Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
BOA buying Merrill Lynch...(another thread)

Has anyone laughed at your parents or grandparents for being especially frugal? (washing aluminum foil and using it again, etc) Guess what?? That is going to be us. And, I doubt that our offspring will be laughing at us....
I've always been a proud "Frugalist" (is that even a word?) Yes, I re-use wrapping paper if it's not ripped into shreds!

It's not my generation I'm worried about. (Although I know a few people that clearly didn't care about over-spending and over-borrowing.) What worries me are all of the kids out there, that just HAVE TO HAVE....designer clothing, the newest technology, etc., etc. Their parents have managed to get them into a lifestyle that was never within their means. These are children of parents who just never said "NO!"

Remember those days when people where standing in line at Target at 3am, just to get a Wii for their kid for Christmas? Or when Miley Cyrus showed up in Charlotte and parents were willing to pay $500 for a ticket to her concert? I have a feeling those days may be over (for the most part).

The gluttony has "finally" reached a pinnacle!
It's a correction of sorts. Let's get back to teaching our children what's really important in life!
Hopefully they'll all learn from this.

[Stepping off of my soapbox now...]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times
Do you think I was joking when I selected my username? I wasn't; I was deadly serious and now feel like I just barely made it out in time... so maybe should change it.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 AM

56 posts, read 157,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
I hear what your saying but that can happen with any company. You could be a pizza delivery guy at Joe's Pizza Express and then Joe decides sell cars too because he can make more money and the company fails, Joe shouldn't get any help from the taxpayers.

It sucks but as employees we always need to pay attention to how our company is doing and if we see some shady things or hear grumblings, it may be time to look elsewhere.

I would agree that the government should go after those in charge if they can prove negligence, like in Worldcom or Enron.
I totally get you. AIG bit off wayyyy more than it could chew and it shouldn't depend on the gov't to rescue it. But that sentence kinda got to me. They won't get what they deserve. The little guy is gonna get what he doesn't deserve.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
This is certainly not good for people looking to retire in the next few years, but I believe this will blow over in the next 5 years and those that took this opportunity to buy stock in good companies will come out very well.

Plus the Cubs are in first place.

That's the problem then...Someone tell the Cubs to lose out the rest of the season...maybe then, everything will be right with the world, and these market upheavels will stop.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
The gluttony has "finally" reached a pinnacle!
It's a correction of sorts. Let's get back to teaching our children what's really important in life!
Hopefully they'll all learn from this.
I completely agree. However its not just kids. Its parents who have to have the biggest house, nicest landscaping, new cars and giant plasma tvs. There seems to be a huge game up keeping up with the Joneses in this country lately. People can't seem to be happy with what they have.

I wouldn't mind seeing credit companies really start clamping down on credit cards and whatnot too. Then people might start figuring out what's really important in life and that's friends and family not Viking stoves and Coach bags.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
We are doing a complete review. WaMu holds some pension funds - well, a good chunk of ours. We are concerned.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM

172 posts, read 584,486 times
This site tells about state insurance for insurance companies. It covers annunities and policies up to a certain amount. It is different for each state. nolhga.com :: welcome

Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
I completely agree. However its not just kids. Its parents who have to have the biggest house, nicest landscaping, new cars and giant plasma tvs. There seems to be a huge game up keeping up with the Joneses in this country lately. People can't seem to be happy with what they have.

I wouldn't mind seeing credit companies really start clamping down on credit cards and whatnot too. Then people might start figuring out what's really important in life and that's friends and family not Viking stoves and Coach bags.
Good points . . . easy credit has meant debt to a lot of people.

What worries me (in many cases) is the example parents have provided for their kids - "instant gratification."

Old 09-16-2008, 04:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
ALRIGHT EVERYONE! NO FAIR PICKING ON MY CUBBIES!!

If we win the world series, that would make one really crappy year.....THE BEST!!!!!!!!

This year has seen the deaths of my uncle & brother, my job teetering on extinction, (which has the possibility of a bad cascading effect), a friend's betrayal and more stuff that I prefer not to remember it all.. The Cubs winning would just make it all (well, almost) right.

PS: Please tell Steve Bartman to stay in hiding....don't think we Cubs fans could take him another year...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We are doing a complete review. WaMu holds some pension funds - well, a good chunk of ours. We are concerned.
Protected by state pension and insurance laws.
And as far as savings---EACH named account holder protected by FDIC to $100,000EACH. Went to face to face meeting at the bank last week to roll over a CD in me and my brother's name. Made the rep downdown in front of me the regulations in plain lingo. There is no doubt in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte