Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
People are not rude in NYC, it's a large misconception. They are just REALLY BUSY.. nobody has the time to look up, look everyone in the eye and say with a southern accent "Hi! how are you!" Who does that anyway? When people wave at me and I don't know them, it makes me feel weird, I think it's weird! But if you were to actually talk with people, you would find they are nice.. they just don't have time for sweet tea on the porch.
As a former NY'er, I have to agree and disagree about some of these points. Yes, New Yorkers are nice too, but the reason that we don't say "Hi" to everyone as we walk on the street in NYC is not because we're too busy... cause I got news for you... we're just as busy down here. We still have jobs, kids, bills, traffic, grocery shopping, chores, etc... I'm not so sure why you think people here have more time. Last time I checked, our clocks had 24 hours on them too.

The reason why we don't stop to say "Hi" in NYC is that you never know who it is that you'll end up saying it to. Yes, there are nice people there, but there are lots of strange people as well.

And BTW... we might be drinking sweet tea on our porches down here, but in NYC they're either sitting on their fire escapes, front steps or on their beach chairs in front of their garages... and they're not drinking anything sweet.

I'm not talking NYC down... I'm just telling it like it is.

Last edited by MommyV; 10-01-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,984,315 times
In the beginning of this thread I felt a little bad for you because I am fairly new myself and ,though I love it here, I deeply miss my friends and family back home. Now you are really starting to tick me off. It seems like you just keep coming back here to insult people. I think you've probably heard the last of our empathetic posts and should just stop it now. I agree with John (1st time for everything) that you are no voice for NY'rs. Most Northerners that are not happy here seem to be bored with the pace, not the people. If anything, they are amazed at how nice people are down here. Now you just scoot on home and we'll enjoy our tea on the porch without you. Oh...and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Last edited by Doorway; 10-01-2008 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Oh..

Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM

513 posts, read 2,112,519 times
I guess people in NY are much busier than us dumb, lazy, tea-drinkin' rednecks here in good ol' Charlotte. Give me a break. I've lived in Boston, London, Atlanta and Charlotte, among other places. The South is the friendliest place I've been. We are all busy. I go back to MA every summer. So I know that people are without a doubt friendlier here. Every time I go back I am reminded of how rude people are there. I can't believe you're offended by people smiling and saying hello to you! Lighten up!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM

26 posts, read 64,957 times
I recently relocated here from Manhattan, and have found Charlotte (specifically the north county area - Huntersville) to be a wonderful place. I, too, am job hunting in the non-profit sector (resource development). It takes time. You can't come in to town and expect everyone to "respect your experience." You have to prove it all over again... naturally. As happens whenever you relocate someplace new.

Charlotte is defintely going places. I'm excited to be here.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livemusicjosh View Post
I recently relocated here from Manhattan, and have found Charlotte (specifically the north county area - Huntersville) to be a wonderful place. I, too, am job hunting in the non-profit sector (resource development). It takes time. You can't come in to town and expect everyone to "respect your experience." You have to prove it all over again... naturally. As happens whenever you relocate someplace new.

Charlotte is defintely going places. I'm excited to be here.
Hi, Josh! I am so glad you are finding things comfortable here. You are in a neat area w/ the lake nearby - and lots of growth. I wish you could have see Huntersville even 10 years ago. Nothing like today!!!! Still a lot to catch up w/ roads . . . but I think it is a great area to live in.

I hope you are successful soon w/ your job search. If you are in the marketing sector, let me know and I will send you info on the local AMA chapter - a good way to network.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
People are not rude in NYC, it's a large misconception. They are just REALLY BUSY.. nobody has the time to look up, look everyone in the eye and say with a southern accent "Hi! how are you!" Who does that anyway? When people wave at me and I don't know them, it makes me feel weird, I think it's weird! But if you were to actually talk with people, you would find they are nice.. they just don't have time for sweet tea on the porch.
Well, hey there, Miss Sunnie! Just thought I would mosey on in the house . . . been sitting out on my veranda, with my big ole jug o' Sweet Tea, waving to my neighbors, who are shuffling 'round the block, taking their evening constitutional walk.

What a pleasant day I have had here in South Charlotte. Nothing much to do but deal w/ my clients in my usual slow paced way. I tried really really hard not to drop my R's while conversing w/ one of my New York clients this afternoon.

Oh yes! Can you believe that! All the marketing and PR firms up there in the Big Apple and some of those execs choose to do bizness w/ a Southern Gal. How 'bout that. Amazin'. They really love the individual attention I give them. And it works out so well for me. I can just sit out on my veranda w/ my laptop and bill out hours while I wave at my neighbors and watch my roses grow. Of course, in addition to that NYC conference call, I did edit one document today . . . and let's see . . . worked on some website copy . . . wrote up a contract . . . worked w/ a client on a publishing project . . . and billed out 8.5 hours.

I also had a big ole chunk of chocolate cake, walked my dog (pronounced DAWG) and pulled some weeds on the side of the house. Not to mention doing 2 loads of laundry, but that doesn't count. Did that b/f breakfast.

Well, just wanted to tell you I have been thinkin' bout ya and hoping you will find some friends to hang with . . . or maybe a job . . . so you can feel part of the community. I am sorry to find out you have a phobia about waving to people and talking w/ friendly Southerners. I would suspect that explains why no one has welcomed you into their circle yet.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM

51 posts, read 142,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh yes! Can you believe that! All the marketing and PR firms up there in the Big Apple and some of those execs choose to do bizness w/ a Southern Gal. How 'bout that. Amazin'. They really love the individual attention I give them. And it works out so well for me. I can just sit out on my veranda w/ my laptop and bill out hours while I wave at my neighbors and watch my roses grow. Of course, in addition to that NYC conference call, I did edit one document today . . . and let's see . . . worked on some website copy . . . wrote up a contract . . . worked w/ a client on a publishing project . . . and billed out 8.5 hours.
I suppose using points of ellipsis rather than periods allows one to bill more hours.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
I'm moving down from South Jersey at the end of the month & one reason I'm going is because people talk to each other, just like they do here & in Philly & most places.

Ummmm.......... This will probably darned near scare you, but people stop in the middle of the sidewalk in Philly & talk when they see people they know. That's right, people walk around them. Cashiers & customers talk to each other, too.

I'm leaving here, but I want to be someplace where people interact. Being nice to other people doesn't cost you a penny. Try it, it might surprise you.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
Well, it sounds like you were smart to lease, rather than buy for one thing. We moved here to get more house for our money and it's not a 'so what' issue, it greatly improved our quality of life. We got the good schools that we wanted and the better weather, too. Sure, we could move to Idaho and find a nice house but it wouldn't have the weather. There are too many safe and affordable neighborhoods to list, a realtor could tell you dozens.

The crime and traffic seem worse here, but it's only an illusion. Here's an example of what I mean. The Charlotte traffic reporters tell you about every back-up and accident. So, on a given morning, you might hear about 6 trouble spots and it sounds bad. Now, compare that to an icy day I remember on the Garden State Parkway, where there were 87, yes, 87 minor accidents and spin-offs in one commute! It would've taken hours just to document them all and that's just one highway! Last week, New Town Road actually made the morning traffic report here. In NY, even the Lincoln Tunnel barely gets mentioned if it's not more than a 10 minute delay, big difference. As far as crime goes, you don't hear about everything in NY, they have to pick and choose the most sensational stories. Critics have said that black on black crime is especially unreported by the media in NY, but if a white tourist is murdered, it's the first story read on the air by Sue Simmons. In Charlotte, they tend to report everything they can. They even report burglaries sometimes- on TV! Do you really think that in Queens or Long Island that there are never times when someone is robbed when they are at home? Down here, it instantly becomes a home invasion and the top TV news story, while in NY, it wouldn't even make a local paper. Think about it.

Charlotte is not New York but it does offer some things to do. You could've seen the Broadway version of Wicked here and the sporting events are pretty good. While there is no baseball, there are extra things like ACC basketball games. There are things to do, even Disney is only a 9 hour drive away. There's not as much to do as NY or even Philly, it's a much smaller city and that won't change for many years, it's a trade off that people make for their kids. Last December, my son had a few days where he played outside in shorts and sandals, we are happy to give up a lot of adult diversions for days like that.

Overall, you seem pretty down on Charlotte and going home is probably for the best.
Ha, Sue Simmons - if she could only get through one newscast without making a mistake or mispronunciation - or apparently cursing.

But you are correct, with 8 million stories in the naked city (NY) and 20 million in the metro area and 1.3 million in each Nassau and Suffolk, only the most sensational stories make the cut for a half hour newscast. Couple that with the stories that are considered national and global that are local to NYC, that leaves even less time for the more mundane local stories, even murders.

Local papers do cover more, albeit not all, and not everybody reads them. Even fewer read things like the “Police Beat” sections. Newsday’s section saved up the stories like break-ins, thefts, vandalism, muggings and such for Sunday’s edition. It was there I would find out about the number of these things that happened in my “safe” former town of Massapequa Park. A lot of break-ins that looked to be drug related for money, teen violence and vandalism – much more than most people realize because it wasn’t on the 6 or 11 PM news. Same goes for traffic, as you said.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,389,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
As a former NY'er, I have to agree and disagree about some of these points. Yes, New Yorkers are nice too, but the reason that we don't say "Hi" to everyone as we walk on the street in NYC is not because we're too busy... cause I got news for you... we're just as busy down here. We still have jobs, kids, bills, traffic, grocery shopping, chores, etc... I'm not so sure why you think people here have more time. Last time I checked, our clocks had 24 hours on them too.

The reason why we don't stop to say "Hi" in NYC is that you never know who it is that you'll end up saying it to. Yes, there are nice people there, but there are lots of strange people as well.

And BTW... we might be drinking sweet tea on our porches down here, but in NYC they're either sitting on their fire escapes, front steps or on their beach chairs in front of their garages... and they're not drinking anything sweet.

I'm not talking NYC down... I'm just telling it like it is.
LOL...coming from bklyn your so right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte