Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:57 PM

63 posts, read 141,453 times

Advertisements

My family and I may be moving back to Michigan after Christmas and it looks like I'll be driving a 20'+ truck w/ car tow dolly behind it. I don't have experience driving a moving truck through the mountains especially with my car in tow behind me, and I can't afford to have someone else drive the stuff up for us.

That being said, I am trying to find a route that avoids or has the least amount of mountainous terrain possible. One idea I had was to drive from Charlotte to Atlanta and then up to Knoxville. I don't recall if I would hit any mountain terrain on I75 north from Atlanta. We used to travel that way when I was a kid on our way to Florida but that was decades ago.

Basically, I have travelled I77 N to I80 and I do not want to attempt that route especially if the roads may be bad. I've travelled I40 west to knoxville/chattanooga a few years back and it did not seem to bad, but that was in the spring.

I want as easy of a drive as I can manage while holding up as little traffic as I can. My family and I plan to stop around knoxville or so for the night and then make the rest of the trek the next day.

Any suggestions would be great. We're probably going to move on December 26th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattt View Post
My family and I may be moving back to Michigan after Christmas and it looks like I'll be driving a 20'+ truck w/ car tow dolly behind it. I don't have experience driving a moving truck through the mountains especially with my car in tow behind me, and I can't afford to have someone else drive the stuff up for us.

That being said, I am trying to find a route that avoids or has the least amount of mountainous terrain possible. One idea I had was to drive from Charlotte to Atlanta and then up to Knoxville. I don't recall if I would hit any mountain terrain on I75 north from Atlanta. We used to travel that way when I was a kid on our way to Florida but that was decades ago.

Basically, I have travelled I77 N to I80 and I do not want to attempt that route especially if the roads may be bad. I've travelled I40 west to knoxville/chattanooga a few years back and it did not seem to bad, but that was in the spring.

I want as easy of a drive as I can manage while holding up as little traffic as I can. My family and I plan to stop around knoxville or so for the night and then make the rest of the trek the next day.

Any suggestions would be great. We're probably going to move on December 26th.
From Chattanooga, you could then take 24 through Nashville, 65 to Louisville, then 71 to Cincy, where you could hook back up with 75. I did it once to avoid a blizzard in the WV mountains that had 77 closed.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 PM

Interesting. It doesn't add much to the trip too. Seems that it'll be about 15 hours total. Is 75 pretty mountainous from ATL to Chattanooga or even Knoxville though?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Interesting. It doesn't add much to the trip too. Seems that it'll be about 15 hours total. Is 75 pretty mountainous from ATL to Chattanooga or even Knoxville though?
It's hilly from ATL to Chattanooga. I wouldn't say mountainous. The mountains do get a bit larger on the Chattanooga to Knoxville stretch and then you'd have to go through some hilly parts of Kentucky, too.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM

I just don't want anything like I77.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I just don't want anything like I77.
Yeah. you would avoid anything like that going through Nashville and around. I can't say that about going through Knoxville. Not as familiar with that area.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:46 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Knoxville is hilly. To go around the world to avoid mountains out of Atlanta take I-20 to Birmingham. Then I-65 to Nashville and just keep going North.

We pulled an RV and motorcycles to Arkansas and I was a basket case going over the mountains, up up up and down down down. We returned the long way on the edge of Texas/Louisiana border and then to I-20 straight to Atlanta and I-85 home. It was a longer drive but a more peaceful ride. LOL

Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the input all. It sounds like either the Nashville route or Knoxville won't be too bad. I'm hoping for not to many steep grades, but don't mind rolling hilly style driving. 77 through West Virginia is pretty much hours of winding up or down and it gets old fast.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
good luck with the move back! (we moved down from Michigan almost 3 years ago)

Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input all. It sounds like either the Nashville route or Knoxville won't be too bad. I'm hoping for not to many steep grades, but don't mind rolling hilly style driving. 77 through West Virginia is pretty much hours of winding up or down and it gets old fast.
I hear that. And people go 75 or more the entire time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte