd. location!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM

285 posts, read 1,071,936 times
I used to live in those townhomes right nextdoor to the BestBuy/Petsmart area so I am glad I don't live there now. But I moved about a mile away so I will see it and use Petsmart. I don't think it will cause problems with a traffic jam as they will have a light exclusively for them. It is on a dead end street.

However I stopped going to Best Buy years ago and refuse to use them. So that to me is a "not sure". I wish it was a HH Gregg or Circuit City instead!

And what is this Rea Road and Tom Short with Walmart? Whatever it was, boy am I glad they lost!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,805 times
Big box stores are what Charlotte is all about.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
Its a part of growth, not much one can do..dont love the idea but dont hate it either...there are pro's and con's to all

Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 PM

285 posts, read 1,071,936 times
I was googling online to see about what was the Walmart lawsuit when I came across this little gem of an article.

Wal-Mart eyes new vendor store; targets upscale Charlotte Mall for second unit - North Carolina | Discount Store News | Find Articles at BNET

Funny the wording in it and blast from the past. I wonder if it's still the most profitable store in its chain....

Old 07-31-2008, 07:24 PM

25 posts, read 86,165 times
Those in Blakeney who are complaining now are sort of like those who live by the airport...you knew it was coming (or there) when you bought the home, didn't you? Just like the Ardrey Kell corridor -- there's tons of stuff coming in and you don't really have control over what it is. If you want more assurance you won't be next to a new big box store, buy in an established, in-town neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte