Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 11,609 times

Advertisements

I'm in NYC and looking at Charlotte. This is in the early stages. I need to plan my get away in detail, but am at a loss as to where to begin. After a year in a neighborhood that was so-so at best I really want to live in a place I can feel safe and in an apartment that is not run down.

I've been to Charlotte a few times but am unsure of what neighborhoods are condusive to nice living. Frankly, I don't want to live out in the boonies because the work will be in the city.

Me, well I am a white guy, clean cut, mid 30's and I love movies, my HDTV (but not via satellite), crave Vietnamese and Japanese food, am an avid comic book reader (and I know of Heroes Comic shops so it would be nice to be near it) have two cats, like to exercise (primarily running) and am not into dancing or parties.

Noise turns me off. Ugh.

So that is me. Now the question is, what part of Charlotte is good for a guy like that?

And how is the job situation. That worries me as what I do here likely won't be easy to find in Charlotte and if I did find it, would probably pay very little. But I just have to get out of NYC. I don't like it anymore, despite the easy access to varieties of food and culture. The winters suck, the parking situation is hell and I am tired of being surrounded by filth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

195 posts, read 538,728 times
What did you like about Charlotte? And how much are you looking to spend?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM

What I want to spend is I don't know because of the job situation. I pay $1250 right now for a one bedroom, but what I can make down in Charlotte will likely mean i have to pay much less. I need to do more research on the job front, I think.

Charlotte is the only part of the state of NC that felt like what I am used to in regards to how a place should be (I lived in CT most of my life). My family moved to New Bern and I despised it there.

My reasons for moving to Charlotte are complicated, but if I leave NYC that is where i have to go, so i need to figure out where exactly are the best palces to settle.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM

195 posts, read 538,728 times
Hum- Well Charlotte is huge and you have a lot of options. I asked what you liked about to to get a better feel for the type of neighborhood you would like to live in.
Not sure we have much to go on.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM

It's hard to get too specific yet, since this is likely not going to happen until Spring of next year. My biggest thing at this point is to find out where the crime is and where will I fit in. Right now I live in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn and being a tall white guy I stick out quite a bit and deal with daily racial animosity. Some don't don't like white people here and they let me know that. Needless to say, it's a terrible feeling when you realize that it may not matter if you are not a racist, others are and there isn't jack you can do about it.

I love Asian food, so I want to be near Japanese and Korean and Thai restaurants. Chinese food doesn't count. Not into it at all.

No way do I want to be around blaring rap music and hip hop.

Charlotte's center was incredibly clean and new compared to the old dirt of NYC. The apartment buildings I saw while driving around were a heck of a lot nicer, for sure. In visiting friends in New Bern and surrounding cities, the apartments were much bigger, cleaner and nicer than what can be found in NYC and at a fraction of the price.

But I just don't know what my price range is going to be because I don't know if I am going to be making 30k when I get there or 40k or more. There may be a career change afoot. If I can swing a two bedroom, I will.

So it comes down to this... What are the areas to avoid. The areas where a guy like me will not fit in? What areas are considered ghetto, which I understand is hard to see from just looking since those areas look normal at a glance.

And can realtors stop spamming me via PM? I'm not looking to buy right away. Should I like the city and decide to stay, then I'll go for buying a place.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 AM

85 posts, read 193,837 times
areas to avoid. most of west charlotte and parts of east charlotte. you might want to check out noda or plaza-midwood. these are funky neighborhoods not far from uptown.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM

By the way, I just got a hate PM that really shocked me. Some how some person thinks I am a racist because of my post above. This is ludricrous. Were I a racist I would not have moved to the area I currently live, nor would I be in business with people I am currently working with. What I was shocked to find is that there is a lot of anti-white feeling in the black communities here and after dealing with some dangerous situations and constantly being called 'Whitey' and bothered when I walk the street, do not want to ever put myself in that situation again. It's truly disheartening to say this, but it is what it is and I am not going to sugar coat it to be PC.

Anyone who cannot understand that, well, I feel sorry for you.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewriter View Post
By the way, I just got a hate PM that really shocked me. Some how some person thinks I am a racist because of my post above. This is ludricrous. Were I a racist I would not have moved to the area I currently live, nor would I be in business with people I am currently working with. What I was shocked to find is that there is a lot of anti-white feeling in the black communities here and after dealing with some dangerous situations and constantly being called 'Whitey' and bothered when I walk the street, do not want to ever put myself in that situation again. It's truly disheartening to say this, but it is what it is and I am not going to sugar coat it to be PC.

Anyone who cannot understand that, well, I feel sorry for you.
Sorry to hear you got an ugly dm Go ahead and report it if you think it was out of line (use the report button).

The thing about Charlotte is that there are more good areas than bad - you won't have much trouble avoiding any bad ones if you can pay at least $800 a month in rent for an apartment, or $1200. a month for a home. Under that you have to know where to look. But until you are really ready to make a move it would be hard for any of us to recommend very specific complexes for you. For instance, depending on where you might work our suggestions could vary. When you know more we can probably tell you a whole lot more In general, since you THINK you might be in uptown Charlotte, I'd suggest you investigate the South Park area and Dilworth or Cotswold neighborhoods.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 PM

630 posts, read 1,878,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewriter View Post
I love Asian food, so I want to be near Japanese and Korean and Thai restaurants. Chinese food doesn't count. Not into it at all.
Of all the things Charlotte does have, I wouldn't say we're renowned for our Asian Cuisine, especially non Chinese. We are working on it though.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM

85 posts, read 193,837 times
i would say charlotte has some good viatnemese food, just chinese food is one area where we are kind of lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: