Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,979 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am coming to Charlotte for the first time from India. I am planning to buy electronic items like Laptop, Mobiles & many more items.

So, I want to know that will I be benefited if I buy those items from Charlotte instead from India.

I have heard that electronic items like laptop,mobiles etc are available in Charlotte at 50% of the price than what it is available in india. Is it true?

If yes, then from which market I can get this items at Charlotte.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,479 times
You might want to go on some websites like Best Buy.com WalMart.com and other American stores and look at prices and compare them to Indian prices and factor in the customs and tax cost for you when you return. You can also post some of the items and the cost of them in India in US dollars and let's see so that we can tell. Good luck

Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
The other problem is the different electrical (power) cords, etc. Most places abroad use different electrical sources and the power cords on electronics that are here will not work there unless you also buy a transformer designed for that electronic. You have to be specific with the transformer purchase. I burned up mine while travelling to China by trying to use a hair dryer with it. It was only good for recharging things such as laptops or I-pods. So, this is a definite consideration to think about.

Also, mobile phones are very different and will not work in other countries. The only possible exception is the high-end Blackberrys. That is still doubtful.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,210,698 times
Mobiles are only cheap here if you sign up for a 2 year contract with a telephone company. Otherwise, they are pretty expensive. We don't have the concept here of buying a generic phone and then using a simm card to customize it. In fact, most of the phones for sell here are locked to specific to the carrier and won't work off their system. If you are going to be here for just 30 days, then either plan to purchase a cheap pre-paid phone that you will have to dispose of once leaving, or spending a lot of money on something like an unlocked I-phone or Blackberry.

GSM and CDMA are also used here depending upon carrier so you want to make sure if you buy the expensive phone, that it will work when you return to India.

------------

Power in the USA (in fact all of North America) is universally 120v, 60Hz. Europe, Asia, India, Africa, Australia are 240v, 50Hz. Most laptops and some other electronics will automatically switch between the two if you get an appropriate adapter. Almost anything else won't work unless you buy an expensive transformer. Otherwise it is impossible to purchase 240v, 50Hz here.

-------------

Broadcast Television in the USA is 100% digital now, but it is using the ATSC standard which would be incompatible with the DVB/T standard adopted by Europe, India, etc. You probably don't want to purchase one of these to take back to India.

Last edited by lumbollo; 04-13-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Mobiles are only cheap here if you sign up for a 2 year contract with a telephone company. Otherwise, they are pretty expensive. We don't have the concept here of buying a generic phone and then using a simm card to customize it. In fact, most of the phones for sell here are locked to specific to the carrier and won't work off their system. If you are going to be here for just 30 days, then either plan to purchase a cheap pre-paid phone that you will have to dispose of once leaving, or spending a lot of money on something like an unlocked I-phone or Blackberry.

GSM and CDMA are also used here depending upon carrier so you want to make sure if you buy the expensive phone, that it will work when you return to India.

------------

Power in the USA (in fact all of North America) is universally 120v, 60Hz. Europe, Asia, India, Africa, Australia are 240v, 50Hz. Most laptops and some other electronics will automatically switch between the two if you get an appropriate adapter. Almost anything else won't work unless you buy an expensive transformer. Otherwise it is impossible to purchase 240v, 50Hz here.

-------------

Broadcast Television in the USA is 100% digital now, but it is using the ATSC standard which would be incompatible with the DVB/T standard adopted by Europe, India, etc. You probably don't want to purchase one of these to take back to India.

Good points. Cannot believe that I lived overseas and totally forgot about that. But living on a military installation one tends to forget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: