Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,478 times

Advertisements

My husbands job is moving us to the Charlotte area. We will rent or lease a home. We have two children 11 years and 21 months. I found one I really like, it is in the Steele Creek area. My daughter dances and there seams to be alot of dance sutdios within a 15 mi radius. My husbands job will be in the Indian Land, Fort Mill area. I think it would be a short commute. Any information on dance studios or if this is a safe area for a family would be great. Also information on the Northwest School for the arts. We are moving from Phoenix and I have never been to Charlotte. Thank you every one, in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,662 times
Steele creek area has been cleaned up pretty recently...it used to not be as desirable place to live but now in Berewick there is plans to build a new shopping center and police have focused on that area so it is pretty safe now. The school district is average from what I hear, they just built a new elementary school and say that there is future plans for a high school...

Ft. Mill/Indian Land isn't too far away which is nice....I don't think it's a bad area for you to move. It's quiet over there from what I hear and yet you still have access to things like dance studios and shopping within a short drive. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
If work is in Indian Land / Fort Mill, why not live there?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If work is in Indian Land / Fort Mill, why not live there?
Bingo! Ft. Mill schools are quite good, too.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
I am also looking at a house in Fort Mill this weekend. The rent seams to be a little higher in that area. I really want the most for my money as long as it is safe. We are looking for something from 1000 to 1600 a month would prefer to be at about 1300, and 4 bedrooms. Also if I chose the home in Fort Mill my daughter could not go to the North West School of the Arts, from what I understnd you have to live in a certain county. I appreciate every ones respones! I can't wait to move every one seams so friendly.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Hi! I live in Steele Creek, specifically Berewick, and I love it here! It is so much less crowded than ever-popular S.Charlotte, and the people are more down to earth. It's convenient to all of Charlotte, and traffic is much less of a headache both on this side of town and from this side of town toward other places in the city. You would be about 20 minutes from Indian Land. I also feel very safe here. I'm not sure what AmandaEve means about it being recently "cleaned up". Steele Creek has never been a hotbed of crime. It's just recently turned from being more rural to being developed. There are several new neighborhoods and shopping centers nearby. She was correct about the new Berewick Elementary School, which I have heard wonderful things about from neighbors.

If I can answer any specific questions for you, please ask here or feel free to send me a DM. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Steele creek area has been cleaned up pretty recently...it used to not be as desirable place to live but now in Berewick there is plans to build a new shopping center and police have focused on that area so it is pretty safe now. The school district is average from what I hear, they just built a new elementary school and say that there is future plans for a high school...

Ft. Mill/Indian Land isn't too far away which is nice....I don't think it's a bad area for you to move. It's quiet over there from what I hear and yet you still have access to things like dance studios and shopping within a short drive. Good luck!

AmandaEve, I love ya honey, and your enthusiasm for your new home town, but honestly Steele Creek didn't need to be "cleaned up"

It was actually MORE desirable 20 years ago and beyond when it was mostly family farms and homes in the country. The Steele Creek community is actually one of the oldest parts of Charlotte, dating back to the 1700's, including having some of the oldest churches in the county and families that can trace themselves back for generations.

Since growth took off there about 15 years ago it only became less desirable in terms of losing so much countryside to all the new construction neighborhoods. It has never been considered "unsafe" in the past. That is something we started to hear about it in the last 10 years as more retail brought in more opportunity for crime and a few lower cost neighborhoods developed problems with too many homes in foreclosure even prior to the recession. That's all.

Schools suffered there in the late 80's and 1990's as Char/Meck worked to perform some social engineering - but about 5 years ago Olympic High School was selected to be one of the schools the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation infused money and talent into. It was divided into a "community" of schools with each community having it's own principal and programs targeted to kids with individual talents. Their academic numbers have been rising every since. Long time residents of the area are relieved to see the school returning to the great reputation it enjoyed in the 70's and 80's

Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie and Lukes Mom View Post
I am also looking at a house in Fort Mill this weekend. The rent seams to be a little higher in that area. I really want the most for my money as long as it is safe. We are looking for something from 1000 to 1600 a month would prefer to be at about 1300, and 4 bedrooms. Also if I chose the home in Fort Mill my daughter could not go to the North West School of the Arts, from what I understnd you have to live in a certain county. I appreciate every ones respones! I can't wait to move every one seams so friendly.

Correct. Northwest School of the Arts is a Charlotte Mecklenburg school and only Charlotte Mecklenburg residents can attend it.

Fort Mill is in South Carolina and your daughter would attend either Fort Mill or Indian Land Schools if you moved to the Fort Mill area.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,738 times
I currently rent in the SteelCroft sub near 160 and 49 and it is a good, safe sub. Houses are renting for 12-1300 for what you are looking for. A lot of the houses back up to woods, and there is a very nice swimming pool in the sub. There are some neighboring subs that aren't quite as nice. A good mix of races and not too much bass booming from cars. I have been there a year and only heard it a couple times.
I am moving to Fort Mill soon, and think FM is a much nicer area. Steele Creek can have some less desirable areas the farther you go up Tryon away from Lake Wylie. I would stay near there if you can. Yorkshire also looks like a real nice sub to look in.

You can PM me if you have more questions, we will be vacating our 4 bedroom house on June 1st and paid 1250/month.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I currently rent in the SteelCroft sub near 160 and 49 and it is a good, safe sub. Houses are renting for 12-1300 for what you are looking for. A lot of the houses back up to woods, and there is a very nice swimming pool in the sub. There are some neighboring subs that aren't quite as nice. A good mix of races and not too much bass booming from cars. I have been there a year and only heard it a couple times.
I am moving to Fort Mill soon, and think FM is a much nicer area. Steele Creek can have some less desirable areas the farther you go up Tryon away from Lake Wylie. I would stay near there if you can. Yorkshire also looks like a real nice sub to look in.

You can PM me if you have more questions, we will be vacating our 4 bedroom house on June 1st and paid 1250/month.
It's also very nice all the way up Steele Creek Rd. to Shopton Rd. I agree to stay either south of say, Moss Rd. and west of Shopton Rd. and 160. Those are definitely the best areas of Steele Creek, but that'll give you tons to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte